Best NYU restaurants and bars... Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
underdawg

Silver

Re: Best NYU restaurants and bars...

Post by underdawg » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:38 pm

yeah suzie's on bleeker is pretty good. i feel bad though since chinatown is so close but it's either a 30+ min round trip walk or $4 on the subway both ways, but then it'd be more expensive than suzie's $8 lunch special. damn, suzie's management are pretty smart...
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gannak

New

Post by gannak » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:55 pm

mgrogan wrote:I know this is supposed to be about NYU, but can anyone rec. any places around Fordham? Thanks in advance
you can search by neighborhood at menupages.com

rosa mexicana across the street from lincoln center is fantastic, but a little pricey. bistro cassis on columbus between 70th and 71st is great at lunch, one of my favorites. there's also a great turkish restaurant on 72nd at broadway called seven's that has great lunch specials, salad and big kebab meal for $12 before 3pm. if you like russian food, uncle vanya on 54th between 8th and 9th ave is really good. if you walk a few blocks down 9th ave from there it is like thai heaven. tons and tons of little thai places, all wicked cheap.

fordham is literally a block away from the columbus circle whole foods, which has an epic salad bar and buffet, plus a pizza bar and lots of fresh sushi.

there is a chain restaurant in nyc called "le pain quotidien" that has inexpensive food, yummy tartines and always different soups and pastries. also good for just a pot of tea. there is one at 65th and columbus, and another at 58th on 7th avenue.

for those of you around NYU, if you are vegetarian or enjoy vegetarian food, go to SACRED CHOW on sullivan street. their subs are the END of the WORLD. i'm serious-- the meatball sub with vegan mozzarella, to die for. to die.

Cartwright4

New

Post by Cartwright4 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:15 am

So, I have spent my undergrad career at NYU and have racked up the experiences (and calories) that only the Village can offer. The following is a list, in no particular order and certainly not authoritative, of some my favorites (note: all my favorites are based on a student's budget - you will find no Nobus or Sushi Sambas on this list). Any disagreements or places I have overlooked, I would love to hear about them since there is no better way to spend your final semester than with some great food and beer. Without further ado:

MOST UNIQUE BAR EXPERIENCE:
McSorley's, 15 East 7th Street
If you've been to the area but have never been to McSorley's, you have missed a true cultural experience. This place can be intimidating, but sitting down at one of the old scratched-up tables where Kennedy, Pataki, etc. once sat, with their pictures hanging on the wall and sawdust all over the floor under you, simply nothing is more sublime. Until you try the beer that is. There are only 2 options: dark or light. Each order ($4.50) gets you 2 mugs, no less. These are the rules, and the old, worn out but heart-of-gold Irish bartenders will not be patient with your learning process. But the beer is worth it, and the experience leaves you with a true NYC memory.

BAR WITH THE MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK:
Cooper 35 Asian Pub, 35 Cooper Square
Aside from the fact that you get free nachos and salsa just for sitting down (with refills), you get a huge variety of mixed drinks for no more than four dollars. This is simply unbeatable, and will make (and has made) for great, drunken nights. It should also be mentioned that the service is great, the environment is fun (especially when it's warm and the courtyard is open), and the owner, a little Asian lady named Asa, is simply an angel. If you get to know her, which is not hard, she will give you free shots and drinks for the rest of your life.

BAR THAT'S BEST FOR THE SPORTS GAME:
Town Tavern, 134 West 3rd Street
The deals here during Yankee or Mets games (or any other big sports events) are simply awesome. Two-for-ones, dollar beers, free shots, you name it. Also a great place to meet people. I also hear they give free shots during episodes of 24 whenever Jack kills someone, though this could be an urban legend...

MOST VIBRANT BAR:
The Village Pourhouse, 64 Third Avenue
Great, vibrant place with good food and good drinks and a huge space in the back for parties. Always something going on here...

BAR WHERE YOU ARE MOST LIKELY TO MEET SOMEONE FAMOUS:
Phebe's, 359 Bowery
Not really true, but I did once meet Steve Nash here! It was awesome. Not a bad bar either...

