Delete Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
rlrsb03

New

Delete

Post by rlrsb03 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:13 pm

Deleted
Last edited by rlrsb03 on Tue May 10, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nomo

Silver

Re: Visiting Law Schools before applying

Post by Nomo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:39 pm

I'm sure you can get a visit if you contact admissions.

That said, I'm not sure how useful visits really are. This isn't undergrad, its professional school. Job prospects (including the type of work you want and the location you want) and cost should be 95% of your decision. You can get the relevant info for cost and job prospects on LST.

rlrsb03

New

delete

Post by rlrsb03 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:56 pm

delete
Last edited by rlrsb03 on Tue May 10, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

rlrsb03

New

delete

Post by rlrsb03 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:14 pm

delete
Last edited by rlrsb03 on Tue May 10, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:13 pm

nickb285 wrote:I'm a fan of visiting campuses but I don't know that I'd do it pre-application. It's entirely possible that one or more of the schools you apply to will be overly stingy with scholarships or you'll have a weird cycle and visiting will be a waste of time and money. There's also the risk that you'll allow your feelings about a particular campus to influence your decision to an undue degree, making you more likely to accept an offer that's not as good as you deserve.

In the end, I wound up visiting four schools where I had good offers and where I thought I could see myself living, after eliminating all the offers that didn't fit that criteria. I also visited GULC after I got off the waitlist, but that was partly because it was so late in the cycle and unexpected that I wanted a few extra days to decide, and partly because DC is a decent tourist destination even without the school aspect. I'm glad I made those visits, but trying to do every school I was interested in would have cost an unnecessary amount of time and money.

As for meeting with the admissions officer, it doesn't hurt and it might be a chance to ask some questions, but nothing will be expected of you and it's not going to make a difference unless a) you're so borderline that they are literally deciding between you and another person for the last waitlist spot, in which case you're going to be offered a Western regional at sticker and shouldn't take it anyway, or b) you act like a completely irredeemable shithead. If you have the numbers for admission and basic social skills, it won't matter.
Would you suggest going on individual visits or on admitted students only visits?

Chris McCandless

Bronze

Post by Chris McCandless » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Hey I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm also interested on this topic. This is particularly true for schools that look for "Why X" essay. I want to write a compelling, personal response to this question. As a previous poster said, a substantial part of my decision rests on employment outcomes. But I want to write about certain things that I can research but are more compelling after a visit. I won't be able to visit until early December, but I want to apply ASAP due to working full time and distance to schools.

Any guidance on a solution to this?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”