IUB Maurer and SMU Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
squee116

New

IUB Maurer and SMU

Post by squee116 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:51 am

Over the last week I have visited both Maurer and Dedman. While the impressions I got from each school seemed to conflict with one another, I still have a hard time deciding.

Maurer and Dedman both occupy a small corner of their respective campus, and the buildings and classrooms seem to be in good shape.

The architecture on each campus is great, and I'd have no problems walking around either to kill the time, though it would be easier at Maurer with its campus walkways.

During my guided visit, I got to talk to upperclassmen about their experiences at each school. The Maurer students spoke of the importance of extra curricular activities, stressing a need for networking and experiencing new things. Each was a part of at least three different law school organizations at some point, and still active in at least two orgs. Several upperclassmen with an IP focus dropped by, and stressed how important certain professors and organizations were. The whole experience felt like it was tailored to me, and that the admissions officer actually read my application in setting it up.

At Dedman, I was hosted by an upperclassmen who was a fellow business undergrad, and who was primarily interested in corporate law. He had been on a journal, though I don't think he specified which, and he had been a part of the small business clinic. When asked , he explained that he felt he gained more experience through internships than student orgs, and withdrew from both. The admissions officer couldn't remember that I was visiting from out of state or what areas of law initially interested me. That said, I wouldn't say it was a bad experience, but if admissions officers are any indication, SMU follows a more self directed philosophy and Maurer is willing to hold your hand through the process. This conclusion was strengthened by further talks with the admissions officers. Maurer's had leaflets, pamphlets, brochures, and more for any questions I had, and spoke of certain programs to help 1ls find a focus that interests them.
SMU's admission officer answered some questions, and directed me to the school website for many answers. He explained SMU's belief that a JD should be a general degree and focuses such as IP or corporate law programs were purposefully missing from curriculum in favor of a LA carte class choices in the hopes of making students well rounded. As I said, both schools interest me, and its possible my interactions with each school during the visits may not be representative of the school experience as a whole.
Additionally, the cities definitely stress the difference between small town and big town lifestyles, so if one had a preference, the choice may be more easily made.

El Principe

Silver

Re: IUB Maurer and SMU

Post by El Principe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:57 pm

Are you asking for help deciding or...

squee116

New

Post by squee116 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:59 pm

Nope just giving my impressions from the visit.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:05 am

LOL @ the leaflets.

squee116

New

Post by squee116 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:37 am

cron1834 wrote:LOL @ the leaflets.
Yeah, most of it had more to do with life in the city but some of the pamphlets had interesting stuff about the law program.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:05 am

Should have posted this in the thread about campus visits. And i hope you're not actually using any of these factors to make a decision.

squee116

New

Post by squee116 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:29 am

Isn't this the law school visit thread? And no, it's not influencing my decision, as I know of the existence of LST and have been lucky to speak to tlsers.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:35 am

Oh yeah, my bad.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:37 am

What kind of city/town are you from and how did you find Dallas? As a Texan (but never been to Dallas) who might have to apply there eventually since it's a large market, i'm curious.

squee116

New

Post by squee116 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:47 am

I'm from a suburb outside of Los Angeles. I really like Dallas, but the roads aren't quite designed the same out here. I've seen a lot cultural diversity in the city and the people are generally more pleasant than my so cal fellows. As big cities go(I'm not normally a fan) it was enjoyable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”