BEST BAR FOR THE BEER CONNOISSEUR:
Burp Castle, 41 East 7th Street
Great variety of awesome Belgian and German beers. Better IMO than The Belgian Room, though many might disagree...

BEST SUSHI:
Sushi Lounge, 132 St. Mark's Place
I should preface this by saying that I know there are plenty of awesome sushi places around NYU and that this one gets a rep for being cheap and sub-par because of its "Half-Price" deal. I will vouch for the sheer awesomeness of this place though. The sushi is fresh, the service is quick, and the prices are RIDICULOUSLY low. Highly recommended.

BEST PIZZA:
Joe's Pizza, 7 Carmine Street
Aside from Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, this might be the best pizza place in the city. Step in, get a pie, enjoy... (Patsy's Pizza on 67 University Place gets an honorable mention for an awesome vegetable pizza).

BEST DESSERT:
Veniero's, 342 East 11th Street
Believe me when I say this, you have never had dessert till you come to Veniero's. Max Brenner in Union Square is also very good (especially for a date), but Veneiro's is simply in a league of its own when it comes to pastries.

BEST FALAFEL/SHWARMA:
Mamoun's, 119 MacDougal Street
The original, the cheapest, the best. The long line is worth it.

BEST CHINESE:
Suzie's, 163 Bleecker Street
This is not overwhelming, and if given the time I would probably rather just head over to Chinatown to one of the awesome bakeries there. But Suzie's is ALWAYS good, dependable quality Chinese food with excellent service.

BEST BBQ:
Mara's Homemade, 342 East 6th Street
Deep in the East Village, this place is not well-known but has the best BBQ in the city. While noobs will go to Brother Jimmy's in Midtown (or worse, the big BBQ place near NYU), this is where the best barbecue and Cajun food really is.

BEST MEXICAN:
El Cantinero, 86 University Place
To be honest, most of the time I just go with Chipotle. But the food and Margaritas here justify occasionally skipping the fast-food burrito.

BEST VIETNAMESE/THAI:
Saigon Grill, 91 University Place
Pretty controversial since they were sued for enslaving their workers (true story) but the pad thai here is just ridiculously good. Portions are enormous, prices are small, and service is good, perhaps too much so?

BEST INDIAN:
Raj Mahal, 322 East 6th Street
For a six-dollar lunch special, you get soup, samosas, naan with jams, an entree, a dessert, and a drink. I didn't believe it either.

BEST BURGER:
Blue 9 Burger, 92 Third Avenue
Admittedly, I haven't tried Rare, which people seem to say is the best burger in the neighborhood. There are also a number of great weekend brunch deals at very upscale places that'll give you discounted burgers which will blow your mind. But for your burger, fries, and shake fix, Blue 9 is definitely a great option.

BEST KOREAN:
Gama, 12 St. Marks Place
Great, great Korean food if you don't want to trek to K-Town.

BEST SANDWICHES:
Katz's Deli, 205 East Houston Street
While Katz's has become almost a cliche, it's still the original Jewish deli and it still rocks. A little on the pricey side, but definitely worth the occasional visit.

BEST VEGETARIAN:
Sacred Chow, 227 Sullivan Street
I didn't hate it. That says a lot coming from me for a vegetarian place.

BEST SUPERMARKET BUFFET:
The Whole Foods in Union Square or on Houston Street
Yeah, this shouldn't be a category but goddamn do they have a ridiculously delicious buffet. This ain't your mother's supermarket.

BEST BOOKSTORE:
The Strand, 828 Broadway
While the B&N in Union Square is a great and wide-open space to kill time, the Strand is the ultimate book lover's paradise.

BEST MOVIE THEATER:
Sunshine Cinema, 143 East Houston Street
Known as the hippest theater in NYC, it plays some truly awesome movies that you can't find at the Regal or UA.

BEST PARK:
Washington Square Park
Where else can you be offered to buy drugs a dozen times in 15 minutes, next to the dog run by the chess players? *SIGH* I will miss it....

