Michigan Preview Experience Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
fbc669

New

Michigan Preview Experience

Post by fbc669 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Last edited by fbc669 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueapple

Silver

Re: Michigan Preview Experience

Post by blueapple » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:20 pm

fbc669 wrote:I know that I am totally sounding like an elitist dick and that this post comes off as very rude to the other people there,
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fbc669

New

Post by fbc669 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:26 pm

blueapple wrote:
fbc669 wrote:I know that I am totally sounding like an elitist dick and that this post comes off as very rude to the other people there,
Lmao yeah.. but how else am I supposed to ask for advice on this issue? I think it's a totally legitimate thing to be worried about. I'm pretty anonymous anyways why would I care about sounding smart to strangers?

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:10 pm

No fun - we want to see what you said.

LawMan16

New

Post by LawMan16 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:17 pm

fbc669 wrote:
blueapple wrote:
fbc669 wrote:. I'm pretty anonymous anyways why would I care about sounding smart to strangers?
Yet you deleted your original post anyway? :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:21 pm

Most disappointing thread ever. Feel like I'm trying to listen to a radio edit of I don't fuck with you.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:58 am

can someone PM me what was in the OP. I am interested

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:48 am

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:No fun - we want to see what you said.

fbc669

New

Post by fbc669 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:11 pm

I was just disappointed by my impression of the quality of the admitted (and some current) students. Expected people from very impressive backgrounds because it's a top law school but didn't happen to meet any. Took it down because it was pretty rude of me to say. AA and the school itself were awesome and the people were nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dryoasis

New

Post by dryoasis » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:20 pm

fbc669 wrote:I was just disappointed by my impression of the quality of the admitted (and some current) students. Expected people from very impressive backgrounds because it's a top law school but didn't happen to meet any. Took it down because it was pretty rude of me to say. AA and the school itself were awesome and the people were nice.
Hmmm, I was at preview weekend and had a different experience. Many of the people I spoke to were genuinely interesting & smart people with diverse backgrounds. Sure not all of them have Rhodes credentials, but I put on premium on being around smart AND personable people.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 pm

How exactly does one demonstrate their very impressive background at an ASW, anyway?

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:27 pm

dryoasis wrote:
fbc669 wrote:I was just disappointed by my impression of the quality of the admitted (and some current) students. Expected people from very impressive backgrounds because it's a top law school but didn't happen to meet any. Took it down because it was pretty rude of me to say. AA and the school itself were awesome and the people were nice.
Hmmm, I was at preview weekend and had a different experience. Many of the people I spoke to were genuinely interesting & smart people with diverse backgrounds. Sure not all of them have Rhodes credentials, but I put on premium on being around smart AND personable people.
I will agree that I expected to meet some very impressive people at preview weekend. Fortunately I did.
It is unfortunate you had a different experience, and I am a bit surprised that you managed to go the whole weekend without encountering the impressive folks I met.

Anyway, good luck finding that crowd.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:29 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:How exactly does one demonstrate their very impressive background at an ASW, anyway?
Presumably by mentioning their elite UG/bragging about their competitive fellowship/banking/consulting job (which is largely a function of UG at the high level). Lol at the idea that such people should automatically be considered more impressive than someone with higher scores (which you would not hear about at ASW unless your future unprestigious classmates are particularly socially inept) from less prestigious UGs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:31 pm

curry1 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:How exactly does one demonstrate their very impressive background at an ASW, anyway?
Presumably by mentioning their elite UG/bragging about their competitive fellowship/banking/consulting job (which is largely a function of UG at the high level). Lol at the idea that such people should automatically be considered more impressive than someone with higher scores (which you would not hear about at ASW unless your future unprestigious classmates are particularly socially inept) from less prestigious UGs.
And I'm sort of hoping there are some impressive people out there with the good taste not to namedrop everything they've ever done on first meeting people.

fbc669

New

Post by fbc669 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Uhh undergraduate school, impressive work experience, sounding very intelligent, etc.? I know that this post is making me seem like a bad person, which who knows I probably am, but being surrounded by very smart people is an important factor to me.

