What are ASW/ASD's like? Recommended over individual visit? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Drowninmyowntears

Bronze

What are ASW/ASD's like? Recommended over individual visit?

Post by Drowninmyowntears » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:21 pm

Hello,

I was just wondering what exactly goes on at ASW/ASD's for law schools. All I have to compare them too are undergrad ASD's, which were a pretty boring. People on these forums seem quite excited about ASW's, so I'm just wondering what they are all about! I'm excited to visit the one or two schools that I am the most seriously interested in, but if these things are so fun, maybe I should go to the other ones as well?

Also, how do ASW/ASD's compare to an individual visit? If I have specific questions about a department or program, would it be in my best interest to visit on my own?

Lay it on me, people.

thisone2014

Bronze

Re: What are ASW/ASD's like? Recommended over individual visit?

Post by thisone2014 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:57 pm

I don't have any personal experience, but here's the schedule for Columbia's ASD, in case it's representative:
  • Class visits
    Welcome and discussion with the Dean of the Law School
    Discussion: social Justice Law at columbia
    Lunch
    Mock Classes
    Discussion: Contemporary legal issues
    Student Organization fair
    Guided Tour of Campus
    Welcome reception
    Student Organization Events
By comparison, only the guided tour and the class visit are available during normal visits.

clintone88

Bronze

Post by clintone88 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:18 pm

The only real benefit to going to ASD over a random visit is you get to meet people you might be seeing every day for 3 years, and the school may pay for your trip. Otherwise ASD is mostly just a sales pitch. It is extremely unlikely to give a you a realistic view of the school or professors. Everyone is on their best behavior and usually full of shit. You may have a great interaction with a professor that is in reality a major asshole.

If you go on your own, you get the guided tour, but then after you can just wander around the school for awhile on your own, blending in with the other students. You will get a much more realistic feel for what it's like on a day-to-day basis. You can also usually set it up with the admissions to sit in on a real class (instead of whatever BS "class" you would do at ASD).

ASD is a time to go get drunk with some other people that might go to the same school, but it really isn't a time to actually determine if you should go there. That should mainly be done by researching their employment and how much debt you'll be in. Then if you're between some schools, I think visiting on your own will give you a better idea of if you'll actually enjoy the day to day.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:02 am

So far I've visited one school during its ASW and the other as an individual visit. I agree with the above poster that both are a lot like sales pitches, and I'm not sure you are going to learn that much that you couldn't find out from their website & other materials that they have sent you already. I think the primary benefit of going during an ASW is 1) the school will often pay for a big chunk of your trip 2) you may be able to make more connections with profs/alums than you would otherwise.

For me, my environment/the city I am going to live in is a factor in my decision, so getting a feel for it was important for me -- and I got that both from visiting during ASW and during an individual visit. If it's not going to be easy for you to make it during ASW, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Often, schools will have scheduled tours and panels on Fridays when ASW is not in session, so you can just participate in those.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:47 am

I only went to NYUs, but theyre a good opportunity to check out campus/the city/housing for free. The actual events were boring as fuck and I skipped almost all of them, there's not really any new information if you've read up about the school online imo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:10 am

Free food and alcohol

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:11 am

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Free food and alcohol
This. Plus meeting a ton of your potential classmates. Go to ASWs.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:23 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
This. Plus meeting a ton of your potential classmates. Go to ASWs.
This. You will be ahead of the curve when it comes to networking if you know a lot of people.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:24 am

Plus travel stipends.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:28 am

I went to one ASW and did another individual visit. The ASW showed me that I didn't fit in with the staff at all and would have been fighting my own battles to get the job I want. Their philosophy clashed with my intended industry and they didn't even try to hide it in a recruitment setting. I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't gone to ASW because they did panels for the different specialties and it wasn't something that I ever thought would be a problem anywhere in that state. Sharing my concerns about the ASW school at the individual visit showed me the complete opposite at the individual school. Glad I went because it totally flipped my preference.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

bieberfeva

New

Post by bieberfeva » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:49 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:Plus travel stipends.

Leonardo DiCaprio

Bronze

Post by Leonardo DiCaprio » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:09 pm

it can be a nice way to meet people and find roommates. otherwise i think they are pretty boring. it's a nice excuse to visit a city though, especially if they are giving you travel stipends.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:18 pm

LawBron wrote:it can be a nice way to meet people and find roommates. otherwise i think they are pretty boring. it's a nice excuse to visit a city though, especially if they are giving you travel stipends.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Free food and alcohol plus an opportunity to travel somewhere new. The travel stipend allowed me to tack on a day or two onto the trip and travel to nearby places I had always wanted to see.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”