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:56 pm

lol at the park, i saw this huge scary dude scream at a little kid. she started crying and then he said "i was just kidding!!" as her mom quickly got her out of there
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cartwright4

New

Post by Cartwright4 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:59 pm

Yeah, I had watched that scene in Kids where they kill the poor guy in the park right before I started school there so I think I expected it to be like Fallujah or something. Turns out it's a really mellow, nice place to just hang out or eat a sandwich, although the current construction to move the fountain over an inch just makes you scratch your head.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joepa

New

Post by joepa » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:03 pm

The best pizza isn't Joe's, it's John's on Bleecker

Cartwright4

New

Post by Cartwright4 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:43 am

You're right, John's is pretty awesome. But I think Joe's beats it in the end. (I should also mention that, in terms of value, nothing beats $1 slices from 2 Bros on St. Marks.)

nyujd11

New

Re: Best NYU restaurants and bars... FOOD BLOG

Post by nyujd11 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:02 pm

This is shameless self-promotion, but also could be helful...

my friend and I (both NYU JD students) have a food blog called idcrossthestreetforthat.wordpress.com

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:16 am

reviews are way too long dude
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:48 am

gannak wrote:
mgrogan wrote:I know this is supposed to be about NYU, but can anyone rec. any places around Fordham? Thanks in advance
you can search by neighborhood at menupages.com

rosa mexicana across the street from lincoln center is fantastic, but a little pricey. bistro cassis on columbus between 70th and 71st is great at lunch, one of my favorites. there's also a great turkish restaurant on 72nd at broadway called seven's that has great lunch specials, salad and big kebab meal for $12 before 3pm. if you like russian food, uncle vanya on 54th between 8th and 9th ave is really good. if you walk a few blocks down 9th ave from there it is like thai heaven. tons and tons of little thai places, all wicked cheap.

fordham is literally a block away from the columbus circle whole foods, which has an epic salad bar and buffet, plus a pizza bar and lots of fresh sushi.

there is a chain restaurant in nyc called "le pain quotidien" that has inexpensive food, yummy tartines and always different soups and pastries. also good for just a pot of tea. there is one at 65th and columbus, and another at 58th on 7th avenue.

for those of you around NYU, if you are vegetarian or enjoy vegetarian food, go to SACRED CHOW on sullivan street. their subs are the END of the WORLD. i'm serious-- the meatball sub with vegan mozzarella, to die for. to die.
+ a huge ton. Minimao took me there last year-- it is to die for.

Also, Spice (the location on 4th Ave and 10th St.) They have a lunch special for about $8.

Best bar? Bourgeois Pig. I think they still have half price bottles of wine on Mondays and Tuesdays.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:26 am

It may be about 10 blocks away from NYU, but Benny Burrito's on Greenwich Ave is great mexican food and cheap/strong drinks. Always a dependable spot.

martin_23

New

Post by martin_23 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:01 am

SPAM

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:13 pm

Saigon Shack is the most popular destination for law students, but the waits have become annoying. Maamouns, Thelewala, Dosa cart are all recommended. Dos Torros is also crazy popular for burritos, but I'm not convinced they're actually worth the less-expensive Chipotle. The sandwiches from Murray's Cheese are spectacular and few people know about them. And fuck Third Rail. Seriously, fuck those wankers. People who know coffee go to Porto Rico.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:00 am

snap wrote:
HandsomeDan08 wrote:
You future NYU'ers, if you like soul food, have also got to check out The Pink Tea Cup, one of my favorites. It's on grove past 7th ave and has great soul food!

Also in the west village, corner bistro has amazing burgers...

Why am I going to HLS again?
Harvard Square has great food: Mr. Bartley's Burgers, Felipe's, Le Creperie, Veggie Planet, Pho Pasteur, Tealuxe, etc. :)
That's good to hear! We'll have to start a thread on that as well.
What is this madness! Harvard Square has awful food. Seriously awful, uninspired, blah food.

yerpyerpyerp

New

Post by yerpyerpyerp » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:33 pm

12th Street Ale House between 1st and 2nd. Happy hour every day 5-8, 2.50 mixed, 3.50 drafts, etc

thisone2014

Bronze

Post by thisone2014 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:37 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Visits”