Post Visit Etiquette Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
MichiganMan87

New

Post Visit Etiquette

Post by MichiganMan87 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:42 pm

What are your thoughts on saying thank you to those who you spoke with during a law school visit? An email to the dean of admissions? Email to all of those that you met? Handwritten card to the any of the above?

R. Jeeves

Gold

Re: Post Visit Etiquette

Post by R. Jeeves » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:53 pm

MichiganMan87 wrote:What are your thoughts on saying thank you to those who you spoke with during a law school visit? An email to the dean of admissions? Email to all of those that you met? Handwritten card to the any of the above?
I don't think any of this is necessary or even helpful. Don't worry about this stuff.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:09 pm

MichiganMan87 wrote:What are your thoughts on saying thank you to those who you spoke with during a law school visit? An email to the dean of admissions? Email to all of those that you met? Handwritten card to the any of the above?
Unless there are unusual circumstances (i.e.: they helped you with a thorny issue or something major like that), etiquette does not dictate that a follow-up message is necessary. In other cases, if tastefully done, I don't think it would be harmful but certainly not expected or required.

teamlam

New

Post by teamlam » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Not too sure what the point of this would be?

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:53 pm

If I had a scheduled in-person interview, I would consider sending a hand-written thank you note (though it may not be totally necessary).

But other than an in-person interview, I think it'd be a bit overkill barring any extreme circumstances.

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:38 pm

it's a good thing to do and I would recommend it. Writing a thank you note puts your name in someone's head again - a handwritten thank you note is just that much more meaningful because no one really does it anymore. Just think about the reverse side - when you first started getting acceptance letters which made you feel best - the generic letters, or the phone call or handwritten notes of congratulations?

this delves more into marketing techniques. I took a class in marketing and some study we looked at showed that handwritten thank you letters are very effective, and that people who wrote them were more likely to be hired (in this case, it was thank you notes following job interviews). This isn't the same thing, but the same generalities apply - people like receiving handwritten letters, and it stands out, despite how little effort it actually takes. If nothing else, it means that they think about your name a little more.

But, of course, don't expect anything from it. It's really just the nice thing to do. No one expects it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”