Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:21 am

Lol at this getting necro'd.

I guess since it's getting to be asw season again it's worth reiterating:

Don't bring your parents to a law school asw

chargers21

Gold

Re: Parents at admitted students days

Post by chargers21 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:20 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Lol at this getting necro'd.

I love a good necro.

My parents went to the city of one of my ASWs with me, but did not attend any events with me and were there purely on their own vacation and to act as a bit of a taxi for me. I think this is a fine approach, but yeah, do not take them to the actual event. Don't.

P.S. Dr. Degrees, my parents' presence in the city was not offputting during ASW, was it?? :mrgreen:

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:21 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:Lol at this getting necro'd.

I love a good necro.

My parents went to the city of one of my ASWs with me, but did not attend any events with me and were there purely on their own vacation and to act as a bit of a taxi for me. I think this is a fine approach, but yeah, do not take them to the actual event. Don't.

P.S. Dr. Degrees, my parents' presence in the city was not offputting during ASW, was it?? :mrgreen:
Haha, nah take them to the city for sure. My parents were also interested in the area and came up at different time to see me/the campus, but I doubt they would have gotten benefits out of any of the events

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Went to an ASW at good State flagship t1. Some mom brought by a girl literally asked and took notes about how the school offers help for students wanting to do SCOTUS clerkships. I was cringing and I think the assoc dean answering the question was also.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:01 pm

waldorf wrote:
amta wrote:don't take your parents to a professional school's admitted students day. like wtf.
Yeah, +1. It's so absurd lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:40 am

I'm taking mine to the schools I'm seriously considering. Won't bring them to most of the events but they would like to see the school and city I'll be attending for 3 years. They won't be hovering or answering questions, and I already visited the schools on my own. I don't really see much issue with bringing your parents as long as they won't be too involved.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:59 pm

Team #DoWhatMakesYouHappy.

Sounds like some people, like Slippin' Jimmy, have good reason to want to include parents. That's his business.

I personally won't be bringing mine because I'm 25 and tbh don't really care what they think about different schools as they won't be paying for them or going to class!

HowardHamlin

New

Post by HowardHamlin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:12 pm

What is the consensus on grandparents at ASWs? I told my meemaw that a lot of them have open bar receptions and now she really wants to come to New Haven with me.
Last edited by HowardHamlin on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:16 pm

Serious question: I don't want to bring my mom, but she's super excited for me and really wants to go to a few. She's never been pushy (never even went to any parent weekends in undergrad lol) and I've worked full time and lived on my own for a bit so it's just weird for me to bring her, but she's been pleading with me to go. I feel awkward because my mother is never excited about anything and I feel bad saying no or telling her she needs to do her own thing for the most part, so does anyone have any suggestions on how to let her down gently? She's generally neutral about everything so I don't even know how to react to these ~emotions~ I'm seeing from her :shock: We are not a particularly emotional or affectionate or expressive family so I am very confused.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Bring your parents to the city and show them around campus and the school on your own time while there, but please don't take them to any events. The school will say that it's okay, but really your classmates will notice that you are 1 of 5 people there with parents. If you are fine looking more odd than you need to, go for it I guess? But really, anything your parents need to see can be seen outside of the allotted event schedule

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:22 pm

38981928 wrote:Serious question: I don't want to bring my mom, but she's super excited for me and really wants to go to a few. She's never been pushy (never even went to any parent weekends in undergrad lol) and I've worked full time and lived on my own for a bit so it's just weird for me to bring her, but she's been pleading with me to go. I feel awkward because my mother is never excited about anything and I feel bad saying no or telling her she needs to do her own thing for the most part, so does anyone have any suggestions on how to let her down gently? She's generally neutral about everything so I don't even know how to react to these ~emotions~ I'm seeing from her :shock: We are not a particularly emotional or affectionate or expressive family so I am very confused.
Just tell her that they're events for students and that there won't be parents there. Also that you'll have free time to explore the campus with her. I'm sure she'll understand.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:22 pm

