Dress Code for ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
RCSOB657

Gold

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:01 am

Lolz. My RSVP on this second school says business casual, but I am also sitting down with the Dean. Suit it is. My first school's visit back in February was basically a formal interview to confirm me wanting the full ride they offered: It did not say anything in the RSVP but I sure as hell wore a suit.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:03 am

At Columbia ASD yesterday, at least 30% of the people were wearing jeans and only a handful were close to what I could call dressed up.

If it's good enough for Columbia, it's probably ok most places

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:34 am

TCR is tuxedo t-shirt

AquafiNa

New

Post by AquafiNa » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:59 am

GoneSouth wrote:At Columbia ASD yesterday, at least 30% of the people were wearing jeans and only a handful were close to what I could call dressed up.

If it's good enough for Columbia, it's probably ok most places
Jeans and what? Like a button down shirt?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:10 am

Jeans and a button front is TCR for guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Having been to two schools this week and seen all range of clothing from T-shirts and jeans to blazers and dresses, I can say with a reasonable degree of confidence that no one cares. Just don't be the kid with your parents.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:06 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Having been to two schools this week and seen all range of clothing from T-shirts and jeans to blazers and dresses, I can say with a reasonable degree of confidence that no one cares. Just don't be the kid with your parents.
One of the two other people that went to the same interview day I did in Feb had his mom there...

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:12 pm

I mean depending on what school you're looking at, a lot of parents may be paying substantial amounts for the school so you sure as hell better let your mom or dad come if they want to. Parents are only a problem when they ask questions.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:06 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:I mean depending on what school you're looking at, a lot of parents may be paying substantial amounts for the school so you sure as hell better let your mom or dad come if they want to. Parents are only a problem when they ask questions.
Dude, no.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:29 pm

I was hoping someone would add a fresh new take to this fledgling topic...

Dream_weaver32

Silver

Post by Dream_weaver32 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:29 pm

I was at an event this weekend where there were a large number of parents. They were the ones asking all the questions. It was kind of annoying. It's professional school, time to be professional.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:50 pm

Dream_weaver32 wrote:I was at an event this weekend where there were a large number of parents. They were the ones asking all the questions. It was kind of annoying. It's professional school, time to be professional.
What school

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:48 am

To those who have gone to a few ASWs: Is it normal to be bombarded with pamphlets/brochures throughout the day? Wondering if I should bring a backpack to store things

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:08 pm

I'm assuming you're bringing a portfolio or pad to write things down? Just get a document folder (you should have one with a portfolio), keep it all in there. I've got one with a zipper, so I can use it as a case without having to worry about stuff falling out.

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:08 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:I'm assuming you're bringing a portfolio or pad to write things down? Just get a document folder (you should have one with a portfolio), keep it all in there. I've got one with a zipper, so I can use it as a case without having to worry about stuff falling out.
Is this something that most people do?

I wasn't planning on taking anything with me when I visited schools - I just figured they'd give us anything we needed.

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:23 pm

This can't be serious. If you wear a suit to ASW, you are a tool. Wear jeans or business casual.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:29 pm

giantswan wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:I'm assuming you're bringing a portfolio or pad to write things down? Just get a document folder (you should have one with a portfolio), keep it all in there. I've got one with a zipper, so I can use it as a case without having to worry about stuff falling out.

I wasn't planning on taking anything with me when I visited schools - I just figured they'd give us anything we needed.
Lol you don't need to do that. And I mean it's also not like they're gonna tell you anything that you couldn't have learned from the website.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:07 pm

No, you don't 'need' to do it. You don't even need to go to their program. However, if you're going to a place you've never been to before and are there for the singular purpose of figuring out if you want to be there for the next three years of your life and you aren't taking notes (mental or physical), well that's your choice. The two ASW I am going to have interview components for further considerations, so yes I will wear a suit and be prepared to answer and ask questions.

Anyone else can show up in flip flops for all I really fraking care. Your future, you own it.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:10 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:No, you don't 'need' to do it. You don't even need to go to their program. However, if you're going to a place you've never been to before and are there for the singular purpose of figuring out if you want to be there for the next three years of your life and you aren't taking notes (mental or physical), well that's your choice. The two ASW I am going to have interview components for further considerations, so yes I will wear a suit and be prepared to answer and ask questions.

Anyone else can show up in flip flops for all I really fraking care. Your future, you own it.
A+ would read again :lol:

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:11 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:No, you don't 'need' to do it. You don't even need to go to their program. However, if you're going to a place you've never been to before and are there for the singular purpose of figuring out if you want to be there for the next three years of your life and you aren't taking notes (mental or physical), well that's your choice. The two ASW I am going to have interview components for further considerations, so yes I will wear a suit and be prepared to answer and ask questions.

Your performance art truly is masterful.

giantswan

Bronze

Post by giantswan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:15 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
giantswan wrote:

Lol you don't need to do that. And I mean it's also not like they're gonna tell you anything that you couldn't have learned from the website.
Chill, thank you.

On another note, my first ASW is tomorrow and after reading this thread I'm really interested to see if anyone shows up in a suit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:22 am

I feel like there's always one.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:45 am

Tad bit more simple than that though, my interview is at the end of the ASW. I'll just throw my tie and jacket on right before it.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:45 pm

Are you open carrying at ASW?

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:57 pm

hereisonehand wrote:

Are you open carrying at ASW?
:lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”