Chances at BU BC NE ND UCONN (165;3.35) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ejed09

New

Chances at BU BC NE ND UCONN (165;3.35)

Post by ejed09 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Sorry if your reading this twice; i posted it by mistake on the LSAT forum page. (Cut me some slack im a newbie to TLS ;) )

Hey,

Im rather new to TLS (this is my first post actually) and was hoping to get some input on a few schools im applying to)

Stats:

LSAT: 165 DEC; 154 SEPT - I was sick during the SEPT test and in retrospect should def not have taken it. I visited a doctor a few days before the test and he said he'd be willing to write a letter stating my illness negatively effect my performance on the SEPT test (not sure if that matters at all)

UGPA: 3.35 from BU. My steadily risen; For the first two years it was bellow a 3.00 (thanks PREMED!), but since that point I've maintained close to 3.70. I talk about this in my personal statement a bit (my troubles in PREMED) and i'm considering adding an addendum detailing this further.

I think my extracurricular are quite solid. I have leadership position in my schools ski club, cultural club. I have done several internship (albeit in FINANCE) over the past two years at State Street Bank and Merrill Lynch.

I believe my personal statements and LOR will also be quite strong.

I'm Looking to apply to BC, BU, Villanova, Notre Dame, Northeastern, UCONN, and a few safeties.

Do you guys think i have a decent chance at any of the above schools? My (highest) LSAT falls in range with all the schools, however I'm also aware that my GPA, in most cases, falls outside of the 25th percentile range. Any chance the schools will legitimately factor in the difficulty of the course load i took my first two years in college (Premed Class at BU tend to have a average grade of C+)?

Thanks in advance for your input. Happy New Year!

rw2264

Bronze

Re: Chances at BU BC NE ND UCONN (165;3.35)

Post by rw2264 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:51 pm

ejed09 wrote:Sorry if your reading this twice; i posted it by mistake on the LSAT forum page. (Cut me some slack im a newbie to TLS ;) )

Hey,

Im rather new to TLS (this is my first post actually) and was hoping to get some input on a few schools im applying to)

Stats:

LSAT: 165 DEC; 154 SEPT - I was sick during the SEPT test and in retrospect should def not have taken it. I visited a doctor a few days before the test and he said he'd be willing to write a letter stating my illness negatively effect my performance on the SEPT test (not sure if that matters at all)

UGPA: 3.35 from BU. My steadily risen; For the first two years it was bellow a 3.00 (thanks PREMED!), but since that point I've maintained close to 3.70. I talk about this in my personal statement a bit (my troubles in PREMED) and i'm considering adding an addendum detailing this further.

I think my extracurricular are quite solid. I have leadership position in my schools ski club, cultural club. I have done several internship (albeit in FINANCE) over the past two years at State Street Bank and Merrill Lynch.

I believe my personal statements and LOR will also be quite strong.

I'm Looking to apply to BC, BU, Villanova, Notre Dame, Northeastern, UCONN, and a few safeties.

Do you guys think i have a decent chance at any of the above schools? My (highest) LSAT falls in range with all the schools, however I'm also aware that my GPA, in most cases, falls outside of the 25th percentile range. Any chance the schools will legitimately factor in the difficulty of the course load i took my first two years in college (Premed Class at BU tend to have a average grade of C+)?

Thanks in advance for your input. Happy New Year!
most schools nowadays take your highest LSAT score. there's a post on this forum somewhere about it, maybe search or possibly someone will link it for you.

BC--out
BU--out
Villanova--safety
Notre Dame--out
NE--safety
UConn--in

i think your list is bottom heavy. your GPA is fine and your LSAT is good (don't let this forum convince you the 90th percentile isn't good) but besides your three reaches (BC/BU/Notre Dame) you don't really have any fits--your other options are pretty much safeties. you should go to lawschoolpredictor.com or lawschoolcalculator.com and look at some of the schools that have a probability of closer to 50% (your reaches are all in the 20s, and the rest are 80+). or go to lawschoolnumbers.com and see where people with your stats applied.

also, welcome to the forum. extracurriculars are part of what people here call your "softs," which consist of your clubs/leadership/volunteer work, actual work, basically anything unique about you that would contribute to your applcation. just fyi, i had no idea what people were talking about for about a week when they said softs.

rw2264

Bronze

Re: Chances at BU BC NE ND UCONN (165;3.35)

Post by rw2264 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:57 pm

ejed09 wrote: Do you guys think i have a decent chance at any of the above schools? My (highest) LSAT falls in range with all the schools, however I'm also aware that my GPA, in most cases, falls outside of the 25th percentile range. Any chance the schools will legitimately factor in the difficulty of the course load i took my first two years in college (Premed Class at BU tend to have a average grade of C+)?
also, as far as the premed thing goes, the answer is "maybe a little bit." i've heard of schools taking into consideration difficult majors when they are in engineering or hard sciences, but i'm not sure how premed would fit into that equation. i assume law schools get a lot of people who were formerly premed whose GPAs suffered from it.

i wouldn't count on it to help you too much. just apply anyway. 50% of people get in with GPAs below the mean by definition, a comforting fact people tend to forget.

Return to “What are my chances?”