Dress Code for ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
User avatar
Iwanttolawschool
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby Iwanttolawschool » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:19 pm

If you dress up for ASW, you will be remembered for being a weirdo. Stop taking yourselves so seriously. You don't need to wear a suit yet, you couldn't be less important.

curry1
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby curry1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:51 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:If you dress up for ASW, you will be remembered for being a weirdo. Stop taking yourselves so seriously. You don't need to wear a suit yet, you couldn't be less important.


You are so self-effacing and chill!

2000andBeyond
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby 2000andBeyond » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Currently I'm in Philly, having gone to a tour at Penn yesterday. Guys, I'm salivating at Penn. I would gladly sacrifice a small child if it meant I could get off the waitlist.

And P.S. Wore a nice blouse, dark jeans and boots. Anything more fancy would have looked insane.

User avatar
Dodocogon
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby Dodocogon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:11 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Hey guys - I want people to know I mean business. Thoughts?

[+] Spoiler
Image

I believe we're going to the same BU asd, right? Let's both wear this.


You know it; on the 24th yeah. Might actually do it for the social functions after, tho.

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby bmathers » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:02 pm

I just went to a ASD at PSU-Dickinson. There were maybe 20-30 in attendance (first one and intentionally small class). I wore a slim fit calvin klein dress shirt and khakis, with a tie and dress shoes (being " older" for beginning law school, this is pretty normal for me). Out of 20-30 people, maybe 2 or 3 has jeans on. 1 or 2 wore a full-blown suit, and maybe 5 or so wore a tie. Clothing as all over the place, and everything was perfectly fine.

curry1
Posts: 875
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby curry1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:48 pm

bmathers wrote:I just went to a ASD at PSU-Dickinson. There were maybe 20-30 in attendance (first one and intentionally small class). I wore a slim fit calvin klein dress shirt and khakis, with a tie and dress shoes (being " older" for beginning law school, this is pretty normal for me). Out of 20-30 people, maybe 2 or 3 has jeans on. 1 or 2 wore a full-blown suit, and maybe 5 or so wore a tie. Clothing as all over the place, and everything was perfectly fine.


oddly specific

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby bmathers » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:30 am

curry1 wrote:
bmathers wrote:I just went to a ASD at PSU-Dickinson. There were maybe 20-30 in attendance (first one and intentionally small class). I wore a slim fit calvin klein dress shirt and khakis, with a tie and dress shoes (being " older" for beginning law school, this is pretty normal for me). Out of 20-30 people, maybe 2 or 3 has jeans on. 1 or 2 wore a full-blown suit, and maybe 5 or so wore a tie. Clothing as all over the place, and everything was perfectly fine.


oddly specific

I also had a Tommy Hilfiger tie on.

User avatar
dannyswo
Posts: 3728
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby dannyswo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:44 am

curry1 wrote:
bmathers wrote:I just went to a ASD at PSU-Dickinson. There were maybe 20-30 in attendance (first one and intentionally small class). I wore a slim fit calvin klein dress shirt and khakis, with a tie and dress shoes (being " older" for beginning law school, this is pretty normal for me). Out of 20-30 people, maybe 2 or 3 has jeans on. 1 or 2 wore a full-blown suit, and maybe 5 or so wore a tie. Clothing as all over the place, and everything was perfectly fine.


oddly specific

bmathers is "older" so he had to show off that he's still slim fit. :wink:

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby bmathers » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:22 pm

dannyswo wrote:
curry1 wrote:
bmathers wrote:I just went to a ASD at PSU-Dickinson. There were maybe 20-30 in attendance (first one and intentionally small class). I wore a slim fit calvin klein dress shirt and khakis, with a tie and dress shoes (being " older" for beginning law school, this is pretty normal for me). Out of 20-30 people, maybe 2 or 3 has jeans on. 1 or 2 wore a full-blown suit, and maybe 5 or so wore a tie. Clothing as all over the place, and everything was perfectly fine.


oddly specific

bmathers is "older" so he had to show off that he's still slim fit. :wink:

Or maybe I'm not slim fit, but like my clothes fitting like spandex? ;-)

User avatar
Mr_Chukes
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:56 am

2000andBeyond wrote:Currently I'm in Philly, having gone to a tour at Penn yesterday. Guys, I'm salivating at Penn. I would gladly sacrifice a small child if it meant I could get off the waitlist.

