Campus visit while on waitlist Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
duras92

New

Campus visit while on waitlist

Post by duras92 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:44 pm

resolved
Last edited by duras92 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hairbear7

Silver

Re: Campus visit while on waitlist

Post by hairbear7 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:13 pm

duras9992 wrote:
1. How can I get a meeting with the dean or someone else from the admissions committee? I have heard from many people that this is a good way to get an advocate for you on the adcomm who will look upon your application favorably when re-reviews come around for the waitlist. How can I make the most of such a meeting?
When you email before hand to inquire/set up the visit, you can try asking to speak to someone about your application. In my limited experience, the admissions office is wayyy too busy at this time of the year to sit down and speak to applicants in-person, but it is worth a shot to ask. I think if they have it on file that you toured/sat in on a class then that will at least show them you are interested and may help.
duras9992 wrote: 2. How can I effectively address the weaknesses in my application (particularly the LSAT in this case) in order to assure that it will not be a problem during law school. I have already registered for the June LSAT in order to boost my score to gain admission from the waitlist this cycle or to reapply next cycle.
Did you write an LSAT addendum or talk about it at all during your LOCI? Don't think it's really going to matter either way, but retaking is definitely a great choice.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:21 pm

1. An email asking is the way to do it. I did this for one school that WL me and they were happy to set up an appointment with me. If they do not have time, I read somewhere in Spivey's thread that even just showing up and asking may help. Either way, they will take note you visited and visiting is helpful because it shows a lot of interest. They like that interest because they want to accept people who they know will attend.

2. I'm not entirely sure. I was in the same boat and didn't address it in a meeting or LOCI. However, retaking for a higher score is a great decision. Best of luck.

duras92

New

Post by duras92 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:34 pm

resolved
Last edited by duras92 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:49 pm

I just asked questions regarding the process and what happens. Also I know of someone who asked, while I did not I think I should have, about the ways the school will help you adjust to a late acceptance offer. That's probably good information to know. My meeting was pretty quick, but I do not regret it because it really shows interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:04 pm

KMart wrote:I just asked questions regarding the process and what happens. Also I know of someone who asked, while I did not I think I should have, about the ways the school will help you adjust to a late acceptance offer. That's probably good information to know. My meeting was pretty quick, but I do not regret it because it really shows interest.
thanks! I'll be visiting some schools that waitlisted me next week and this was great info.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:25 pm

did you guys send the email inquiring about a meeting to the general admissions email or directly to the Dean of Admissions?

duras92

New

Post by duras92 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:41 pm

resolved
Last edited by duras92 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:01 pm

OP: Are you considering any Canadian law schools ? I ask because your past posts indicated that you're living in Canada & Canadian law schools give less weight to LSAT scores.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:06 pm

duras9992 wrote:Hey everyone. I have been waitlisted at a few schools this cycle (because of low LSAT score I assume) and will be planning campus visits within the next few weeks. I would like to know if anyone has any experience in how to make the most of a campus visit in order to gain admission from the waitlist. So far I will be going to visit University of Washington and Boston College, both of which have waitlisted me. Specifically, I would like to know:

1. How can I get a meeting with the dean or someone else from the admissions committee? I have heard from many people that this is a good way to get an advocate for you on the adcomm who will look upon your application favorably when re-reviews come around for the waitlist. How can I make the most of such a meeting?

2. How can I effectively address the weaknesses in my application (particularly the LSAT in this case) in order to assure that it will not be a problem during law school. I have already registered for the June LSAT in order to boost my score to gain admission from the waitlist this cycle or to reapply next cycle.

Thanks!

PS. I have already sent LOCIs to all waitlisted schools.
I would save your money and not do this. Plus even if you get in it's gonna be with like no scholarship and such a situation would be simply unjustifiable for the vast majority of people. Worry about the retake.

telbo340

New

Post by telbo340 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:10 am

I agree with this advice, if you get pulled off the WL you probably won't get any $ and a retake would definitely help for next cycle.
That being said...I just drove 8 hours for a 30 minute meeting with the dean of admissions at a top10 I was WLed at. For whatever reason, I just really wanted to see what I could do and what might happen if I put full effort into it. I don't like no's.

I would recommend a few things:
1. Get another LOR or two. Make sure they're great references with something new to offer, after all you are trying to make your application stronger not just lengthier. If you can't think of anyone worthwhile, skip it.
2. Write a "why x" essay if you haven't already. Call the admissions department first and figure out exactly how they want to receive supplemental info. I found out that they wanted me to send to a specific person, including my LSAC # in the headers, and that they prefered PDF to DOC attachments. I'm sure preferences vary by school.
3. LOCIs are great, but anyone can write one in 2 minutes so make it count. Do your research and find something you're really passionate about.
4. Call or email the person you want to meet with directly, not through generic admissions office email address. Show some dedication and let them see that you know what you want and prove you've got the drive to pull yourself off that list.

