Parents at admitted students days Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
waldorf

Gold

Re: Parents at admitted students days

Post by waldorf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:58 pm

amta wrote:don't take your parents to a professional school's admitted students day. like wtf.
Yeah, +1. It's so absurd lol

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
curry1 wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:I'll add to the chorus of no's.

It's not a terrible thing and I definitely saw some parents at the asw's, but that said I don't think it's super worth it to drag them down there when it's really really not their decision to make.

Also I think you'll lose some good opportunity to feel out the student body if you're with your parents the whole time
Depends on the circumstances; a good chunk of people at T14s parents are paying full freight or a large portion of their costs.
Even then I would not advise letting them make the decision for you. A bank doesn't get to decide what car you buy just the amount of money you have to work with.

This is an investment in your future and will effect the entire rest of your life, it is worth far more than the cost for most posters on here.

If anyone wanted to have a say in where I went in exchange for funds I'd go straight to the loan office and do it myself[/quote]

This is objectively dumb. Someone's going to hand you 300k and all they want is to *feel like they're involved in your selection process (i.e. attend an ASW) with you. Obviously, if one's parents were pushing one to attend a bad school over a T13 or what have you, your notion of taking out loans instead would make sense. But that would be a rare case. One's parents might push staying close to home (say NU) over Duke or something. Or not really push one way or the other, but just want to attend ASW. If anything, I find it laughable how vitriolic people are about acting like they are independent, given how many people (in elite environments like a T13) have had extensive parental support throughout their lives (including after UG and through law school).

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:14 am

Cornell was really inviting to parents and had a lot of resources for them during the ASD.

One mom was sitting in the externship presentation and asked about the tax implications of international externships- would students would have to report their income that they earned abroad. :? Everyone was like ???

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:45 am

curry1 wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
curry1 wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:I'll add to the chorus of no's.

It's not a terrible thing and I definitely saw some parents at the asw's, but that said I don't think it's super worth it to drag them down there when it's really really not their decision to make.

Also I think you'll lose some good opportunity to feel out the student body if you're with your parents the whole time
Depends on the circumstances; a good chunk of people at T14s parents are paying full freight or a large portion of their costs.
Even then I would not advise letting them make the decision for you. A bank doesn't get to decide what car you buy just the amount of money you have to work with.

This is an investment in your future and will effect the entire rest of your life, it is worth far more than the cost for most posters on here.

If anyone wanted to have a say in where I went in exchange for funds I'd go straight to the loan office and do it myself[/quote]

This is objectively dumb. Someone's going to hand you 300k and all they want is to *feel like they're involved in your selection process (i.e. attend an ASW) with you. Obviously, if one's parents were pushing one to attend a bad school over a T13 or what have you, your notion of taking out loans instead would make sense. But that would be a rare case. One's parents might push staying close to home (say NU) over Duke or something. Or not really push one way or the other, but just want to attend ASW. If anything, I find it laughable how vitriolic people are about acting like they are independent, given how many people (in elite environments like a T13) have had extensive parental support throughout their lives (including after UG and through law school).
I agree with this. Take your parents if you want. If they have loved and supported you and you want to share the visit with them, go ahead. I don't understand people sometimes. My Mom had less than no interest in going but I understand some parents want to attend.

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:14 am

I've been to a few ASD events and at every one people had their parents with them. Don't think it's really a big deal, especially if they're the ones financing your education.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:05 pm

amta wrote:don't take your parents to a professional school's admitted students day. like wtf.
Most folk I know didn't take parents to visit undergraduate colleges. Can't imagine why someone would take them to a law school admitted students day. As others suggest, let them tour the school independently if they really want to come.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:07 pm

People who take their parents to ASD are lemons until proven otherwise

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:31 pm

If they are paying and want to go, well ya. But it's embarrassing.

undecided2020

New

Post by undecided2020 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Wow some people are just too cool for school...

Seriously, unless you are totally independent of your parents, then I can't see why its strange to involve them in this process. Did someone say no one brings parents to admitted students day at undergrad? Where was that? On the east coast, every single visit I went on from Ivys on down had parents at them, sometimes grandparents, also siblings. So for law school I thought it was perfectly fine for parents to be there. In fact I have heard some parents ask excellent questions actually, especially about housing etc, that the visiting students didn't think of. I appreciated ASWs that had an understanding that you would be bringing parents.

What I did was ask ahead of time about bringing "guests" and what they could and could not do. Columbia and Duke were very clear about what events you could bring guests to which implied they were ok with it. Not many parents at Columbia and mine only came on the campus tour, looked at housing and the reception at the end. Michigan was the worst, very unclear about it and made me feel weird for asking. Penn encouraged parents at everything except the mock class.
Last edited by undecided2020 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:28 pm

I totally judged people who had parents with them at ASWs.

