. Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:56 pm

Last edited by kimkardashian on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aasterinian

New

Re: Is Notre Dame super religious?

Post by Aasterinian » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:59 pm

kimkardashian wrote:they forced students to go to mass frequently
ND Adcom wrote:Attending Mass is not mandatory for any student, regardless of religious affiliation.
See here:http://admissionschat.nd.edu/chats/14?page=7

It does look like all the dorms are same-sex, though.

kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Guess my friend was exaggerating a bit there, haha. Thank you for the info!

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:03 pm

I used to live there and have many friends that go/went there for UG and I can def tell you that they do not force any religion on you or make you attend mass. I was actually surprised to find out that alcohol is allowed in the UG dorms too.

kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Last edited by kimkardashian on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:09 pm

What is a "New Ivy?" Is that an actual thing? You know the Ivy League is a sports conference right?

I have never found Notre Dame to be super religious. Its law school is pretty solid. I wouldn't go there without a strong desire to work in the Midwest.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:23 pm

kimkardashian wrote:
90convoy wrote:I used to live there and have many friends that go/went there for UG and I can def tell you that they do not force any religion on you or make you attend mass. I was actually surprised to find out that alcohol is allowed in the UG dorms too.
Oh okay. But no opposite gender sleepovers? Like I couldn't have my boyfriend stay over for a night even if I signed him in and everything?
Are you planning on living in dorms as a grad student? Really?

nyanyanya

New

Post by nyanyanya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:46 pm

kimkardashian wrote:So I'm wondering if the law school is very religious, because my friend, who went there for undergrad, said that they forced students to go to mass frequently and didn't allow people of opposite genders to stay over in the dorms. Is the law school just as strict? How is the social life?
a link for on-campus housing for law students: http://law.nd.edu/student-life/housing/
Last edited by nyanyanya on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:03 pm

This thread is very strange. Grad students are completely different from undergrads, as they are in most places. No one will ever force you to do anything religious, I promise. Several of my friends at ND law are atheists, and they haven't had any problems. Unless you live in the undergrad dorms as an assistant rector you can have raging, alcohol-fueled orgies to your heart's content.

Some people at NDLS are religious, some people will pray before meals, there are crucifixes in the classrooms, you will pass a chapel in between the classroom building and the library. If you can't tolerate that much religion you need to grow up. It's a little right-wing as a campus/school, but there is a chapter of the ACLU, a very vocal left-wing student contingent etc. After 2 full years at NDLS religion has been brought up precisely once in my classes for a grand total of maybe 30 seconds.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Everyone here is trying to trick you into attending; all 1Ls are conscripted into an underground Opus Dei chapter and swear a blood oath of loyalty to the Pope. Refusal to do so results in imprisonment in the tunnels under Notre Dame Stadium by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:24 pm

A) Why would you live in the dorms as a law student?

B) Why would you actually be deterred by a policy against opposite gender sleepovers? Those are almost never enforced, and on the occasions when they are, it's because the couple in question was being super obvious/obnoxious. No one is going to deploy the campus police if dude stays past curfew.
kimkardashian wrote: Also, is Notre Dame a reputable law school? I see that it's ranked #22 with an LSAT range of 161-167, but I'm not planning on living on Indiana after I graduate. Any general info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
It's certainly reputable. Whether or not it's a good fit for you depends on your goals/finances/geographic preferences.

Edit: Jeeeeeezz...I need to look at post dates more clearly. Sorry for the necro.

kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Last edited by kimkardashian on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:55 pm

You can't listen to what anyone knows of its undergrad programs, and assume that has anything to do with its grad programs. Most of the Catholic schools are quite different in requirements and atmosphere, undergrad v. grad. Most non-theology grad programs will have students of many faiths, and will not have any religious content or requirements in terms of coursework.

This, based on my own experience in a grad program at a Catholic uni. The one thing I found refreshing about my own grad program was that someone could mention the word "God" seriously and feel it was completely acceptable to do so. Coming from a giant, liberal, public uni, I found that kind of refreshing. Otherwise, religion didn't come into it.

As for the housing situation - that varies from school to school. You can actually ask Notre Dame if they provide grad housing, what type of housing it is, and what their living rules are re: visitors and etc. At some religious-based schools, having someone of the opposite sex stay the night would be a major no-go. At others, it'd be winked at. At still others, it wouldn't even be against the rules. It varies by school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:07 pm

1. New Ivy? Seriously?
2. Not religious at all.

irish921

New

Post by irish921 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:26 pm

I just started as a 1L at ND, and I can tell you with certainty that the grad programs do not follow the undergrad vibe in the slightest. Undergrad does not force religion on you at all (except arguably parietals, which as mentioned before are only an issue if you are being stupid) and the grad programs are even more lax than that. I think two prayers were said at 1L orientation this year. That was the only mention of religion. \

Search and you will find threads about this. There are a lot.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Are you planning on living in dorms as a grad student? Really?
I don't know anything about ND but at some schools this is the norm (e.g. Michigan, Stanford, etc).

ETA: god damnit, stupid necro.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Visits”