Visting and Requesting Interview While Pending Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
LurkSoHard

Gold

Visting and Requesting Interview While Pending

Post by LurkSoHard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:03 pm

I am still UR at a few law schools and have not received any correspondence from colleges that normally send interview requests and Why X? for OOS. The ones I'm mainly interested in are UVA, UT-A, and Vandy. Would visiting these colleges and requesting an interview with someone from admissions help speed up the process or eliminate the need for later questions like Why X or the normal interview request? Thanks for the help and advice!

Troianii

Silver

Re: Visting and Requesting Interview While Pending

Post by Troianii » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:30 pm

LurkSoHard wrote:I am still UR at a few law schools and have not received any correspondence from colleges that normally send interview requests and Why X? for OOS. The ones I'm mainly interested in are UVA, UT-A, and Vandy. Would visiting these colleges and requesting an interview with someone from admissions help speed up the process or eliminate the need for later questions like Why X or the normal interview request? Thanks for the help and advice!
I'm interested in this as well.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:10 am

Visiting would have little or no effect, especially at this point in the cycle.

Don't request an interview because that's not how that works and you'll come off as incredibly entitled.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:49 am

benwyatt wrote:Visiting would have little or no effect, especially at this point in the cycle.
+1. So long as you communicate in advance. This is a busy time of year for adcomms.
benwyatt wrote:Don't request an interview because that's not how that works and you'll come off as incredibly entitled.
+1000000. Let them decide if they want to talk to you more.

GoogleWasMyIdea

Bronze

Post by GoogleWasMyIdea » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:08 am

Last edited by GoogleWasMyIdea on Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:23 am

GoogleWasMyIdea wrote:ETA: I agree that I wouldn't request an "interview." Maybe a meeting/brief chat. Word choice matters here.
You can ask to meet with one to discuss, but never ask for an interview.

Visiting helps. It won't help you get in anywhere you didn't, but it shields against YP and shows you're interested.

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:54 pm

KMart wrote:
GoogleWasMyIdea wrote:ETA: I agree that I wouldn't request an "interview." Maybe a meeting/brief chat. Word choice matters here.
Visiting helps. It won't help you get in anywhere you didn't, but it shields against YP and shows you're interested.
This is what I've heard before, and as far as I knew before this a visit would only help if you have numbers above the school's medians and were waitlisted. So it only helps in very specific circumstances, right? I mean, I assume that it wouldn't help someone who was waitlisted at a reach school.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Troianii wrote:I assume that it wouldn't help someone who was waitlisted at a reach school.
Why not? They want to pull people they know will attend. Visiting, if you can, shows you're probably going to go if you get in.

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:43 pm

KMart wrote:
Troianii wrote:I assume that it wouldn't help someone who was waitlisted at a reach school.
Why not? They want to pull people they know will attend. Visiting, if you can, shows you're probably going to go if you get in.
huh. Maybe I just misperceived things, but I kind of thought that the assumption of most law schools is that if you're below both their medians and they admit you that you'd attend. But I guess that was a little presumptuous.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:48 pm

Troianii wrote:
KMart wrote:
huh. Maybe I just misperceived things, but I kind of thought that the assumption of most law schools is that if you're below both their medians and they admit you that you'd attend. But I guess that was a little presumptuous.
Idk. Not everyone wants to pay sticker for every law school. LOCIs help shield against YP too. Don't take what I say as gospel, I'm just trying to give my 2 cents.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”