Dress Code for ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Banshee

Bronze

Dress Code for ASW

Post by Banshee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:25 pm

What's the general consensus on dress code for ASWs?

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Post by Dingo Starr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:35 pm

business casual. suit and tie comes off gunner-style. sweatpants send the wrong message.

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:37 pm

3 piece or double-breasted suit obvi

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:51 pm

wear whatever you want

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Wear whatever you would wear to class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:01 pm

To those saying "wear whatever you want":

I would advise against that. This is your first chance to make a good impression. Obviously you don't need to wear a $1500 suit, but a decent brooks brothers suit with nice shoes, a decent tie would go a long way in developing a reputation for caring about your profession/colleagues.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:To those saying "wear whatever you want":

I would advise against that. This is your first chance to make a good impression. Obviously you don't need to wear a $1500 suit, but a decent brooks brothers suit with nice shoes, a decent tie would go a long way in developing a reputation for caring about your profession/colleagues.
So says the info-flyer for Aspie U, College of Law.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:12 pm

Maybe this is what you meant, but these are not far apart. (~$800-900 at discount)

In relation to the OP, I am wearing slacks and a blazer (with tie). More professorial than business. Hoping to look nice without looking like I'm trying too hard (NOTE: the irony of writing about trying to look like one is not trying too hard is not lost).

Also, I work, and this is just what I wear daily. So, it's what I'm comfortable in.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:24 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:30 pm

meh.

I don't think casual clothing gives off the impression that you don't care about your profession or colleagues.

Most of the people attending asw wont even be attending the school. its also like several months before classes start, so its not like anyone is going to remember you or what you wore.

besides, you've already been admitted. At this point, the school is trying to impress YOU.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Nova wrote:

meh.

I don't think casual clothing gives off the impression that you don't care about your profession or colleagues.

Most of the people attending asw wont even be attending the school. its also like 6 months before classes start, so its not like anyone is going to remember what you or what you wore.

besides, you've already been admitted. At this point, the school is trying to impress YOU.
Yeah. Plus law students wear casual clothing once they are in school. It's not as if they dress up for class.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Am I wrong for thinking someone with the username XO_MissCourtney is not worried about wearing a tie?

Suit is totally not necessary, especially since women have a wider range of options. I'd say a pencil skirt or the like/pants that aren't jeans with a nice top, maybe also a cardigan, would be fine. Dressy-ish shoes (not sneakers) but you will be tramping around on a tour, so I'd avoid 4" heels. You could also do skinny pants with boots just fine, probably, especially depending on the weather.

Of course, where I went to school people showed up (to ASWs) in jeans and tees all the time It's not that big a deal. Mostly I would say don't stand out at the extremes of casual or dressy and you'll be fine.

Banshee

Bronze

Post by Banshee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks everyone!

I'm definitely more of a fan of dressing nice and I work so I have plenty of suits and business wear. My only problem (and it's a little silly) is most of dress pants are longer and I have to wear heels with them. That's fine for a day at the office, but might suck if I'm trekking around campus.

I'm considering nice jeans and a blazer that I can wear flats with, but I don't want to look like a schlub.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:34 pm

XO_MissCourtney wrote:Thanks everyone!

I'm definitely more of a fan of dressing nice and I work so I have plenty of suits and business wear. My only problem (and it's a little silly) is most of dress pants are longer and I have to wear heels with them. That's fine for a day at the office, but might suck if I'm trekking around campus.

I'm considering nice jeans and a blazer that I can wear flats with, but I don't want to look like a schlub.
I think that would be fine - a blazer makes the jeans more dressy, and you're comfortable. (I have the dress pant problem, too.)

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:36 pm

go with the jeans and blazer. wear comfortable clothes. The key is comfort. Oh, bring a flask if you are over 21. If not, don't go to law school until you are at least 21

Banshee

Bronze

Post by Banshee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:42 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I think that would be fine - a blazer makes the jeans more dressy, and you're comfortable. (I have the dress pant problem, too.)
Thank you for your input...much appreciated!! :D

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Post by Dingo Starr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:43 pm

northwood wrote:The key is comfort. Oh, bring a flask if you are over 21. If not, don't go to law school until you are at least 21
credited.
ASW receptions with open bars are also nice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:11 pm

Oh my goodness...I was planning on just a plain t shirt and jeans...I thought asw/asd didn't matter that much to dress up...

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Bajam wrote:Oh my goodness...I was planning on just a plain t shirt and jeans...I thought asw/asd didn't matter that much to dress up...
but then you might be mistaken for a law student

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Wear anything from a step above jeans+t-shirt to a step below business-casual.

Robbin Blue

Silver

Post by Robbin Blue » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:33 pm

The code at Alabama's was basically business casual. I think there were only two or three people in the room wearing jeans. No suits, though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:57 pm

I'd dress for my future classmates, not the administration/professors. So, something stylish like jeans and blazer would be nice. I would probably go with jersey dress, leggings, and knee-high boots. But sounds like you've got it covered.

theotherone823

Bronze

Post by theotherone823 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:41 pm

I gone to all of mine so far in jeans and a nice button down or sweater and I never felt like I stood out or was under dressed. I think the goal is to look neat and put together and not like you just rolled out of bed or like a bum.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:08 am

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Wed May 07, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:06 pm

A bear skin jacket, bear hat and all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”