ASW Drinking Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
kj2314

New

ASW Drinking

Post by kj2314 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a law school applicant this year, and I am 20-years-old. I'll be 21 by the time law school starts, but I'll still be 20 when ASWs/ASDs happen. What will these experiences be like for me? I've heard that there's a lot of alcohol at most of the events, so I'm afraid it might be awkward. I imagine I could pretty easily just not go to events at actual bars (or take along my "novelty"), but they're not going to single me out as someone not to serve at catered, open bar type events right? Has anyone gone through this?

Thanks in advance!

glitter178

Silver

Re: ASW Drinking

Post by glitter178 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:33 pm

I mean, they're not going to put an "under 21" wristband on you. Just order a Perrier and get on with it

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Post by Caesar Salad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:36 pm

There was a girl at one of my accepted student events who was under 21 and drank at the bar. When they handed out wrist bands they did not check ids.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:00 pm

I only had 1 ASW event check IDs but that was because it was bar review. All others, including orientation events, I had no IDing.

That being said, don't be the awkward kid who touts about being underage all the time. It gets annoying.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Was 20 at asws and other events. Drank at everything, including bar review. The school will never id. Just dont mention your age and act like you've been there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vinnnyvincenzo

Bronze

Post by vinnnyvincenzo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Don't apply this year. Take time off to work and shit in between.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:05 pm

kj2314 wrote:Hi everyone,

I am a law school applicant this year, and I am 20-years-old. I'll be 21 by the time law school starts, but I'll still be 20 when ASWs/ASDs happen. What will these experiences be like for me? I've heard that there's a lot of alcohol at most of the events, so I'm afraid it might be awkward. I imagine I could pretty easily just not go to events at actual bars (or take along my "novelty"), but they're not going to single me out as someone not to serve at catered, open bar type events right? Has anyone gone through this?

Thanks in advance!
Just don't get wasted perpetually. I have seen that go really south for people -- 21 + or not

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:40 pm

phillywc wrote:Was 20 at asws and other events. Drank at everything, including bar review. The school will never id. Just dont mention your age and act like you've been there.

good luck with c&f

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:46 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
phillywc wrote:Was 20 at asws and other events. Drank at everything, including bar review. The school will never id. Just dont mention your age and act like you've been there.

good luck with c&f

LOL. Because C&F will prevent you from becoming a lawyer because you drank before you were legal. Common, that's just asinine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:48 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

good luck with c&f

LOL. Because C&F will prevent you from becoming a lawyer because you drank before you were legal. Common, that's just asinine.

it shows a calculated disregard for character and upholding the responsibilities of being an officer of the court

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:57 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

good luck with c&f

it shows a calculated disregard for character and upholding the responsibilities of being an officer of the court
Having a beer with your potential future classmates when you're 20 rather than 21 does not show a calculated disregard for character and upholding the responsibilities of the court.

He's not going around shoving vodka bottles into the hands of 15 year old's.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:10 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

good luck with c&f

You sound fun.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:12 pm

i'm just showing the law some respect

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Holy fuck bro

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Post by Caesar Salad » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:28 pm

phillywc wrote:Holy fuck bro
Underage drinking is bad, m'kay!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:43 pm

he's just trolling, everyone calm down.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:28 am

dont go to law school if youre 20 years old

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:35 am

mephistopheles wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
sideroxylon wrote:how do you define love, fisto?
and why don't you date?

how do i define love? uhhh, i've always viewed it as a companionship relationship accompanied by sexual attraction. do i believe in "true love"? no, i think it's more arbitrary and based almost entirely on context and circumstances, more who you meet and when than any objective understanding

and i don't date because i have this weird thing where i'm paralyzed at the thought of putting women in uncomfortable positions, which is debilitating. i also have this tendency to turn most of my memories (overwhelming majority) into bad memories where i hyperfocus on small awkward moments, regardless of the experience of others. i've long since just given up on the notion.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:02 am

I was 20 when I went to ASWs and one school actually did have an indicator on the name tag (blue dot or something) so that the bartenders would know not to serve me alcohol at the reception held in the school for their own liability purposes. It wasn't awkward, just something I thought I'd note since everyone seems to think it isn't even possible that a school would do that.

UnderTheLaw

New

Post by UnderTheLaw » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:dont go to law school if youre 20 years old

NYCFAN1

New

Post by NYCFAN1 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:43 pm

this

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:41 pm

UnderTheLaw wrote:

LSATneurotic

Silver

Post by LSATneurotic » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
UnderTheLaw wrote:
What if you are wise beyond your years?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:19 pm

LSATneurotic wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
UnderTheLaw wrote:
Whatif you are wise beyond your years if you are intellectually 'special' such that no additional years will help you?
FTFY

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:03 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
kj2314 wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Just don't get wasted perpetually. I have seen that go really south for people -- 21 + or not
I was at a local law school (big state school, midwest) for business this afternoon, and it was their ASW; got on the elevator with some guy who was literally steadying himself with both hands flat against the wall as though he was undergoing a pat-down and couldn't decide whether to throw up on his shoes or not; he smelled so bad that I had to bail to a random floor. All I could think was, "his entire 1L year, he's gonna be that guy."

ETA: This was at noon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”