Dress Code for ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
funzies

New

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Post by funzies » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:10 pm

While you all are concerned about covering ankle tattoos I sit here wondering if my plan to get a tattoo that will cover up a good portion of the exposed side of my upper arm is a very bad one :P I know some people might think it is career suicide, but if it can be covered up (with panty hose for tattoos on the leg or cardigans for arm tattoos) why should people give a damn?

I am also speaking as someone who showed up to HYS as an undergrad with huge stretched earlobes and an eyebrow piercing :D

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:37 pm

funzies wrote:While you all are concerned about covering ankle tattoos I sit here wondering if my plan to get a tattoo that will cover up a good portion of the exposed side of my upper arm is a very bad one :P I know some people might think it is career suicide, but if it can be covered up (with panty hose for tattoos on the leg or cardigans for arm tattoos) why should people give a damn?

I am also speaking as someone who showed up to HYS as an undergrad with huge stretched earlobes and an eyebrow piercing :D
I'd recommend going 1/2 or full sleeve.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:29 pm

funzies wrote:While you all are concerned about covering ankle tattoos I sit here wondering if my plan to get a tattoo that will cover up a good portion of the exposed side of my upper arm is a very bad one :P I know some people might think it is career suicide, but if it can be covered up (with panty hose for tattoos on the leg or cardigans for arm tattoos) why should people give a damn?

I have multiple tattoos (on my torso and hip, so I don't have to be that worried about covering them up), and I would say that is an absolutely horrible plan. I think it would just be a hassle to always have to wear long sleeves at work, etc.

But, I know an ADA who is covered in tattoos. She has to wear suits or cardigans all the time, and it gets pretty hot where she works (Southwest), so I'm sure it gets annoying in the heat but she seems to make it work just fine.

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:41 pm

I have almost fifty tattoos including my entire back, full sleeves, a palm tattoo, ribs, legs, etc.

It's never hampered my career. The only one that shows with a suit on is my palm, and even that one is hard to see.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:25 pm

brinicolec wrote:
nimbus2020 wrote:Is there some sort of unspoken rule that dressing up for women has to involve skirts or dresses? It's going to be a long 3 years if I'm frowned upon for preferring pants. :roll:
Going off of this, I don't mind skirts/dresses, but I have a tattoo on my ankle. Could I just put on pantyhose to "cover it" if I wear a skirt/dress or am I doomed to pants life?
Is skirt/socks combo not a thing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:33 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
nimbus2020 wrote:Is there some sort of unspoken rule that dressing up for women has to involve skirts or dresses? It's going to be a long 3 years if I'm frowned upon for preferring pants. :roll:
Going off of this, I don't mind skirts/dresses, but I have a tattoo on my ankle. Could I just put on pantyhose to "cover it" if I wear a skirt/dress or am I doomed to pants life?
It depends lol

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:48 pm

brinicolec wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
It depends lol
Oh god, I was joking.

Unless you're talking about short skirt/knee high socks.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:39 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
It depends lol
Oh god, I was joking.

Unless you're talking about short skirt/knee high socks.
Yeah, that's why I said it depends lol

funzies

New

Post by funzies » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:44 pm

dannyswo wrote:

Lol go big or go home, huh? :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:48 pm

funzies wrote:
dannyswo wrote:

One tattoo just looks lonely.

funzies

New

Post by funzies » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:49 pm

bwaldorf wrote:

I have multiple tattoos (on my torso and hip, so I don't have to be that worried about covering them up), and I would say that is an absolutely horrible plan. I think it would just be a hassle to always have to wear long sleeves at work, etc.

But, I know an ADA who is covered in tattoos. She has to wear suits or cardigans all the time, and it gets pretty hot where she works (Southwest), so I'm sure it gets annoying in the heat but she seems to make it work just fine.
Yeah, I am still not 100% sure I am going to go through with this but it is good to hear other people's perspectives.

funzies

New

Post by funzies » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:53 pm

dannyswo wrote:
funzies wrote:
dannyswo wrote:

Well, I said it would be one big one but actually it would be a couple of tattoos meshed together :D I know my parents are gonna give me an earful if I go through with it but I am tired of worrying so much about what other people think. I guess I need to decide for myself and just remember that I may have to modify my wardrobe accordingly. :)

funzies

New

Post by funzies » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:01 pm

whodareswins wrote:I have almost fifty tattoos including my entire back, full sleeves, a palm tattoo, ribs, legs, etc.

It's never hampered my career. The only one that shows with a suit on is my palm, and even that one is hard to see.
Thanks for your comment! It's good to hear that other people have been able to make having tattoos in visible areas work! People are probs surprised when they see all your tattoos for the first time if they always see you in a suit :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:05 pm

funzies wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:

Yeah, I am still not 100% sure I am going to go through with this but it is good to hear other people's perspectives.
I wouldn't do it. Law's a stuffy career. It definitely won't help, it probably won't hurt, but you never know when the wrong old fashioned person who just so happens to be your boss/potential boss will make a judgment about it. Give yourself one less thing to worry about by getting the tat somewhere else or not at all.

Tl;dr: asking whether it should matter is the almost always going to be the wrong question moving forward.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Eh, the thing about an upper arm tattoo is that it's never going to show in 1) an interview or 2) court. So I'd say it's actually a bit easier than ankle/calf. So the issue will be whether your workplace would care that it shows in short sleeves (assuming it does), or whether you're willing always to wear sleeves to work that will cover it. Because you might well end up in an office where you'd have to keep it covered (but I think it's going to depend on where you work. I can't think of any lawyers in my office who have arm tattoos, but I can't imagine anyone caring; one just dyed half her hair blue).