There's no reason you should care what I think about it, of course, but there are probably going to be people like me out there.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Jesus Christ people, this is a professional school. If you aren't independent enough to survive ASW without mommy and daddy, you aren't independent enough to go to law school.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:42 pm

Nebby wrote:People who take their parents to ASD are lemons until proven otherwise

undecided2020

New

Post by undecided2020 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Not gonna argue with people, I just think this is something that is different for everyone.

Its not a matter of "surviving" ASW without parents its more being interested in what they think. I am not ashamed to be close with my parents so I had no issue bringing a parent along. And if that is how you are too, then go right ahead. And if you want to judge, go right ahead too. Luckily I'm very confident in myself and my abilities so not really caring about someone thinking its strange I have a parent with me. :wink:

Its all good 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:46 pm

undecided2020 wrote:Not gonna argue with people, I just think this is something that is different for everyone.

Its not a matter of "surviving" ASW without parents its more being interested in what they think. I am not ashamed to be close with my parents so I had no issue bringing a parent along. And if that is how you are too, then go right ahead. And if you want to judge, go right ahead too. Luckily I'm very confident in myself and my abilities so not really caring about someone thinking its strange I have a parent with me. :wink:

Its all good 8)
outted as lemon

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:01 pm

I mean, I think I'm closer to my parents than most (probably too close, haha). But parents bring like zero value to an ASD visit. But I feel like that's mostly because ASD don't have much value besides giving you a feel for a school and its community; everything else like the panels and stuff is all fluff.

If people want to bring their parents though, that's fine. Different strokes. Just don't bring them to the receptions/cocktail hours, make sure they're not being obnoxious, etc.

Like this.
undecided2020 wrote:In fact I have heard some parents ask excellent questions actually, especially about housing etc, that the visiting students didn't think of.
Future 0Ls, please don't let your parents do this. I saw parents at every ASW I attended except Vandy, and for the most part they politely followed the "seen and not heard" principle. But there was the occasional parent who wasted everyone's time by asking a question, and in every case it was painful. Don't be that kid/have that parent. Show some respect for your future peers.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:54 am

I think maybe bringing parents to the area during ASW but not bringing parents to ASW events could be a way to go.

I'm less than a year out of college, the youngest, the only girl, and the first in ANY of my family to go to law school so my parents want to see where I'll be and everything. I think part of it is also because they're not at all familiar with how law school works and realized how clueless they were when I was going through the application process and kept getting frustrated with questions they asked that I had already explained and at least being familiar with where I'll be might ease their not knowing.

I didn't bring them to ASW but I visited the campus once before then and my mom came with me. She came on the campus tour but I sat in a class on my own and spoke to fin aid on my own. I also preferred that she had seen the campus before I had to decide because I liked being able to bounce my thoughts/feelings off of her. Now I've decided and my dad STILL hasn't seen the campus or anything so when I head there next month, they're going to come with (also helps to be able to rotate drivers since it's QUITE a drive), check out the campus, check out the area, check out where my apartment is (because, like I said, youngest and ONLY girl so they HAVE to make sure I'm not in a questionable part of town :roll:) then fly back home.

All that being said: Even though I'm close with my parents/totally get their urge to see where I'm going to be and everything, I wouldn't have wanted them with me at ASW events. Beyond the fact that people might judge you, I think it can potentially make it more difficult for you to get the kind of feel for a campus that you need to get. Might limit how much you're able to socialize with people, what events you go to, etc. etc.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:11 am

amta wrote:
undecided2020 wrote:Not gonna argue with people, I just think this is something that is different for everyone.

Its all good 8)
outted as lemon
I presume parents are bankrolling if they're at ASD further proving the lemon theory

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:36 pm

I think the most reasonable response is if your parents want to come, let them explore on their own time and not during accepted student events. There's no real point in bringing your parents to ASW events. The youngest students are like 22, your parents should trust you to do things on your own by that point.

I also feel for those who have the overly involved parents, though. That has to get really old.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:13 pm

if nebby and i agree on an issue, it is likely infallible doctrine.

Lexigator

New

Post by Lexigator » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:05 pm

I took my mom when I went to Notre Dame because she always wanted to see the campus. I'm a 28 year old man, so I'm pretty past the point of her having an influence on my decision. Maybe people judged, maybe not. I don't really care. I think of you want to take your parents, do so. If you're afraid of what others may think and it's going to distract you from why you're there, don't.

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:10 am

As a parent, there's no fucking way I'm going to a school visit with my kids.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:30 pm

If your parents are going to be paying for your law school (like me) the I'd say they deserve to check out the campus with you.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:50 pm

mwells56 wrote:If your parents are going to be paying for your law school (like me) the I'd say they deserve to check out the campus with you.
no

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm surprised at how recurrent this topic is.

Actually no I'm not.

doggozeg

New

Post by doggozeg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:11 am

You can if you want, but it is uncommon I from my experience. It's better to go alone and meet people. It's fun, and parents can visit later. If parents really want to go, there is no issue with it, though. It just might be awkward at times.
Last edited by doggozeg on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”