2.7 GPA, URM...HYSCCN? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

2.7 GPA, URM...HYSCCN?

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:14 pm

With a 2.7 and a massive upward trend for the last 2.5 years, and being a URM, is there any conceivable way that any of HYSCCN would admit me? Would a 175+ on the LSAT, combined with a year or two of good work experience, do the trick? I feel like numbers are everything at these schools, but I still would like to try.

GTman11

New

Re: 2.7 GPA, URM...HYSCCN?

Post by GTman11 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:26 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:With a 2.7 and a massive upward trend for the last 2.5 years, and being a URM, is there any conceivable way that any of HYSCCN would admit me? Would a 175+ on the LSAT, combined with a year or two of good work experience, do the trick? I feel like numbers are everything at these schools, but I still would like to try.
Anything is possible...but I'd take HYS off that list..score a 178+ and you'll have a shot at 1 of the other 3...

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:29 pm

GTman11 wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:With a 2.7 and a massive upward trend for the last 2.5 years, and being a URM, is there any conceivable way that any of HYSCCN would admit me? Would a 175+ on the LSAT, combined with a year or two of good work experience, do the trick? I feel like numbers are everything at these schools, but I still would like to try.
Anything is possible...but I'd take HYS off that list..score a 178+ and you'll have a shot at 1 of the other 3...
With a 178+ and some good softs, possibly. Realistically though, study hard for the LSAT and work your ass off and you could end up somewhere nice.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:31 pm

GTman11 wrote:
really? I think the GPA disqualifies OP from the T6 regardless of LSAT score.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:32 pm

Didn't look at HYS, but the six cycles documented on LSN are bad news bears for you regarding CCN, with the exceptions of this guy:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/reup/jd
this guy:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Lucky123456/jd
and this guy (weak, weirdly detailed flame??):
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BigStrongBlackie/jd
Honestly, for me it would depend on whether I valued a faint glimmer of hope over ~$70. Or, if you could get fee waivers, $12 (probably worth it).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MorningHood

New

Post by MorningHood » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:34 pm

Drake014 wrote:
GTman11 wrote:
With a 178+ and some good softs, possibly. Realistically though, study hard for the LSAT and work your ass off and you could end up somewhere nice.
Anything's possible with a URM. But a 175/2.7 would probably get you denied at all six of those schools - maybe NYU would be okay, since they seem to like 175+ GPAs. I'm not very sure on this. But the rest of the schools.. good luck.

My honest guess is that you'll probably need 178+ to even be considered for CCN. But T14 schools look like reaches for you if you do in fact get that kind of score, which is statistically unlikely for those who are URM.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:37 pm

MorningHood wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
GTman11 wrote:
Anything's possible with a URM. But a 175/2.7 would probably get you denied at all six of those schools - maybe NYU would be okay, since they seem to like 175+ GPAs. I'm not very sure on this. But the rest of the schools.. good luck.

My honest guess is that you'll probably need 178+ to even be considered for CCN. But T14 schools look like reaches for you if you do in fact get that kind of score, which is statistically unlikely for those who are URM.
Getting a 99th percentile score is statistically unlikely for anyone by definition.

GTman11

New

Post by GTman11 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:40 pm

superserial wrote:
GTman11 wrote:
I agree with you 83%

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:42 pm

GTman11 wrote:
superserial wrote:
GTman11 wrote:
I agree with you 83%
Nah. I've seen URMs with 3.0s and low 170s make it in. A 2.7 with a high 170s would probably make it into one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MorningHood

New

Post by MorningHood » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:42 pm

Oh snaps... I guess that was a major stats fail eh : (

No, but in all seriousness, the rate at which URMs achieve that highly unlikely score range is significantly lower than non-URM test takers.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:44 pm

MorningHood wrote:Oh snaps... I guess that was a major stats fail eh : (

No, but in all seriousness, the rate at which URMs achieve that highly unlikely score range is significantly lower than non-URM test takers.
So if the OP wasn't a URM you'd think he'd be a shoe in to get a score that less than 1 in 100 people get?

MorningHood

New

Post by MorningHood » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:46 pm

Drake014 wrote: Nah. I've seen URMs with 3.0s and low 170s make it in. A 2.7 with a high 170s would probably make it into one.
This underscores the significant degree of help URMs receive in the admission process... but then again, I think the above post gives the impression that there's a lot more hope than there really is.

