UDC Law open house on March 22, 2014 Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
PinkRevolver

New

Re: UDC Law open house on March 22, 2014

Post by PinkRevolver » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:09 am

VAUDC2016 wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
VAUDC2016 wrote: Thank you for your reply, but with all due respect, I think you misunderstood my analogy. Just as calories provide only one measure of the potential value, it does not provide a conclusive measure. In fact, something that is very low in calories, but also has no nutrients might be worse for you than something that is high in calories but also high in nutrients.
90% of the concern for 90% of the prospective students here is jobs (ie, calories). No one cares about the other stuff, because a quality education is easily obtained at 100+ other institutions. That's not a distinguishing characteristic and therefore it isn't a selling point. This has been explained to you by a diverse group of current and former students. Yet, you continue to ignore this. That is why people are suggesting that you're willfully ignorant or an adcomm (adcomm being the typical person who is actually incentivized to behave in such a way).
UDC through its clinical program offers a unique opportunity to get hands on experience, particularly in public interest. Throughout the curriculum, even as a 1L, students get involved directly with the community, notably with the more vulnerable demographics within DC. You should really consider checking our clinical program out - it's actually ranked third in the country by the ABA.

How are the clinics "unique" when the majority of schools offer similar programs? Any reason other than that 1Ls can participate? And what's the point of this "unique" "hands on experience" if nobody will hire you when you graduate to even do the things you learned in clinic?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:12 am

So what I'm hearing here is that UDC is great for me if I don't want to get a job? Even if someone is kind enough to indulge your "our grads self-select out of real employment" bit, why would I, as someone interested in getting a legal job, choose to put myself around that group of people?

potterdam

New

Post by potterdam » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:27 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:That ranking of clinical programs isn't by the ABA. It's by the National Jurist, a legal magazine that depends on selling ads. It also doesn't say anything about the quality of the program - the ranking is determined by dividing the number of full-time clinical course opportunities by the number of full-time students at the school. All it shows is that UDC has the third-highest number of clinical slots for students. But I don't know anyone who's wanted to do a clinic at any other school who hasn't been able to.
Lolol National Jurist is a joke. Half of my CSR emails from TTT/TTTT schools mentioned their fantastic rankings on some National Jurist measure. The higher it ranked on NJ, the lower it was on USNWR/LST.

dd235

Bronze

Post by dd235 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:33 am

I think we should create a new metric to better judge law schools in general.

(clinical opportunities/students) + percent of student body that is female + relative location to the nation’s capital IMO would be the best metric for judging which school to attend

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:48 am

Props to this guy...every Chamber of Commerce in the country is chomping at the bit to hire him.

Hopefully he will transfer to Washington & Lee for his 2L year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PinkRevolver

New

Post by PinkRevolver » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:17 pm

awww man, I was hoping to be entertained for a third night in a row :cry:

NoLieAbility

Bronze

Post by NoLieAbility » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:27 pm

VAUDC2016 wrote: Contact:
lawadmission@udc.edu
Phone: (202) 274-7341
Hey,

So, first off, don't sweat the haters. I think we all privately acknowledge that there is much more to a successful legal career than the employment numbers of your law school, and against real world experience - like the kind you describe in your clinics - we need to be willing to weigh things as individuals, rather than lemmings. If we all made decisions based purely on numbers and statistics, we never would have settled the West. I encourage you to keep dreaming, and keep showing people they have options that don't come from cookie-cutters.

I'd love to come to your open house, but as someone living in California, I won't be able to do so. Do you think you might put a bug in your admission office's ear and have them send me some literature? Just something a little more substantive about what they offer that can compete with the (marginally) better job prospects of a competing peer school like the other non-Ivies. (Stanford, NYU, Texas, etc.)