I am looking for responses that are either from other admitted students who had similar or different experiences at their preview weekends or from current students saying that that will all change once you get to 1L and kids who went to worse undergrad schools do just as well as ivy league kids. Maybe even advice saying "if you really think you would perform better than them in class then you should go because being top of your class at Michigan is better than being middle or bottom of your class at Columbia"

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:39 pm

fbc669 wrote:
Uhh undergraduate school, impressive work experience, sounding very intelligent, etc.? I know that this post is making me seem like a bad person, which who knows I probably am, but being surrounded by very smart people is an important factor to me.

I am looking for responses that are either from other admitted students who had similar or different experiences at their preview weekends or from current students saying that that will all change once you get to 1L and kids who went to worse undergrad schools do just as well as ivy league kids. Maybe even advice saying "if you really think you would perform better than them in class then you should go because being top of your class at Michigan is better than being middle or bottom of your class at Columbia"
retake and go to YHS.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Oh good lord, of course kids who went to "worse" undergrads do as well or better than the Ivy league kids. The top-10 grads in my law school mostly went to the state flagship and ordinary-average private universities. Not sure any of the Ivy kids at my school actually ended up there.

(And again, I was really wondering why everyone would be blathering about their very impressive backgrounds to begin with. Maybe some of the impressive people just shut up about it.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Curious what your conversations were like at ASW? Did you ask people these questions or were you hoping they would just randomly tell you all their accomplishments? Again, I did not struggle to find the other students impressive/inspiring/interesting

Blackfish

New

Post by Blackfish » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:59 pm

Most people in law school are not that interesting or accomplished, even at the top schools (maybe except HYS). Otherwise they wouldn't be in law school.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:03 pm

Wow, part of why I loved Michigan was because the people seemed so much more chill than those at other schools. At other ASWs I felt like I was getting grilled on my resume and other acceptances and it was super awkward/off-putting.

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:11 pm

I think a prevalent thing about law school admissions is that it does not factor your UG institution that much. I only visited Berkeley and Michigan, and I think I met only like two ivy grads at Berkeley and one at Michigan.

there isn't much time before UG and law school to accomplish many things, and I'm sure a lot of people who knew that law school was their plan (like me) looked for paralegal jobs to get a sense for the industry. If you are successful with a bachelors degree, there isn't much need to go through law school

I do think that the type of people I met at Berkeley were different than the people I met at Michigan, but they are different schools with generally similar outcomes because their graduates are just as capable.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fbc669

New

Post by fbc669 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:35 pm

LawTweet wrote:
Wow, part of why I loved Michigan was because the people seemed so much more chill than those at other schools. At other ASWs I felt like I was getting grilled on my resume and other acceptances and it was super awkward/off-putting.
That killed my vibe at Michigan. Everyone kept asking for a list of places I was considering.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:10 pm

fbc669 wrote:
LawTweet wrote:
That killed my vibe at Michigan. Everyone kept asking for a list of places I was considering.
Like, wtf else are they supposed to talk to you about? You seem arrogant and off-putting, like you might not have a lot in common with socially well-adjusted people, so what other obvious things are there to discuss? Plus people like to revisit "choosing" decisions... hence all of the input in that forum section here.

Anyway, there are tons of very smart people at Michigan. I'm sure (based on friends at other schools, large firm experience with other T14 kids, etc.) it's comprised of roughly the same percentage of them as peer T14 schools. It would be patently absurd to think this would be otherwise. The problem is that you're a snob. I'd say, anecdotally, that Ivy undergrad correlated negatively with being on law review here, so it's unclear why this matters anyway (i.e., your screen for "smart" is actually a screen for "wealthy parents" ... granted, these two are connected, but they're definitely not the same thing).

Lukky

New

Post by Lukky » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:49 pm

I think you might've had that impression because Michigan seems to be more chill? I was there and personally enjoyed how laid back everyone seemed to be. You can look at the median stats for Michigan....clearly people aren't less intelligent there than other peer schools. I think it was pretty clear that the school emphasizes being less competitive and comparative, so I don't think people were trying to impress as much as they were trying to have fun.

bestwishes

New

Post by bestwishes » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:04 pm

Keilz wrote: I do think that the type of people I met at Berkeley were different than the people I met at Michigan, but they are different schools with generally similar outcomes because their graduates are just as capable.
If you have time, can you expand on this thought, Keilz? I went to Berkeley's ASW, but couldn't attend the Michigan's. How do you think the people were different between the two?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”