Dress Code for ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
RCSOB657

Gold

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:02 pm

Well considering Ohio is not a campus carry state...wth do you think? You done baiting?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:05 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:Well considering Ohio is not a campus carry state...wth do you think? You done baiting?
I'm a little surprised you'd even consider a school in a state where you can't bring your gun to class; don't they get the IHOP treatment?

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:05 am

I only saw one suit today at my first admit day and it turned out to be a 1L dressed up for a CB he had later. Sort of disappointed...

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:42 pm

I think you also have to keep weather in mind. Maybe if it were nicer outside I would try a bit more, but yeah if it's snowing and I have to take public transport I'm going to be wearing jeans and boots and something warm and IDGAF. For the ASWs I went to you you could pretty much wear anything and be fine. The only people that stood out to me were people wearing tiny dresses (to the night events admittedly) and no jacket because I was wondering how they weren't freezing to death.

Also, oddly Harvard's ASW had a lot more parents than Columbia/NYU (at least to the events where parents were allowed). On my campus tour I actually felt out of place not having my parents...

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Once you're in, you're in. ASW is about the school wooing you, not the other way around. Barring some sort of additional interviews, such as what RSCOwhatever is talking about, or a cocktail reception or something, wear whatever you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:29 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Once you're in, you're in. ASW is about the school wooing you, not the other way around.
That's a good point. I just wish my ASWs were Ws and not Ds.

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:40 am

Going to an ASW right from a red eye plane flight. It's probably going to be freezing for me (I live in CA do anything below 60 is sweater weather) so I'll be wearing jeans and a sweater. I know I'll be tired so idgaf

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:57 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
giantswan wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:I'm assuming you're bringing a portfolio or pad to write things down? Just get a document folder (you should have one with a portfolio), keep it all in there. I've got one with a zipper, so I can use it as a case without having to worry about stuff falling out.
Is this something that most people do?

I wasn't planning on taking anything with me when I visited schools - I just figured they'd give us anythiI'mng we needed.
Lol you don't need to do that. And I mean it's also not like they're gonna tell you anything that you couldn't have learned from the website.
Just your parents

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:59 am

hdunlop wrote:I would dress up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:23 am

Scotti has the CR - It. Does. Not. Matter.

Although. Look around at ASW - note who has a suit on at ASW of all freaking places. Avoid those people. Your school experience will be much better as a result.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Lolz, ended up not wearing a full suit. Several people there did though, 4 of 23 I think. I was not the oldest person there, one guy was a retired career State Trooper.

prodigal.daughter

New

Post by prodigal.daughter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:33 pm

I just think someone needs to voice this side of the argument:

Consider the school you're attending when you decide what to wear. If you're going to an ASW for a Catholic School, for instance, you might want to consider leaning toward the dressy side of the scale. I wore jeans (decent, but light and not dressy) and a nice, dressy sweater to an ASW last weekend, and I honestly felt underdressed for the first half of the day (until I stopped caring), even though the invite specifically said to dress casually. Most people were wearing slacks or dark, dress jeans. It was too cold to wear dress skirts or dresses, but I imagine a number would have been wearing those had the weather cooperated.

That said, it really is about seeing how comfortable you feel, so you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in. And, really, it shouldn't matter what you're wearing. But if you're concerned about it, then you should think about the school before deciding what to wear.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:00 pm

prodigal.daughter wrote:I just think someone needs to voice this side of the argument:

Consider the school you're attending when you decide what to wear. If you're going to an ASW for a Catholic School, for instance, you might want to consider leaning toward the dressy side of the scale. I wore jeans (decent, but light and not dressy) and a nice, dressy sweater to an ASW last weekend, and I honestly felt underdressed for the first half of the day (until I stopped caring), even though the invite specifically said to dress casually. Most people were wearing slacks or dark, dress jeans. It was too cold to wear dress skirts or dresses, but I imagine a number would have been wearing those had the weather cooperated.

That said, it really is about seeing how comfortable you feel, so you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in. And, really, it shouldn't matter what you're wearing. But if you're concerned about it, then you should think about the school before deciding what to wear.
I would say you're joking but based on your handle/tar I guess not... Good luck to you out there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:08 pm

There is no argument in which to take sides. You could wear stained pajamas or full tuxedo. No one cares. Not on asw, not even in class for the most part (and that's even if you're showing up to class).

You will have much more to deal with once you're a student - what rags you are stuffing your overtired carcass into isn't one of them. Doesn't matter what school, doesn't matter what other people are doing. The school wants your tuition dollars and for you to boost their employment numbers down the road. They're not gonna ax you cuz you wore the wrong loafers.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:10 pm

zacharus85 wrote:There is no argument in which to take sides. You could wear stained pajamas or full tuxedo. No one cares. Not on asw, not even in class for the most part (and that's even if you're showing up to class).