MorningHood

New

Post by MorningHood » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:46 pm

Drake014 wrote:

So if the OP wasn't a URM you'd think he'd be a shoe in to get a score that less than 1 in 100 people get?
No.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:48 pm

For the record, I'm not the URM type who came from a financially disadvantaged family situation or came from a tough neighborhood. I don't even look URM. The chances of me getting a 175+ are equally as tiny as the next average looking white guy. I know this, but I have hope.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:48 pm

If you're black, and get a 175+, and did ED you would probably get into NYU.

Just so you know, that might have to at least do with the fact that there are thousands less URMs taking the LSAT than Caucasians.

Drake014 wrote:So if the OP wasn't a URM you'd think he'd be a shoe in to get a score that less than 1 in 100 people get?
At this point nothing on here said about URMs should surprise you. The cold hard truth is that a lot of people simply don't like minorities/URMs, and as a result have no qualms about making these types of comments behind the thinly veiled shield of "disagreeing with affirmative action". Also, I've noticed a long time ago that many people on here really seem to be confused as to what 99th percentile means.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:52 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:For the record, I'm not the URM type who came from a financially disadvantaged family situation or came from a tough neighborhood. I don't even look URM. The chances of me getting a 175+ are equally as tiny as the next average looking white guy. I know this, but I have hope.
schools haven't started physically inspecting people for URM status yet, but I've heard character and fitness can get pretty handsy...

MorningHood

New

Post by MorningHood » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:52 pm

kurama20 wrote: Just so you know, that might have to at least do with the fact that there are thousands less URMs taking the LSAT than Caucasians.

You might be right in saying this. All that I was claiming is this: ceteris paribus, the percentage of URMs with 99th percentile scores is a lot lower than that of Non-URMs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:53 pm

superserial wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:For the record, I'm not the URM type who came from a financially disadvantaged family situation or came from a tough neighborhood. I don't even look URM. The chances of me getting a 175+ are equally as tiny as the next average looking white guy. I know this, but I have hope.
schools haven't started physically inspecting people for URM status yet, but I've heard character and fitness can get pretty handsy...
I don't know what you're implying, but I am a URM, no lie. No character or fitness issues there, if that's what you meant.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:54 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
superserial wrote:
I don't know what you're implying, but I am a URM, no lie. No character or fitness issues there, if that's what you meant.
I was saying it doesn't matter if you look like a URM or not, because you said you "don't even look URM." chill.

MorningHood

New

Post by MorningHood » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:56 pm

superserial wrote:
All that he's implying is that since you don't appear to be a URM, you might not qualify as one. There are cases where Caucasians that are 1/64 Native American attempting to apply as URM and what not. And I'm sure a lot of other things went through his mind, like:

-you dun like hispanic
-you dun like black
-asians don't count

UNLESS.... you're Half Hispanic, Half Black, and Half PIG

Andrew the Wolverine

Bronze

Post by Andrew the Wolverine » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:57 pm

superserial wrote:
superserial wrote:
I was saying it doesn't matter if you look like a URM or not, because you said you "don't even look URM." chill.
Ok I understand that, but I meant that my URM status wouldn't have any affect on my LSAT chances like being underprivileged might.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:58 pm

kurama20 wrote:If you're black, and get a 175+, and did ED you would probably get into NYU.

Just so you know, that might have to at least do with the fact that there are thousands less URMs taking the LSAT than Caucasians.

Drake014 wrote:So if the OP wasn't a URM you'd think he'd be a shoe in to get a score that less than 1 in 100 people get?

At this point nothing on here said about URMs should surprise you. The cold hard truth is that a lot of people simply don't like minorities/URMs, and as a result have no qualms about making these types of comments behind the thinly veiled shield of "disagreeing with affirmative action". Also, I've noticed a long time ago that many people on here really seem to be confused as to what 99th percentile means.
+1000

MorningHood

New

Post by MorningHood » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:59 pm

Ok I understand that, but I meant that my URM status wouldn't have any affect on my LSAT chances like being underprivileged might.
I think some people are putting too much weight onto that URM/LSAT score comment. Don't sweat it, honestly.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:00 am

Well, that makes it sound as though we all just get allotted our fair 0.5% chance of a 175+, which is not the case. You're the best judge of what your personal chances are.

DoctorNick189

Bronze

Post by DoctorNick189 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:21 am

kurama20 wrote:If you're black, and get a 175+, and did ED you would probably get into NYU.

No.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”