Columbia April 9-10 ASW: Reactions Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
patfeeney

Bronze

Columbia April 9-10 ASW: Reactions

Post by patfeeney » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:58 pm

Wanted to know everyone's thoughts on the Columbia ASW so far... events, speakers, etc.

Overall I'm impressed. The social justice speakers went on for too long, but it's an important part of the school.

Lunch could have used more hot food.

Water bottles were cool though! And the mock class was definitely nice... a bit more participatory than sitting in on a course that's already halfway through the material.

Also, anyone going to the event at the Pourhouse tonight?

New

Re: Columbia April 9-10 ASW: Reactions

Post by 92653 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Comparing with SLS and HLS, Columbia had by far the best food. (So Faculty House. Much fancy. Very Ivy.) I am a bit disappointed that I liked it so much because it makes my decision that much harder, but it did seem like a lot of admits leaning Columbia were dinged from the Trinity or riding out waitlists, and the extent to which people seemed ready to jump ship at the sound of a phone call was pretty discouraging for those debating turning some of the prestigey-er schools down.

Now I want to teach or do a postgrad stint at Columbia one day, though. It seemed so fancy.

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:18 pm

92653 wrote:Comparing with SLS and HLS, Columbia had by far the best food. (So Faculty House. Much fancy. Very Ivy.) I am a bit disappointed that I liked it so much because it makes my decision that much harder, but it did seem like a lot of admits leaning Columbia were dinged from the Trinity or riding out waitlists, and the extent to which people seemed ready to jump ship at the sound of a phone call was pretty discouraging for those debating turning some of the prestigey-er schools down.

Now I want to teach or do a postgrad stint at Columbia one day, though. It seemed so fancy.

Do what you want to do. Sure, HLS and SLS are prestigey-er, but that's like comparing a thousand-dollar sundae coated with gold shavings to a thousand-dollar sundae coated with gold shavings and a cherry on top.

New

Post by 92653 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:42 am

patfeeney wrote:
92653 wrote:Comparing with SLS and HLS, Columbia had by far the best food. (So Faculty House. Much fancy. Very Ivy.) I am a bit disappointed that I liked it so much because it makes my decision that much harder, but it did seem like a lot of admits leaning Columbia were dinged from the Trinity or riding out waitlists, and the extent to which people seemed ready to jump ship at the sound of a phone call was pretty discouraging for those debating turning some of the prestigey-er schools down.

Do what you want to do. Sure, HLS and SLS are prestigey-er, but that's like comparing a thousand-dollar sundae coated with gold shavings to a thousand-dollar sundae coated with gold shavings and a cherry on top.
Honestly that sounds delicious. Though I've never eaten, or even casually gnawed on, gold. :p

Columbia has cool people and great water bottles, so props to them for that! Mock class on Windsor was great, though I could already spot the gunners :)

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:53 am

Nutella crepes. Nuff said.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”