You will have much more to deal with once you're a student - what rags you are stuffing your overtired carcass into isn't one of them. Doesn't matter what school, doesn't matter what other people are doing. The school wants your tuition dollars and for you to boost their employment numbers down the road. They're not gonna ax you cuz you wore the wrong loafers.
My school has a large jewish contingent, should this affect my dress? Not sure how this differs from catholic attire.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:14 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:There is no argument in which to take sides. You could wear stained pajamas or full tuxedo. No one cares. Not on asw, not even in class for the most part (and that's even if you're showing up to class).

My school has a large jewish contingent, should this affect my dress? Not sure how this differs from catholic attire.
Orthodox or reform? As for catholics, based on GULC, I'd say biz casual with a perpetual look of shame for your sinful aspie ways

prodigal.daughter

New

Post by prodigal.daughter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:25 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:I would say you're joking but based on your handle/tar I guess not... Good luck to you out there.
Joking about what? How out of place my jeans and a sweater seemed at this one ASW, or my advice to go with what you're comfortable in, or go for the dressier side of things if you won't be comfortable if you end up underdressed? Because I don't see how either of those would be joking, really.

I mean, I wouldn't advocate wearing a suit or anything, because that's far too dressy, but slacks and a blouse was truly the standard at this ASW. I can't imagine how out of place I would have felt if I'd worn jeans and a t-shirt or something. But, hey. People can wear what they want; I'm just sharing my experience.

Oh, relax. I wasn't saying there was a formal or heated argument. I just meant that I wanted to show one potential factor answering the question, that's it.

I never once suggested that what you wore would matter at all to the school or even to other people. I'm just saying that if someone's the type of person who would feel uncomfortable if they were under or over dressed, then they should consider the school when trying to plan the outfit accordingly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:31 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:37 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Assuming you're talking about GULC, although I guess you could not be there are a fair number of catholic schools, but I wore a t shirt and regular jeans and didn't feel underdressed. Shit one dude carried a sword with him the whole time, and didn't particularly seem to give a shit that people were judging him so who cares what you wear

ETA you weren't talking about GULC but still want to share the sword thing so I'm leaving it

Wat. There's no way they let a dude wear a sword. Unless it was like his seeing-eye sword.

I fucking love my school.

prodigal.daughter

New

Post by prodigal.daughter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:38 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Assuming you're talking about GULC, although I guess you could not be there are a fair number of catholic schools, but I wore a t shirt and regular jeans and didn't feel underdressed. Shit one dude carried a sword with him the whole time, and didn't particularly seem to give a shit that people were judging him so who cares what you wear

ETA you weren't talking about GULC but still want to share the sword thing so I'm leaving it
Hahaha! That sword thing is awesome!

But no, I wasn't talking about GULC; I was talking about ND's ASW. But if t-shirt and jeans were the norm at GULC, then maybe it's not the Catholic factor that made ND so dressy... Which just makes the whole experience even weirder, honestly. How did so many people all decide to overdress at the same ASW?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:55 pm

prodigal.daughter wrote:How did so many people all decide to overdress at the same ASW?
Future law students... overdressing? Hmm must be b/c they're Catholic.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

prodigal.daughter

New

Post by prodigal.daughter » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:01 am

scottidsntknow wrote:Future law students... overdressing? Hmm must be b/c they're Catholic.
I guessed it was the Catholic school influence only because the majority of men there (including some of the students we saw walking around) were in very uniform-like khakis with a button-up shirt, tie, and sweater thrown over. It looked like what you'd expect at a Catholic high school... hence my assumption.

And, considering what everyone seems to have been saying about the majority of future law students not overdressing and wearing more casual attire... I figured there had to be something else to explain the only ~10-15% casual attire (I'm defining this as business casual and below, though most of this estimated chunk fell in the business casual section, I'd say).

GULCPerson

Bronze

Post by GULCPerson » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:52 pm

More details on sword dude needed ASAP

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post removed.

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:31 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
GULCPerson wrote: More details on sword dude needed ASAP
idk dude was just walking around with what appeared to be a big ass sword that was like slung over his back. Pretty typical sword in my limited sword experience. Like Aragorn lord of the rings style, not a fancy one or anything. No one seemed particularly concerned by it. Didn't like whip it out or do any tricks though I'm now regretting not talking to him about why he had a sword. Seemed like a pretty normal dude otherwise. Not really sure how he got it passed the security lady though.
I feel like you can't be close to normal otherwise if you carry a sword to ASW. Really, a sword anywhere (unless you're the Swiss guard or something).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”