Dress Code for ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
CTT

Bronze

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Post by CTT » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:37 am

So in case anyone is actually looking at this thing seriously...No one cares what you wear. If you go to formal, people might remember you as that guy. If your pants are falling down, it's going to raise some eyebrows. Otherwise, nobody gives a crap.

Dress for the weather.

crisgcia

New

Post by crisgcia » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Not to sound like a stinker to the colder ASWs out there, but does anyone have recommendations for warm weather ASWs? Afraid a jacket/sweater's a recipe for disaster on a tour.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:20 pm

wear a nice polo

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:40 pm

I just went to my ASD and there was such a mix of different outfits. There were jeans and shirts and I wore dress pants and dress shirt. No one stood out but one guy who was in a full suit and it did look like he was a gunner. He even realized it and took the tie and jacket off. It was a long 4 hours so you really just want to be comfortable. Remember at this point they are trying to make the good impression on you.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:45 pm

dwil770 wrote: What about trying to sow early seeds of discomfort in your classmates' minds? Do you think they will get psyched out since they know they prob won't out rank the professionally dressed guy in a suit, and are just one slot closer to the bottom already? Or is it better to look like a slob so they never see you coming and have a false sense of security?
I think if you want to make your classmates uncomfortable the ninja costume posted above is the way to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillswimming72

New

Post by stillswimming72 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:37 pm

Just got back from my first ASW. I saw a wide range of outfits but I would say the majority dressed in business casual attire. Some wore jeans and a nice blouse + jacket. Hope that helps!!!

jlamb555

New

Post by jlamb555 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Just don't wear athletic shorts and don't wear a tie. It's not that hard.

Magical Trevor

Bronze

Post by Magical Trevor » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:20 pm

There was one guy in a suit during my last ASW. One guy. He looked ridiculous. There was another guy wearing slacks, a windbreaker, and carrying a briefcase. He was suit guy's closest rival.

Serett

Post by Serett » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:44 pm

I didn't notice a thing anyone else was wearing at Duke's ASW, but I can confirm that no nudists were present.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:57 pm

Basically wear what you would wear to go on a first date with someone you really like.... But like to get coffee or something.

To those saying wear business casual: WTF??

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:01 pm

Emma. wrote:Basically wear what you would wear to go on a first date with someone you really like.... But like to get coffee or something.

:?: Business casual is like khakis and a button down, or a pencil skirt and cardigan. I don't get the WTF.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Emma. wrote:Basically wear what you would wear to go on a first date with someone you really like.... But like to get coffee or something.

:?: Business casual is like khakis and a button down, or a pencil skirt and cardigan. I don't get the WTF.
The only people who might care about what you are wearing are the other ASW attendees. The idea of "making a good impression" on the school, or that you need to dress even somewhat professionally is just way off course. Folks should wear whatever is comfortable. Jeans are entirely appropriate.

I only suggested the first date dress code because ASW hook-ups.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:11 pm

Emma. wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

The only people who might care about what you are wearing are the other ASW attendees. The idea of "making a good impression" on the school, or that you need to dress even somewhat professionally is just way off course. Folks should wear whatever is comfortable. Jeans are entirely appropriate.

Sure, jeans are fine. No one's going to stand out in business casual, though, if that's what someone's more comfortable in, and it's a perfectly fine middle of the road.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:31 pm

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:40 pm

Emma. wrote:bangbang.png
Can I buy these in bulk?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:53 pm

Emma. wrote:Image
Now this is swag I would actually use. Why don't they give away tees in the lobby rather than highlighters and post-its? I don't know anybody who uses a highlighter after 1L, so it's really a waste.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Emma. wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

That's a bit far fetched even for TLS jokes.

I laughed anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ullr

New

Post by Ullr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:37 am

Help! should I wear my dark black suit or my slightly darker black one to asd? Pls respond.
Last edited by Ullr on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:55 am

Bronx Bum wrote:To those saying "wear whatever you want":

I would advise against that. This is your first chance to make a good impression. Obviously you don't need to wear a $1500 suit, but a decent brooks brothers suit with nice shoes, a decent tie would go a long way in developing a reputation for caring about your profession/colleagues.
NO

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:39 am

What about for those who have never been in the cold? I was planning to wear a suit jacket, but don't want to overdress. I don't have casual, warm clothing because we can go swimming in February where I live. I'm not looking forward to the snow.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:41 am

KamronK wrote:What about for those who have never been in the cold? I was planning to wear a suit jacket, but don't want to overdress. I don't have casual, warm clothing because we can go swimming in February where I live. I'm not looking forward to the snow.
You've NEVER been in the cold

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:44 am

Illinois level cold, no. I've taken a short walks in lower temperatures when I had to get to work very early, but ive gone full winters without having a jacket at all. I did see snow fall one time, so I'm sorry for exaggerating.

Hootimestwo

New

Post by Hootimestwo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:38 pm

I plan to attend UVA's dressed as Thomas Jefferson, from tri-corner hat and red wig down to pantaloons. If you want to get noticed and make a big first impression, you don't half-ass it.

aelphabawest

New

Post by aelphabawest » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:45 pm

I wore the same thing I wear when I'm trying to present "Serious Adult" (I work in the nonprofit world and really only have to dress businessy when I'm at a meeting). In my case it was a sheath dress with belt, tights, and a cardigan. I would say a suit would be overkill because I was definitely on the more business end of those I saw.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:52 pm

I volunteered to help out with my schools' recruiting events, including ASW, back when I was in law school, so I can speak from experience when I urge you to not go overly formal (i.e. do NOT wear a suit). The guy who comes to the event wearing a suit inevitably comes off as a tool, both to fellow students, and the school staff. A smart bet is business casual attire. You can't go wrong with a polo shirt, a nice button down shirt, maybe a nice sweater, etc. And thats at a maximum. You would be fine wearing a polo shirt and jeans if you wanted, and wouldn't be at all out of place.

You have to keep in mind what the purpose and setting is. You aren't trying to impress anyone here. It is the school trying to impress YOU at that point. Its a day to come visit the school and sort of pretend to be a student for a day. And students don't dress overly formal (or formal at all for that matter). So don't go overboard or else it looks out of place.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”