Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
maximus34998

New

Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Post by maximus34998 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:29 am

I got a 173 on the Dec. LSAT, which was about 5 points than I thought, so my list of schools has changed from what I thought it would be a week ago. I have a 3.65 from a TTTT UG---this is what worries me. My softs are the same as everyone else's I guess; decent PS, good LORs, extracurriculars, community service, and I've worked full time since I was 17.

Here is my list:

Chicago
Michigan
Virginia
Duke
Northwestern
Texas
WUSTL
Illinois
Washington & Lee
UGA (in-state)

Is this list good? Should I add any other school as a reach or as a safety? From what I've read, with a 173 and being in-state, UGA should be pretty much a lock. Anyone care to share their opinion?

Tanicius

Gold

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Post by Tanicius » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:32 am

maximus34998 wrote:I got a 173 on the Dec. LSAT, which was about 5 points than I thought, so my list of schools has changed from what I thought it would be a week ago. I have a 3.65 from a TTTT UG---this is what worries me. My softs are the same as everyone else's I guess; decent PS, good LORs, extracurriculars, community service, and I've worked full time since I was 17.

Here is my list:

Chicago
Michigan
Virginia
Duke
Northwestern
Texas
WUSTL
Illinois
Washington & Lee
UGA (in-state)

Is this list good? Should I add any other school as a reach or as a safety? From what I've read, with a 173 and being in-state, UGA should be pretty much a lock. Anyone care to share their opinion?
Don't go to UGA unless they give you a full ride, which they should.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:35 am

Chicago-In
Michigan-WL or In
Virginia-WL or In
Duke-In
Northwestern-In
Texas-In
WUSTL-In
Illinois-Why are you applying Here?
Washington & Lee-???
UGA (in-state)-In w/ full scholarship

Take away Illinois and Washington & Lee and add Vandy, NYU, and Columbia.
Vandy-In
NYU-In
Columbia-WL or In

Bronze

Post by 4910 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:36 am

I think you should try NYU and Columbia and see if they bite. You would definitely get into those two with ED. Harvard is a big reach and you never know with Stanford and Yale.

anibulbul

New

Post by anibulbul » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:37 pm

4910 wrote:I think you should try NYU and Columbia and see if they bite. You would definitely get into those two with ED. Harvard is a big reach and you never know with Stanford and Yale.
With a 3.65 GPA, I know how the OP's HYS applications will go.
Not sure why anybody on his right mind would discourage OP from sending an application to NYU and Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:41 pm

To be fair, Illinois and W&L both have auto fee waivers, so it's no big deal to submit there. Plus, if they offer big $$$, OP can potentially use that to leverage some $ out of the other schools if he/she chooses to negotiate. I don't see the harm in submitting there, it can't hurt to have options.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Notor wrote:To be fair, Illinois and W&L both have auto fee waivers, so it's no big deal to submit there. Plus, if they offer big $$$, OP can potentially use that to leverage some $ out of the other schools if he/she chooses to negotiate. I don't see the harm in submitting there, it can't hurt to have options.
True, good point.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Last edited by stratocophic on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:59 pm

barrinmb wrote:
Notor wrote:To be fair, Illinois and W&L both have auto fee waivers, so it's no big deal to submit there. Plus, if they offer big $$$, OP can potentially use that to leverage some $ out of the other schools if he/she chooses to negotiate. I don't see the harm in submitting there, it can't hurt to have options.
Is leveraging comparable schools' offers against each other a legit/common bargaining tactic? Haven't heard of this before.
Very legit. Not common, but people on TLS seem to do it often enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
barrinmb wrote:
Is leveraging comparable schools' offers against each other a legit/common bargaining tactic? Haven't heard of this before.
Very legit. Not common, but people on TLS seem to do it often enough.
Good to know. I recall from undergrad that every school I applied to told applicants in advance that you could shove off if leveraging offers was your plan and wondered if it was the same.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:04 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Chicago-In
Michigan-WL or In
Virginia-WL or In
Duke-In
Northwestern-In
Texas-In
WUSTL-In
Washington & Lee-???