38981928 wrote:Serious question: I don't want to bring my mom, but she's super excited for me and really wants to go to a few. She's never been pushy (never even went to any parent weekends in undergrad lol) and I've worked full time and lived on my own for a bit so it's just weird for me to bring her, but she's been pleading with me to go. I feel awkward because my mother is never excited about anything and I feel bad saying no or telling her she needs to do her own thing for the most part, so does anyone have any suggestions on how to let her down gently? She's generally neutral about everything so I don't even know how to react to these ~emotions~ I'm seeing from her :shock: We are not a particularly emotional or affectionate or expressive family so I am very confused.
just tell her that ASW/ASD is for students to get to know others and the school, etc. tell her you can show her around the school/area another time.

e: mediocre beat me to it! haha

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:02 pm

I met a good chunk of my friends at ASW. I ended up rooming with three of them. Each of them ended up introducing each of us to new people and our group of 12-15 ended up pretty much all hanging out together for everything throughout our 3 years. I've even been to three of my group's weddings. My school was pretty cliquey and cliques formed pretty quickly. Most of my friends from my JD group are connected to the initial people I befriended. I noticed the same thing for other cliques.

I'm not saying you can't make friends otherwise (I did make friends outside of my clique) but ASW is definitely is a good opportunity to make friends, especially if you're awkward. Personally for me, having my parents there would have hindered the process since I'd be busy showing them around.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:20 pm

lol, my parents were vacationing abroad during my LS's graduation.

that said, i'd go to my hypothetical kid's ASD if there was an open bar, and i was in the same city, and i didn't have anything else going on.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:28 am

After attending my first ASD (without parents) I’ve changed my position: DO NOT BRING YOUR PARENTS!!

Deltagirl1913

New

Post by Deltagirl1913 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm

I am an older nontraditional candidate and have attended a handful of open houses at Tier 3 schools. I have been very surprised by the number of parents accompanying their prospective student. Quite frankly the parents have been the most engaged and asked insightful questions during the Q&A periods. I think it is looked upon favorably by the admissions staff as law school can be difficult for a multitude of reasons and require familial emotional and financial support. I would not hesitate to bring my parents, spouse or significant other to open house/admitted student days. As we say in the Army "it is a team sport."

Lexigator

New

Post by Lexigator » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Are they there because you want them there, or because they are a helicopter parent who is going to grill the staff and you haven’t left the nest yet? If it’s the latter, it might be time to fly solo. Looking for roommates and to socialize? Might be easier without them. I think it varies.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:04 am

Deltagirl1913 wrote:I am an older nontraditional candidate and have attended a handful of open houses at Tier 3 schools. I have been very surprised by the number of parents accompanying their prospective student. Quite frankly the parents have been the most engaged and asked insightful questions during the Q&A periods. I think it is looked upon favorably by the admissions staff as law school can be difficult for a multitude of reasons and require familial emotional and financial support. I would not hesitate to bring my parents, spouse or significant other to open house/admitted student days. As we say in the Army "it is a team sport."
I cannot understand how anyone would look favorably on the parents being more involved/insightful than the applicants they’re associated with. The parents won’t be attending. Adcomms are probably very nice to parents because they know if the parents show up they have a lot of influence over the applicant, but that’s different.

Also spouse/partner is a different kind of thing and totally fine.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:57 am

I can understand a parent's curiosity (especially with respect to an unfamiliar, third tier law school) as it is a significant financial investment often requiring parental contributions. But, even if the parent is also an attorney, I agree that parental presence at an admitted students day is unusual and unwarranted.

Seems as though law schools would have enough experience with this in order to have some alternate activity for the parents--such as a parents tour or a significant others/parents reception area.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:36 pm

I would no offer any student who brought their patent to ASW.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:37 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I can understand a parent's curiosity (especially with respect to an unfamiliar, third tier law school) as it is a significant financial investment often requiring parental contributions. But, even if the parent is also an attorney, I agree that parental presence at an admitted students day is unusual and unwarranted.

Seems as though law schools would have enough experience with this in order to have some alternate activity for the parents--such as a parents tour or a significant others/parents reception area.
Brother Wolf have you heard the good news?

If you are interested in Law and want to help School these kids so they can Dot their i's and cross their tee's, maybe get a Life and head somewhere better suited to that purpose

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”