I will say, even if I get in at my WL, I probably won't get any money either. But my wife is in at the B school there so I wasn't ready to call it quits yet. After my meeting, the dean of admissions replied to my follow up email with his personal number, said to call the morning after first deposits are due. so hey you don't know if you don't try.

Good luck!

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:18 am

What exactly are you supposed to discuss/ask once you get a meeting with someone from the admissions office?

telbo340

New

Post by telbo340 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:22 am

It's a good chance to show how much you want to attend that school in particular - you're showing initiative by taking the time to get out there, you can form a more personal connection with the admissions team, and if you want to talk about any personal connection you might feel with the school it's a good idea to actually set foot on the campus. As far as what to talk about? It's a chance for you to say what you maybe didn't say in your application - a "final pitch" if you want to think of it that way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:47 pm

telbo340 wrote:I agree with this advice, if you get pulled off the WL you probably won't get any $ and a retake would definitely help for next cycle.
That being said...I just drove 8 hours for a 30 minute meeting with the dean of admissions at a top10 I was WLed at. For whatever reason, I just really wanted to see what I could do and what might happen if I put full effort into it. I don't like no's.

I would recommend a few things:
1. Get another LOR or two. Make sure they're great references with something new to offer, after all you are trying to make your application stronger not just lengthier. If you can't think of anyone worthwhile, skip it.
2. Write a "why x" essay if you haven't already. Call the admissions department first and figure out exactly how they want to receive supplemental info. I found out that they wanted me to send to a specific person, including my LSAC # in the headers, and that they prefered PDF to DOC attachments. I'm sure preferences vary by school.
3. LOCIs are great, but anyone can write one in 2 minutes so make it count. Do your research and find something you're really passionate about.
4. Call or email the person you want to meet with directly, not through generic admissions office email address. Show some dedication and let them see that you know what you want and prove you've got the drive to pull yourself off that list.

I will say, even if I get in at my WL, I probably won't get any money either. But my wife is in at the B school there so I wasn't ready to call it quits yet. After my meeting, the dean of admissions replied to my follow up email with his personal number, said to call the morning after first deposits are due. so hey you don't know if you don't try.

Good luck!
I attached my LOCI to my "I'd like to remain on the waitlist" email. Since then I've garnered 2 new scientific publications and 1 more letter of rec. How do you think I should submit this? All at once? An email with the LOR attached and a mention of the new publications? Also - when?

telbo340

New

Post by telbo340 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Let me say this first - there is no "perfect" way to get off a wait list. It is a tough, unpredictable, process with varying success. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that you want them to see you as one of the few candidates on that typically long list who is worth brining in.

That being said, I'd recommend submitting everything you mentioned all at once. Put yourself in the shoes of an admissions director. It's much easier to assess someone's credentials if they are compiled in a convenient way. Reach out to someone on the admissions team who has some pull. Set up a phone chat with them. Go visit them. Whatever you feel comfortable doing, show them you care for a reason beyond the school's ranking. And don't be offended if you don't make the cut.

To answer your questions more directly - yes, email. Obviously attach the letter, and it would be much better to provide some sort of proof of your publications - links or PDFs or something - I don't know that mentioning two publications would carry much weight but I guess it couldn't hurt. Include a request to connect personally at the end. As for when...what are you waiting for??

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:36 pm

[quote="telbo340"]Let me say this first - there is no "perfect" way to get off a wait list. It is a tough, unpredictable, process with varying success. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that you want them to see you as one of the few candidates on that typically long list who is worth brining in.

That being said, I'd recommend submitting everything you mentioned all at once. Put yourself in the shoes of an admissions director. It's much easier to assess someone's credentials if they are compiled in a convenient way. Reach out to someone on the admissions team who has some pull. Set up a phone chat with them. Go visit them. Whatever you feel comfortable doing, show them you care for a reason beyond the school's ranking. And don't be offended if you don't make the cut.

To answer your questions more directly - yes, email. Obviously attach the letter, and it would be much better to provide some sort of proof of your publications - links or PDFs or something - I don't know that mentioning two publications would carry much weight but I guess it couldn't hurt. Include a request to connect personally at the end. As for when...what are you waiting for??[/quote]

Since I just sent the LOCI ~3 weeks ago, I was thinking of waiting until closer to when they actually review us WL candidates to send it in. There's also a small chance that I would have a 3rd paper, but these journals move so slow in reviewing, I sort of doubt it...

telbo340

New

Post by telbo340 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:43 pm

In my opinion, waiting only gives the more ambitious candidates an advantage. Send your 3rd article when/if it happens.

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:48 pm

telbo340 wrote:In my opinion, waiting only gives the more ambitious candidates an advantage. Send your 3rd article when/if it happens.
Awesome - I appreciate the help!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Visits”