Vandy-In
NYU-In
Columbia-WL or In
Why in at Chicago but a WL at Virginia/Michigan?

Curious because I have similar stats...

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:05 pm

scribelaw wrote:
Michigan-WL or In
Virginia-WL or In
Duke-In
Northwestern-In
Texas-In
WUSTL-In
Washington & Lee-???

Vandy-In
NYU-In
Columbia-WL or In

Its called YP bro, look at LSN.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:11 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
Michigan-WL or In
Virginia-WL or In
Duke-In
Northwestern-In
Texas-In
WUSTL-In
Washington & Lee-???

Vandy-In
NYU-In
Columbia-WL or In

I thought YP was for numbers suggesting that the school was more likely a safety to the applicant or something similar to that def? Numbers seem a bit low to suggest that for UVA/Mich, right in the range for UVA's graph on LSN

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:12 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whatisthis

Bronze

Post by Whatisthis » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:13 pm

You're almost a lock at NYU and you'll probably get into Chicago as well. ED would give you a good shoot at Columbia, if your goal is to get into the highest rank school. Are you applying this cycle?

If you interested in money, you're looking at significant cash from U of Texas on down.

Good Luck!

maximus34998

New

Post by maximus34998 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:46 pm

You're almost a lock at NYU and you'll probably get into Chicago as well. ED would give you a good shoot at Columbia, if your goal is to get into the highest rank school. Are you applying this cycle?

If you interested in money, you're looking at significant cash from U of Texas on down.

Good Luck!
Thanks! I am applying this cycle, so ED anywhere is out...it's good to hear I've got a good chance in the T14, and cash at Texas, etc. For some reason, I really don't want to live in New York right now. 3 years from now, maybe. But I'd say Michigan/UVA are my top choices just because I'd like to live in AA or C'Ville while I'm still in school.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:44 pm

barrinmb wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
Michigan-WL or In
Virginia-WL or In
Duke-In
Northwestern-In
Texas-In
WUSTL-In
Washington & Lee-???

Vandy-In
NYU-In
Columbia-WL or In

I thought YP was for numbers suggesting that the school was more likely a safety to the applicant or something similar to that def? Numbers seem a bit low to suggest that for UVA/Mich, right in the range for UVA's graph on LSN
Here are the results for people with the OP numbers at UVA last year
http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

Seems as though WL is pretty likely to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:45 pm

maximus34998 wrote:

Good Luck!
Thanks! I am applying this cycle, so ED anywhere is out...it's good to hear I've got a good chance in the T14, and cash at Texas, etc. For some reason, I really don't want to live in New York right now. 3 years from now, maybe. But I'd say Michigan/UVA are my top choices just because I'd like to live in AA or C'Ville while I'm still in school.
If you want to go to UVA or Mich and they are your top choices let them know that. Email/write why essays or just flat out tell them that they are your top choices. Your chance of acceptance is much higher if they think you will actually matriculate.

Your numbers are good enough but you have to let them know how you feel about the school.

maximus34998

New

Post by maximus34998 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:37 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
maximus34998 wrote:

Good Luck!
If you want to go to UVA or Mich and they are your top choices let them know that. Email/write why essays or just flat out tell them that they are your top choices. Your chance of acceptance is much higher if they think you will actually matriculate.

Your numbers are good enough but you have to let them know how you feel about the school.
Thanks for the advice! With UVA, I didn't see any instructions about a "Why UVA" essay. Should I write one and submit it through LSAC, even though I've already submitted the application? Will it get submitted to them automatically if I do this?

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:42 pm

if you already submitted, email the admissions office directly with a copy attached to your email

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:45 pm

You can just email them directly, submit the "Why UVA" and tell them how you feel.

Also, if you can afford/have time to visit the school and talk to Admissions that can go a long way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”