Dress Code for ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:19 pm

If you dress up for ASW, you will be remembered for being a weirdo. Stop taking yourselves so seriously. You don't need to wear a suit yet, you couldn't be less important.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:51 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:If you dress up for ASW, you will be remembered for being a weirdo. Stop taking yourselves so seriously. You don't need to wear a suit yet, you couldn't be less important.
You are so self-effacing and chill!

2000andBeyond

Silver

Post by 2000andBeyond » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Currently I'm in Philly, having gone to a tour at Penn yesterday. Guys, I'm salivating at Penn. I would gladly sacrifice a small child if it meant I could get off the waitlist.

And P.S. Wore a nice blouse, dark jeans and boots. Anything more fancy would have looked insane.

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:11 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Hey guys - I want people to know I mean business. Thoughts?
[+] Spoiler
I believe we're going to the same BU asd, right? Let's both wear this.
You know it; on the 24th yeah. Might actually do it for the social functions after, tho.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:02 pm

I just went to a ASD at PSU-Dickinson. There were maybe 20-30 in attendance (first one and intentionally small class). I wore a slim fit calvin klein dress shirt and khakis, with a tie and dress shoes (being " older" for beginning law school, this is pretty normal for me). Out of 20-30 people, maybe 2 or 3 has jeans on. 1 or 2 wore a full-blown suit, and maybe 5 or so wore a tie. Clothing as all over the place, and everything was perfectly fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:48 pm

bmathers wrote:I just went to a ASD at PSU-Dickinson. There were maybe 20-30 in attendance (first one and intentionally small class). I wore a slim fit calvin klein dress shirt and khakis, with a tie and dress shoes (being " older" for beginning law school, this is pretty normal for me). Out of 20-30 people, maybe 2 or 3 has jeans on. 1 or 2 wore a full-blown suit, and maybe 5 or so wore a tie. Clothing as all over the place, and everything was perfectly fine.
oddly specific

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:30 am

curry1 wrote:
bmathers wrote:I just went to a ASD at PSU-Dickinson. There were maybe 20-30 in attendance (first one and intentionally small class). I wore a slim fit calvin klein dress shirt and khakis, with a tie and dress shoes (being " older" for beginning law school, this is pretty normal for me). Out of 20-30 people, maybe 2 or 3 has jeans on. 1 or 2 wore a full-blown suit, and maybe 5 or so wore a tie. Clothing as all over the place, and everything was perfectly fine.
oddly specific
I also had a Tommy Hilfiger tie on.

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:44 am

curry1 wrote:
oddly specific
bmathers is "older" so he had to show off that he's still slim fit. :wink:

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:22 pm

dannyswo wrote:
curry1 wrote:
oddly specific
bmathers is "older" so he had to show off that he's still slim fit. :wink:
Or maybe I'm not slim fit, but like my clothes fitting like spandex? ;-)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:56 am

2000andBeyond wrote:Currently I'm in Philly, having gone to a tour at Penn yesterday. Guys, I'm salivating at Penn. I would gladly sacrifice a small child if it meant I could get off the waitlist.

And P.S. Wore a nice blouse, dark jeans and boots. Anything more fancy would have looked insane.
Pics or it didn't happen lol.

nimbus2020

New

Post by nimbus2020 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:26 am

Is there some sort of unspoken rule that dressing up for women has to involve skirts or dresses? It's going to be a long 3 years if I'm frowned upon for preferring pants. :roll:

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:14 am

Skirts/dresses are more formal for women. But pants are completely fine. You may get some people saying you should do skirts for interviews with judges (who can be more traditional). But it's still all up to you.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:15 pm

nimbus2020 wrote:Is there some sort of unspoken rule that dressing up for women has to involve skirts or dresses? It's going to be a long 3 years if I'm frowned upon for preferring pants. :roll:
I have a tattoo in my lower leg so it's gonna always be pants for me. I'm more comfortable in pants anyway. Honestly, I don't think that it's a huge deal. I think skirts might be preferred by some but women wearing pants is not a new concept. Just get yourself some sharp suits and you should be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:20 pm

I got invited to a reception for admitted students, which is being held at a law firm? I'm assuming for something like that, you'd wear a suit, right?

