ASW vs. Just Taking a Trip by Yourself? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Workingtitle

New

ASW vs. Just Taking a Trip by Yourself?

Post by Workingtitle » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:14 pm

I'm wondering what people think the pros/cons are of visiting a school NOT during ASW. I am going to take 4-5 trips to the schools I'm considering (Berkeley, Duke, Michigan, and UT), and I initially thought I would just pick a week that worked well for me and go. Then, once I was pretty set on my choice, I would go to that school's ASW.

This was my plan, because I want to see the school in its natural habitat--like, what is it like just on a regular Tuesday? I thought that during ASW everything would be a bit... glammed up, because that is their opportunity to recruit me, so I might not get the picture of what it's really like there.

I've contacted those schools, and I can have meetings with people from Career Services, financial aid, faculty, all that good stuff, and also sit in on some classes.

I wanted to post here, because on TLS I usually only see people talking about taking a visit during ASW. Rarely do I see someone talking about just taking a random visit.

So, my question: Are there pros/cons to going/not going to the schools ASW's that I am missing?

NavyOfficer23

New

Re: ASW vs. Just Taking a Trip by Yourself?

Post by NavyOfficer23 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:47 pm

I actually think there are more pros to going for ASW. There, you can be pretty certain that any/all areas of the school will be available. People will be in their offices, students will be around, etc. You're likely to get more information during ASW than going by yourself. I think the "recruiting" aspect is somewhat overplayed. Just know that going in, and you'll be fine. PM me if you want any specific details about Michigan. Love it here.

jasper09

Bronze

Post by jasper09 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm planning to attend schools during ASW but I did attend Duke for undergrad-- while I can't attest to many Duke Law-specific questions other than what my friends there have said, I would be more than happy to answer any questions about the campus or Durham in general.

Congrats on the admits!

ltrego

Bronze

Post by ltrego » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:54 pm

I'm planning on visiting schools for ASD/ASW, but going a couple days early so I can also see them in their natural habitat. That way, I get the best of both worlds.

Workingtitle

New

Post by Workingtitle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Great, thanks for the responses everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”