And P.S. Wore a nice blouse, dark jeans and boots. Anything more fancy would have looked insane.

Pics or it didn't happen lol.

User avatar
nimbus2020
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby nimbus2020 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:26 am

Is there some sort of unspoken rule that dressing up for women has to involve skirts or dresses? It's going to be a long 3 years if I'm frowned upon for preferring pants. :roll:

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28717
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:14 am

Skirts/dresses are more formal for women. But pants are completely fine. You may get some people saying you should do skirts for interviews with judges (who can be more traditional). But it's still all up to you.

User avatar
ashrice13
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:15 pm

nimbus2020 wrote:Is there some sort of unspoken rule that dressing up for women has to involve skirts or dresses? It's going to be a long 3 years if I'm frowned upon for preferring pants. :roll:

I have a tattoo in my lower leg so it's gonna always be pants for me. I'm more comfortable in pants anyway. Honestly, I don't think that it's a huge deal. I think skirts might be preferred by some but women wearing pants is not a new concept. Just get yourself some sharp suits and you should be fine.

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby floatie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:20 pm

I got invited to a reception for admitted students, which is being held at a law firm? I'm assuming for something like that, you'd wear a suit, right?

zeglo
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby zeglo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:52 pm

.
Last edited by zeglo on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1205
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Wearing my freshly-bought University of American Samoa Law School t-shirt for ASD, and I'll figure out who my friends in law school will be.

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby bmathers » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:45 pm

Just reporting an anecdotal experience: I didn't wear a suit, but I dressed nicely at my fairly recent open house that I attended (yes, the CK slim fit shirt and tie ;-) ). The admissions committee recently shot me an email and said that the profs who met with me had glowing reviews, and they wanted to offer me a stipend. Definitely not trying to gun or brag, but last year only 3 students in the entire LS received a stipend. My numbers are only around median, so I would advise to at least take these things a bit serious and don't wear sweat pants when you go. Put forward a good first impression and you never know what may come of it.

cavalier1138
Posts: 4651
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:30 am

bmathers wrote:Just reporting an anecdotal experience: I didn't wear a suit, but I dressed nicely at my fairly recent open house that I attended (yes, the CK slim fit shirt and tie ;-) ). The admissions committee recently shot me an email and said that the profs who met with me had glowing reviews, and they wanted to offer me a stipend. Definitely not trying to gun or brag, but last year only 3 students in the entire LS received a stipend. My numbers are only around median, so I would advise to at least take these things a bit serious and don't wear sweat pants when you go. Put forward a good first impression and you never know what may come of it.


Did the professors have "glowing reviews" of your tie or of your personal interactions with them? I'm betting it was the latter...

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby bmathers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:07 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
bmathers wrote:Just reporting an anecdotal experience: I didn't wear a suit, but I dressed nicely at my fairly recent open house that I attended (yes, the CK slim fit shirt and tie ;-) ). The admissions committee recently shot me an email and said that the profs who met with me had glowing reviews, and they wanted to offer me a stipend. Definitely not trying to gun or brag, but last year only 3 students in the entire LS received a stipend. My numbers are only around median, so I would advise to at least take these things a bit serious and don't wear sweat pants when you go. Put forward a good first impression and you never know what may come of it.


Did the professors have "glowing reviews" of your tie or of your personal interactions with them? I'm betting it was the latter...

Are you really going to be that dense?

cavalier1138
Posts: 4651
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:25 am

bmathers wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
bmathers wrote:Just reporting an anecdotal experience: I didn't wear a suit, but I dressed nicely at my fairly recent open house that I attended (yes, the CK slim fit shirt and tie ;-) ). The admissions committee recently shot me an email and said that the profs who met with me had glowing reviews, and they wanted to offer me a stipend. Definitely not trying to gun or brag, but last year only 3 students in the entire LS received a stipend. My numbers are only around median, so I would advise to at least take these things a bit serious and don't wear sweat pants when you go. Put forward a good first impression and you never know what may come of it.


