Advice for Visit while on WL Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
ausimpv

New

Advice for Visit while on WL

Post by ausimpv » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:44 pm

Last edited by ausimpv on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

dihlin487

New

Re: Advice for Visit while on WL

Post by dihlin487 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:27 am

ausimpv wrote:I will be visiting a school whose waitlist I am on, and I have a meeting with an admissions counselor as well. I am wondering what should I prepare to discuss while there? This is my top school and I plan on submitting a LOCI after the visit with more information I've gained from the visit to incorporate into it, but as far as the actual meeting goes, I guess I am overthinking it!

There is a clinic and journal I am particular interested in, as well as several student organizations. Should I mention these, or just go with the flow of the conversation? I've done a lot of research on this school and their programs as well, so what questions should I have for the counselor to ensure dialect? Any help is appreciated! Not sure if this meeting will help me get off the WL or not, but here's to hope! :lol:
If W&L is your first choice, then there is no reason why you shouldn't make that sufficiently clear during your visit! If your personality clicks with that particular admissions staff member, then huge plus. Important to make note why you want to go to W&L. The counselor 'should' be leading with questions to really guide the conversation anywho. Just relax and don't overthink it! Doing research is great, but don't rehearse. You'll seem more genuine in doing so.

in-b4-washingtonandlee-gets-flamed-as-a-bad-school-and-someone-tells-you-to-reconsider-lawschool

pleadthafif

Gold

Post by pleadthafif » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:54 pm

dihlin487 wrote:
ausimpv wrote:I will be visiting a school whose waitlist I am on, and I have a meeting with an admissions counselor as well. I am wondering what should I prepare to discuss while there? This is my top school and I plan on submitting a LOCI after the visit with more information I've gained from the visit to incorporate into it, but as far as the actual meeting goes, I guess I am overthinking it!

There is a clinic and journal I am particular interested in, as well as several student organizations. Should I mention these, or just go with the flow of the conversation? I've done a lot of research on this school and their programs as well, so what questions should I have for the counselor to ensure dialect? Any help is appreciated! Not sure if this meeting will help me get off the WL or not, but here's to hope! :lol:
If W&L is your first choice, then there is no reason why you shouldn't make that sufficiently clear during your visit! If your personality clicks with that particular admissions staff member, then huge plus. Important to make note why you want to go to W&L. The counselor 'should' be leading with questions to really guide the conversation anywho. Just relax and don't overthink it! Doing research is great, but don't rehearse. You'll seem more genuine in doing so.

in-b4-washingtonandlee-gets-flamed-as-a-bad-school-and-someone-tells-you-to-reconsider-lawschool
Are you serious Clark?

dihlin487

New

Post by dihlin487 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:40 pm

pleadthafif wrote:
dihlin487 wrote:

Are you serious Clark?
Clark?

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:56 am

As the poster above said, if the school is your first choice you should make that very clear. And not just "you're ranked high," but anything you can speak to about the school specifically (the clinic, student organizations, the area, the classes, etc.) to show that you've done your research and that you're serious. You want to convey that you've really though through the decision to go to law school, and why this school is the right one for you. That way they know that if they admit you, you will attend and be a good student.

Other than that, just be normal! As long as you can hold a normal friendly conversation and not come across as weird/awkward/obsessed you should be fine.

Good luck!

Lexaholik

Bronze

Post by Lexaholik » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:59 am

I don't think you're overthinking it. I used to interview candidates (for a school that interviews everyone) and there is a wide range of quality among interviewees. Interviews matter, especially if you're a borderline candidate.

At a minimum I would be prepared to discuss the following topics coherently and completely. That means knowing exactly what you're gonna say and how you're gonna say it. It will feel dumb but practice saying it out loud. The first few times you'll sound terrible but by the time the interview comes you will be good to go.

1. I want to go to law school because ___
2. I want to attend this school because ___
3. I would attend if offered a spot (but only say this if true)
4. My future career goals are ___

You should go with the flow of the conversation (don't be a robot and start ticking off these topics). However, if they ask you any of these questions you will be 100% prepared to respond. And if you're a skilled interviewer you can turn normal convo topics into one of your talking points. For example:
Q: I see you worked at Teach For America, how did you choose that job?

A: I've always been the type of person who enjoys helping people and serving the community. TFA was an incredibly rewarding experience because A, B, C. That's also partly why I'm so interested in School X. I'm particularly interested in School X's reknowned legal aid clinic. (Explain details of why the clinic interests you) Working with underserved populations is a passion of mine, and what I want to do after graduation.
Notice how you turned their topic into your own talking points.

Make sure they walk away from the interview saying "this person is really prepared, really knows our school, and knows exactly why he/she wants to attend."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”