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Wearing my freshly-bought University of American Samoa Law School t-shirt for ASD, and I'll figure out who my friends in law school will be.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:45 pm

Just reporting an anecdotal experience: I didn't wear a suit, but I dressed nicely at my fairly recent open house that I attended (yes, the CK slim fit shirt and tie ;-) ). The admissions committee recently shot me an email and said that the profs who met with me had glowing reviews, and they wanted to offer me a stipend. Definitely not trying to gun or brag, but last year only 3 students in the entire LS received a stipend. My numbers are only around median, so I would advise to at least take these things a bit serious and don't wear sweat pants when you go. Put forward a good first impression and you never know what may come of it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:30 am

bmathers wrote:Just reporting an anecdotal experience: I didn't wear a suit, but I dressed nicely at my fairly recent open house that I attended (yes, the CK slim fit shirt and tie ;-) ). The admissions committee recently shot me an email and said that the profs who met with me had glowing reviews, and they wanted to offer me a stipend. Definitely not trying to gun or brag, but last year only 3 students in the entire LS received a stipend. My numbers are only around median, so I would advise to at least take these things a bit serious and don't wear sweat pants when you go. Put forward a good first impression and you never know what may come of it.
Did the professors have "glowing reviews" of your tie or of your personal interactions with them? I'm betting it was the latter...

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:07 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
bmathers wrote:Just reporting an anecdotal experience: I didn't wear a suit, but I dressed nicely at my fairly recent open house that I attended (yes, the CK slim fit shirt and tie ;-) ). The admissions committee recently shot me an email and said that the profs who met with me had glowing reviews, and they wanted to offer me a stipend. Definitely not trying to gun or brag, but last year only 3 students in the entire LS received a stipend. My numbers are only around median, so I would advise to at least take these things a bit serious and don't wear sweat pants when you go. Put forward a good first impression and you never know what may come of it.
Did the professors have "glowing reviews" of your tie or of your personal interactions with them? I'm betting it was the latter...
Are you really going to be that dense?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:25 am

bmathers wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
No. I'm being complimentary.

The point was that I doubt your style of dress impressed them as much as you did. I'm sure some people care whether you wear a tie, but law professors aren't really impressed by the whole "dress for the job you want" bullshit.

Look, dress up for ASW. Or don't. But you aren't there to impress them.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:19 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
No. I'm being complimentary.

The point was that I doubt your style of dress impressed them as much as you did. I'm sure some people care whether you wear a tie, but law professors aren't really impressed by the whole "dress for the job you want" bullshit.

Look, dress up for ASW. Or don't. But you aren't there to impress them.
I get what you are saying now, I misread what you had typed (or should I say, misunderstood how you intended it).

I've gone on tours in flip flops and gym shorts and I've gone of other tours with a decent shirt and tie on. Neither is going to make or break, but a lot of people gain more confidence in themselves when they feel that they look good. That's why some people who work from home dress up, rather than working in their sweats. Some call centers demand that their employees dress business casual, at least, even though they only meet people over the phone -- because of the psychology that comes with dressing nicely.

It's more than just "looking the part." Does this pertain to everyone? Probably not. Do what you want, it's all good. I would just personally recommend dressing nicely, whatever that means to you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:25 pm

If you wear a tie to tour at PSU then I have a rock that keeps tigers away I'd like to sell you.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:49 am

nimbus2020 wrote:Is there some sort of unspoken rule that dressing up for women has to involve skirts or dresses? It's going to be a long 3 years if I'm frowned upon for preferring pants. :roll:
Going off of this, I don't mind skirts/dresses, but I have a tattoo on my ankle. Could I just put on pantyhose to "cover it" if I wear a skirt/dress or am I doomed to pants life?

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:15 am

brinicolec wrote:
Going off of this, I don't mind skirts/dresses, but I have a tattoo on my ankle. Could I just put on pantyhose to "cover it" if I wear a skirt/dress or am I doomed to pants life?
I'm sure there is nothing wrong with covering it with a pantyhose, or if your tattoo is low enough, you could also wear some cute booties that would conceal it!

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:34 am

Christinabruin wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
I'm sure there is nothing wrong with covering it with a pantyhose, or if your tattoo is low enough, you could also wear some cute booties that would conceal it!
Yeah, if the pantyhose cover it you should be all set!

I, unfortunately, am probably doomed to wearing pants forever because pantyhose won't conceal mine and it's a little higher than my ankle so no boot trick. It's my least favorite tattoo too, damnit. Ah to be 18 again.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”