Did the professors have "glowing reviews" of your tie or of your personal interactions with them? I'm betting it was the latter...

Are you really going to be that dense?


No. I'm being complimentary.

The point was that I doubt your style of dress impressed them as much as you did. I'm sure some people care whether you wear a tie, but law professors aren't really impressed by the whole "dress for the job you want" bullshit.

Look, dress up for ASW. Or don't. But you aren't there to impress them.

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby bmathers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:19 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
bmathers wrote:Just reporting an anecdotal experience: I didn't wear a suit, but I dressed nicely at my fairly recent open house that I attended (yes, the CK slim fit shirt and tie ;-) ). The admissions committee recently shot me an email and said that the profs who met with me had glowing reviews, and they wanted to offer me a stipend. Definitely not trying to gun or brag, but last year only 3 students in the entire LS received a stipend. My numbers are only around median, so I would advise to at least take these things a bit serious and don't wear sweat pants when you go. Put forward a good first impression and you never know what may come of it.


Did the professors have "glowing reviews" of your tie or of your personal interactions with them? I'm betting it was the latter...

Are you really going to be that dense?


No. I'm being complimentary.

The point was that I doubt your style of dress impressed them as much as you did. I'm sure some people care whether you wear a tie, but law professors aren't really impressed by the whole "dress for the job you want" bullshit.

Look, dress up for ASW. Or don't. But you aren't there to impress them.

I get what you are saying now, I misread what you had typed (or should I say, misunderstood how you intended it).

I've gone on tours in flip flops and gym shorts and I've gone of other tours with a decent shirt and tie on. Neither is going to make or break, but a lot of people gain more confidence in themselves when they feel that they look good. That's why some people who work from home dress up, rather than working in their sweats. Some call centers demand that their employees dress business casual, at least, even though they only meet people over the phone -- because of the psychology that comes with dressing nicely.

It's more than just "looking the part." Does this pertain to everyone? Probably not. Do what you want, it's all good. I would just personally recommend dressing nicely, whatever that means to you.

User avatar
whats an updog
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:12 am

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby whats an updog » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:25 pm

If you wear a tie to tour at PSU then I have a rock that keeps tigers away I'd like to sell you.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4476
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:49 am

nimbus2020 wrote:Is there some sort of unspoken rule that dressing up for women has to involve skirts or dresses? It's going to be a long 3 years if I'm frowned upon for preferring pants. :roll:


Going off of this, I don't mind skirts/dresses, but I have a tattoo on my ankle. Could I just put on pantyhose to "cover it" if I wear a skirt/dress or am I doomed to pants life?

User avatar
Christinabruin
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby Christinabruin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:15 am

brinicolec wrote:
nimbus2020 wrote:Is there some sort of unspoken rule that dressing up for women has to involve skirts or dresses? It's going to be a long 3 years if I'm frowned upon for preferring pants. :roll:


Going off of this, I don't mind skirts/dresses, but I have a tattoo on my ankle. Could I just put on pantyhose to "cover it" if I wear a skirt/dress or am I doomed to pants life?


I'm sure there is nothing wrong with covering it with a pantyhose, or if your tattoo is low enough, you could also wear some cute booties that would conceal it!

User avatar
ashrice13
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Dress Code for ASW

Postby ashrice13 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:34 am

Christinabruin wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
nimbus2020 wrote:Is there some sort of unspoken rule that dressing up for women has to involve skirts or dresses? It's going to be a long 3 years if I'm frowned upon for preferring pants. :roll:


Going off of this, I don't mind skirts/dresses, but I have a tattoo on my ankle. Could I just put on pantyhose to "cover it" if I wear a skirt/dress or am I doomed to pants life?


I'm sure there is nothing wrong with covering it with a pantyhose, or if your tattoo is low enough, you could also wear some cute booties that would conceal it!

Yeah, if the pantyhose cover it you should be all set!

I, unfortunately, am probably doomed to wearing pants forever because pantyhose won't conceal mine and it's a little higher than my ankle so no boot trick. It's my least favorite tattoo too, damnit. Ah to be 18 again.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest