Bringing a Backpack to an Admit Day? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
goirish12

New

Bringing a Backpack to an Admit Day?

Post by goirish12 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:29 am

I know this is a ridiculously simple question, but I can't seem to figure out the answer and my personal judgement on this kind of thing always ends up being dead wrong.

Should we be bringing backpacks to admit days? To hold wallet/keys/phone/pen and any miscellaneous items that are handed to us? Or would a purse suffice? What do most people bring on admit days?

Again, I know this is probably super obvious to most people, but I really appreciate responses! Like I said, I'm absolutely terrible at gauging what I should bring to events of any kind.

JFO1833

Bronze

Re: Bringing a Backpack to an Admit Day?

Post by JFO1833 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:33 am

I have been to 3 admit programs:

One passed out tote bags
One had a coat/bag check
One had a bag check and tote bags

You could ask the school if they'll have a bag check. If not, I'd probably try to avoid bringing a backpack. It won't be a problem, just maybe a hastle.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:37 am

Bring a purse. If you want to bring a large-ish purse or tote bag to carry whatever (tablet, pad of paper, water bottle, sweater, etc), go for it. But you're not a student yet and you're not staying overnight; a backpack would look a bit odd.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:41 am

Don't bring a bag pack it's nerdy and you will get ripped on

goirish12

New

Post by goirish12 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:58 am

JFO1833 wrote:I have been to 3 admit programs:

One passed out tote bags
One had a coat/bag check
One had a bag check and tote bags

You could ask the school if they'll have a bag check. If not, I'd probably try to avoid bringing a backpack. It won't be a problem, just maybe a hastle.
I agree about the backpack being a hassle; I was hoping the consensus would be not to bring one. I never would've guessed there'd be tote bags at the event. Thanks for the info!
rinkrat19 wrote:Bring a purse. If you want to bring a large-ish purse or tote bag to carry whatever (tablet, pad of paper, water bottle, sweater, etc), go for it. But you're not a student yet and you're not staying overnight; a backpack would look a bit odd.
Good to know! I much prefer a purse to a backpack anyways, so I'm glad to hear it. Thank you for the response! (:
baal hadad wrote:Don't bring a bag pack it's nerdy and you will get ripped on
Haha, so noted! See, this was exactly why I asked. I just remember not bringing one to undergrad visit day, and it turned out everyone else brought one and I looked stupid lugging a handful of papers around (...and dropping them in the middle of the road and running after them in the wind; it was quite the sight!). Anyways, thanks for the tip!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:10 am

I brought a padfolio and I was the only one I saw with it. A backpack isn't necessary. A purse is a great option, but as a male I didn't have that.

goirish12

New

Post by goirish12 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:51 am

KMart wrote:I brought a padfolio and I was the only one I saw with it. A backpack isn't necessary. A purse is a great option, but as a male I didn't have that.
And I will never understand how you men can manage without having the purse option for things, haha. But glad to hear it! Thanks for the advice!

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:00 am

Bring whatever you want. You'll probably be able to hold all the stuff they give you in your hands - or a folder or tote they provide. But if you prefer carrying a backpack that's fine.

If anyone rips on you for carrying a backpack, then at least you know who the jerks are so you can avoid them in the future.

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:12 am

I brought a backpack to the two ASWs I've been too and there were lots of others that did the same. It was helpful in the sense that both schools gave me folders full of information and it'd be inconvenient to carry them by hand all day but it's certainly not necessary. I simply dropped it off where I was staying before evening activities began.

I also agree that anyone who gives you a hard time for something as trivial as bringing a backpack is a moron
Last edited by BlueLaw11 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

#caltrash

Gold

Post by #caltrash » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:12 am

Just bring a backpack. why would anyone care?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:01 am

only if it rolls and you play this on a shoulder-held boombox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvlQOjK0MPk

martymoose

New

Post by martymoose » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:19 am

If the school is going to hand you so much junk that you'd need a bag, they'll supply it (or look like idiots for not doing so). On the other hand, if you have so much stuff that you need a bag, then bring a bag. If you need a backpack, it's nobody's business as to why.

idissent

Bronze

Post by idissent » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:11 pm

A larger purse should suffice, but you probably wouldn't be out of place carrying a backpack. Also, for the record, not every school gives out totes, even when you do get a bunch of stuff.

bnazty

New

Post by bnazty » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:03 pm

martymoose wrote:If the school is going to hand you so much junk that you'd need a bag, they'll supply it (or look like idiots for not doing so). On the other hand, if you have so much stuff that you need a bag, then bring a bag. If you need a backpack, it's nobody's business as to why.
Thank you. Are people so insecure that they are afraid of bringing a backpack to a school? Relax people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”