Duke ASW compared to Michigan and/or Cornell? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Keilz

Gold

Duke ASW compared to Michigan and/or Cornell?

Post by Keilz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:23 am

if anyone who attended the Duke open house in addition to Cornell and/or michigan, and wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts on how Duke compares to either of the two, it would be super helpful!! I went to C and M but not D

I just visited D today but it was during exams and it was POURING so I didn't get a regular feel for the place or how the student body/professors/etc were
Last edited by Keilz on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrynaLaw

New

Re: Duke ASW compared to Michigan and/or Cornell?

Post by TrynaLaw » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:55 am

I went to Duke and Michigan weekend 2. I was impressed with Duke and the small feel, but it felt like more of a commuter school than Michigan. Duke did feel classier and the weather was much nicer than Michigan when I was there. I had equal offers and chose Michigan because I felt like would have more fun in Ann Arbor with similar job opportunities.

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:25 am

Keilz wrote:if anyone who attended the Duke open house in addition to Cornell and/or michigan, and wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts on how Duke compares to either of the two, it would be super helpful!! I went to C and M but not D

I just visited D today but it was during exams and it was POURING so I didn't get a regular feel for the place
Hey Keilz -- I went to Duke's ASW and was impressed by the school. The facilities are beautiful, I really liked the library, and the students almost blew me away with how warm and inviting they were. I wasn't too impressed by Career Services, or at least the gentleman I spoke with, but that just may have been because Duke isn't the right fit for my specific professional goals. The professors I met ranged from average to good. It definitely is a commuter school like the poster above said; virtually everyone lives off campus and a car is a necessity. I live in a very urban area, so I was worried that the town would seem really sleepy -- and it definitely is in comparison, but there was a decent nightlife scene, which they showed us around. But I can't imagine it's any sleepier than Ithaca.. Maybe sleepier than Ann Arbor. The plus side to that though is that you can definitely focus on studying :). Hope this helps

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:09 am

Dr_OIT wrote:
Keilz wrote:if anyone who attended the Duke open house in addition to Cornell and/or michigan, and wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts on how Duke compares to either of the two, it would be super helpful!! I went to C and M but not D

I just visited D today but it was during exams and it was POURING so I didn't get a regular feel for the place
Hey Keilz -- I went to Duke's ASW and was impressed by the school. The facilities are beautiful, I really liked the library, and the students almost blew me away with how warm and inviting they were. I wasn't too impressed by Career Services, or at least the gentleman I spoke with, but that just may have been because Duke isn't the right fit for my specific professional goals. The professors I met ranged from average to good. It definitely is a commuter school like the poster above said; virtually everyone lives off campus and a car is a necessity. I live in a very urban area, so I was worried that the town would seem really sleepy -- and it definitely is in comparison, but there was a decent nightlife scene, which they showed us around. But I can't imagine it's any sleepier than Ithaca.. Maybe sleepier than Ann Arbor. The plus side to that though is that you can definitely focus on studying :). Hope this helps
Thanks! I'm actually surprised your comments regarding the facilities because I felt that the entire building felt like a hospital! And the inside looked very dated from the desks and chairs to the library and commons.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:11 am

TrynaLaw wrote:I went to Duke and Michigan weekend 2. I was impressed with Duke and the small feel, but it felt like more of a commuter school than Michigan. Duke did feel classier and the weather was much nicer than Michigan when I was there. I had equal offers and chose Michigan because I felt like would have more fun in Ann Arbor with similar job opportunities.
Thank you- very interesting!
I too have equal offers. I didn't like A2 but liked the law school, and kind of the opposite for Duke- I liked the campus and Durham but nor the law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:25 am

I thought the Duke Law facilities were great, but that could have been because I went on ASW. I really enjoyed how much natural light the common area (and the classrooms I saw) got.

What was dated to you about the facilities if you don't mind me asking? Was it that the seating was like mid-century design?

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:13 am

I agree with poster above; I really appreciated the natural light. I also appreciated how airy the library was (though no comparison to Michigan of course). I think my frame of reference put Duke's building in a good light because I was constantly comparing it to Columbia. Columbia's building isn't the best, obviously -- and especially the library.

I can see what you mean about the hospital vibe, especially downstairs, but I didn't get that impression at the time :lol:

Let us know what you decide :)

runningroyalty

New

Post by runningroyalty » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:22 pm

Duke hands down! Teachers were brilliant and students were nice and cool. Even 1Ls were going out during ASW.

Law school is gorgeous. Yes, parts of building are a bit modern, but when you walk to B school next door or to gothic buildings (ex. Undergrad library) you are blown away by how pretty it is.

dogger

New

Post by dogger » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Duke student here. Duke is great. The students are close-knit, the professors care, and the law school facility is great. There is a communal effort to make ASW great, too.

dogger

New

Post by dogger » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:20 pm

Also most Duke students do have cars, but parking is not an issue; we get a good parking pass for a nearby garage and also the lot right behind the law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”