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:20 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Eh, the thing about an upper arm tattoo is that it's never going to show in 1) an interview or 2) court. So I'd say it's actually a bit easier than ankle/calf. So the issue will be whether your workplace would care that it shows in short sleeves (assuming it does), or whether you're willing always to wear sleeves to work that will cover it. Because you might well end up in an office where you'd have to keep it covered (but I think it's going to depend on where you work. I can't think of any lawyers in my office who have arm tattoos, but I can't imagine anyone caring; one just dyed half her hair blue).
This is kind of what I'm saying though. Why put yourself in a position where you have to worry about it at all?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:26 pm

HuntedUnicorn wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Eh, the thing about an upper arm tattoo is that it's never going to show in 1) an interview or 2) court. So I'd say it's actually a bit easier than ankle/calf. So the issue will be whether your workplace would care that it shows in short sleeves (assuming it does), or whether you're willing always to wear sleeves to work that will cover it. Because you might well end up in an office where you'd have to keep it covered (but I think it's going to depend on where you work. I can't think of any lawyers in my office who have arm tattoos, but I can't imagine anyone caring; one just dyed half her hair blue).
This is kind of what I'm saying though. Why put yourself in a position where you have to worry about it at all?
Because you like tattoos?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:36 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:
Because you like tattoos?
Yup, it really is that simple. lol.

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:08 am

ashrice13 wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
I'm sure there is nothing wrong with covering it with a pantyhose, or if your tattoo is low enough, you could also wear some cute booties that would conceal it!
Yeah, if the pantyhose cover it you should be all set!

I, unfortunately, am probably doomed to wearing pants forever because pantyhose won't conceal mine and it's a little higher than my ankle so no boot trick. It's my least favorite tattoo too, damnit. Ah to be 18 again.
I feel you on that! I have a tattoo on the back of my neck and I'm pretty sure I'm doomed to wear turtlenecks or scarves until I grow out my bob :roll: but do you guys think it's fine to not conceal your tattoo for ASW/law school? I mean, since you're already admitted it shouldn't really matter until you start working, right? (I could be totally wrong though) I should mention that I sat in on a class at UCLA the other day and saw some people with clearly visible tattoos and this girl was even wearing a garter belt :shock:

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:14 am

Christinabruin wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
I'm sure there is nothing wrong with covering it with a pantyhose, or if your tattoo is low enough, you could also wear some cute booties that would conceal it!

I, unfortunately, am probably doomed to wearing pants forever because pantyhose won't conceal mine and it's a little higher than my ankle so no boot trick. It's my least favorite tattoo too, damnit. Ah to be 18 again.
I feel you on that! I have a tattoo on the back of my neck and I'm pretty sure I'm doomed to wear turtlenecks or scarves until I grow out my bob :roll: but do you guys think it's fine to not conceal your tattoo for ASW/law school? I mean, since you're already admitted it shouldn't really matter until you start working, right? (I could be totally wrong though) I should mention that I sat in on a class at UCLA the other day and saw some people with clearly visible tattoos and this girl was even wearing a garter belt :shock:
I, too, have a tattoo on the nape of my neck. I wear wigs/weaves/other protective styles a lot though so it's all good lol.

I've been wondering about this too. I imagine it'd be fine other than, maybe, for networking events. I also have a double nose ring thing going on (one in each nostril) and one of them just never healed the way I would've liked so the less I have to take it out, the better lol.

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:29 am

brinicolec wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Christinabruin wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

I, too, have a tattoo on the nape of my neck. I wear wigs/weaves/other protective styles a lot though so it's all good lol.

I've been wondering about this too. I imagine it'd be fine other than, maybe, for networking events. I also have a double nose ring thing going on (one in each nostril) and one of them just never healed the way I would've liked so the less I have to take it out, the better lol.
Hahaha I like how this thread just turned into a tattoo thread! Now we're spilling all our piercings/tattoos 8) I think the weaves/wigs are an excellent idea! It's just a real hassle for me since I got used to my short hairstyle, but like you said, I'm assuming not covering your tattoos should only matter for networking events/interviews and such! And regarding the piercings, I hope yours heal soon since I know the pain of that.. I have six piercings total and it is also best for me to leave them in as much as possible LOL

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:41 am

funzies wrote:
dannyswo wrote:
funzies wrote:
dannyswo wrote:

Well, I said it would be one big one but actually it would be a couple of tattoos meshed together :D I know my parents are gonna give me an earful if I go through with it but I am tired of worrying so much about what other people think. I guess I need to decide for myself and just remember that I may have to modify my wardrobe accordingly. :)
That's the key- as long as you're fully okay with the required wardrobe than it's fine. I'm planning on getting a 1/4 sleeve done this summer. I'm also ALWAYS cold in every situation so I wear a long sleeve sweater at work every day already anyway. my only sacrifice will be potentially having to wear that stuff outside too for a short period of time...which seems worth it to me.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:54 pm

zeglo wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what is the appeal of tattoos? They're permanent.
That to me is the appeal. I'm pretty covered, and the tattoos I have are essentially a scrapbook of my life; they remind me of things/places/people that I may otherwise forget. And on a more superficial level, they can look pretty badass too! Here is my back:

http://imgur.com/rnrNLQ2

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:16 pm

zeglo wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what is the appeal of tattoos? They're permanent.
They better be, I spent a fortune on mine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”