My mailing address is:
660 S Bonnie Brae St, Los Angeles, CA 90057

Thanks a lot.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Those sample averages

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 pm

VAUDC2016 wrote:Name one non-Ivy League school that has a more impressive and diverse faculty.
Stanford, Cooley etc

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoLieAbility

Bronze

Post by NoLieAbility » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:36 pm

jk148706 wrote:
VAUDC2016 wrote:Name one non-Ivy League school that has a more impressive and diverse faculty.
Stanford, Cooley etc
Anyone can cherry pick the elites as examples. OP was clearly being rhetorical, anyway. Pay less attention to what they said than to what they're saying.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:02 am

LOL how did I miss this thread. comedy gold

Poopface

New

Post by Poopface » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:25 am

I read through about half of this thread and just couldn't take you saying "scant statistics" anymore, so I stopped. That word doesn't even make any sense and you keep using it

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:30 am

NoLieAbility wrote:
lawadmission@udc.edu
Hey,

So, first off, don't sweat the haters. I think we all privately acknowledge that there is much more to a successful legal career than the employment numbers of your law school, and against real world experience - like the kind you describe in your clinics - we need to be willing to weigh things as individuals, rather than lemmings. If we all made decisions based purely on numbers and statistics, we never would have settled the West. I encourage you to keep dreaming, and keep showing people they have options that don't come from cookie-cutters.

I'd love to come to your open house, but as someone living in California, I won't be able to do so. Do you think you might put a bug in your admission office's ear and have them send me some literature? Just something a little more substantive about what they offer that can compete with the (marginally) better job prospects of a competing peer school like the other non-Ivies. (Stanford, NYU, Texas, etc.)

My mailing address is:

Thanks a lot.
PCL address was a nice touch. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:32 am

rad lulz wrote:To follow your stupid analogy, say I want to eat a blooming onion

Turns out it's about 2000 calories

Eating a bloomin onion is a stupid idea based on just calories alone

Udc is like a bloomin onion

Just the job prospect stats are enough to demonstrate that Udc is a cesspool

And that no one should go there
Get the fuck out blooming onions are delicious. The whole food analogy is 120 and is a clue to why perhaps UDCs employment numbers are so low.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:10 am

Tagged for toilet reading.

copingtrope

Bronze

Post by copingtrope » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:41 am

Oh goodness, I haven't been this entertained on TLS in a while.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:09 am

NoLieAbility wrote:
lawadmission@udc.edu
Hey,

My mailing address is:

Thanks a lot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:22 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:23 am

NoLieAbility wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
Stanford, Cooley etc
Anyone can cherry pick the elites as examples. OP was clearly being rhetorical, anyway. Pay less attention to what they said than to what they're saying.
LOL. I'm dying. :lol:

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:24 pm

VAUDC2016 wrote:In fact, predictions based on such scant data are inherently unreliable.
"The" data re: employment outcomes at your school is, by definition, not scant, you fucking retard. Further, stop throwing around terms like defamation on a website filled with fucking lawyers. You are trying to coax people to your school by displaying your legal acumen, not drive them away by fucking up a very simple legal concept.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:29 pm

bjsesq wrote:
VAUDC2016 wrote:In fact, predictions based on such scant data are inherently unreliable.
"The" data re: employment outcomes at your school is, by definition, not scant, you fucking retard. Further, stop throwing around terms like defamation on a website filled with fucking lawyers. You are trying to coax people to your school by displaying your legal acumen, not drive them away by fucking up a very simple legal concept.
After making this thread, this guy made me not want to go to this school even more.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:31 pm

VAUDC2016 wrote:
lawadmission@udc.edu
Someone should send the link to this thread to that email address.

:lol:

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:49 pm

VAUDC2016 wrote:While the statistics may be based on individual data, what is presented on the website, I would assume, is just the school average. Those numbers may be influenced by outside variables, for example, UDC has a female majority student body. Statistically, they are probably more likely than males to stay home and raise a family. Likewise, UDC is located in the most competitive lawyer market in the entire world. That, too, would have some effect on the employment levels. I think it's a safe bet that if UDC was located in a more rural area (where there's less competition), the employment figures would be much higher.

My intention is to urge people to gain a deeper understanding of the school and to truly consider it with an open mind.
I just want to make sure that anyone joining the thread late doesn't miss this post.

He's gotta just be messing with us now, right? No one would say something like this with a straight face.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:53 pm

kinda funny how these TTT students never jump on here after graduation to tell us how great their "educational experience" was. Come back 1 year after graduation, then give us your opinion of your school

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:44 pm

I was about to take a nap with my head packed in ice if he called the data "scant" one more time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”