Bad tour Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
lschhope111

New

Bad tour

Post by lschhope111 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:04 am

Has anyone here ever had a bad tour? I visited a law school that is my first choice and the girl that took me on the tour was one of the most unintelligent People I've ever met. I think the issue was that I just visited, the law school was finished for the summer and this girl had been hired by the school to work over her 2L summer presumably because she couldnt get a real job at a firm or with a judge. Anyway she really soured my taste for the school and I was wondering if any of you have had this experience as well?
Thanks

Balthy

Silver

Re: Bad tour

Post by Balthy » Mon May 20, 2013 6:29 am

I drove to Boston to see Harvard, but by the time I managed to navigate through the fucking tangled spaghetti they like to call their streets, I just hated the city too much to enjoy anything.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon May 20, 2013 7:33 am

lschhope111 wrote:Has anyone here ever had a bad tour? I visited a law school that is my first choice and the girl that took me on the tour was one of the most unintelligent People I've ever met. I think the issue was that I just visited, the law school was finished for the summer and this girl had been hired by the school to work over her 2L summer presumably because she couldnt get a real job at a firm or with a judge. Anyway she really soured my taste for the school and I was wondering if any of you have had this experience as well?
Thanks
You sound like a douche.

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:09 am

I had an awful tour at UChi. At one point, the girl giving the tour was asked. "Do you guys leave any time to take a breather and relax?" Her response was a cold, "you work very hard during your 1L year."

Needless to say, I ran for the hills. Or at least to my subsequent NU visit.

lschhope111

New

Post by lschhope111 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Icculus, I can see how it could come off that way. Apologies, however it is really disconcerting to have a girl give you a tour who does not know how many people go to the law school, what classes are required freshman year, or even where students live.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon May 20, 2013 3:28 pm

lschhope111 wrote:Icculus, I can see how it could come off that way. Apologies, however it is really disconcerting to have a girl give you a tour who does not know how many people go to the law school, what classes are required freshman year, or even where students live.
I lol'd

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue May 21, 2013 12:47 am

lschhope111 wrote:Icculus, I can see how it could come off that way. Apologies, however it is really disconcerting to have a girl give you a tour who does not know how many people go to the law school, what classes are required freshman year, or even where students live.
It was more the tone about her getting work since lack of job does not necessarily mean not smart.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:57 am

Generally the people giving the tours are fellow students who do not have enough time to learn facts that you could simply google.

You should ask them questions that only a student can answer like "whats student life like" etc.. not "how many people go to your law school."

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:25 pm

You sound like a massive tool. Nobody at that school will miss you if you don't go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:34 pm

I don't think you sound like a tool, but judging a school based off one tour guide seems shallow.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:43 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I don't think you sound like a tool, but judging a school based off one tour guide seems shallow.
I agree, but this raises the question, is there any value in taking an tour of a campus?

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:16 am

If you want to see the campus in person, meet students and faculty, and see other the overall environment, then yes.

If you want to ask very fact specific questions to an overwhelmed law student that could be easily ascertained through a simple google search, then no.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:28 am

I have a friend in her third year of medical school who uses the word "ironic" to mean "fortuitous" and she thinks Phantom of the Opera is a legitimate opera. I mean, she's an idiot, but I guess she probably knows something about medicine. I wouldn't judge her school for it, but I would never allow her to be my doctor.

Also, your complaints about this person make it sound like she's just uninformed, not stupid. And you have no idea why she doesn't have work this summer. So many people had internships with the federal government that fell through at the last moment with the sequester.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Devlin wrote:If you want to see the campus in person, meet students and faculty, and see other the overall environment, then yes.

If you want to ask very fact specific questions to an overwhelmed law student that could be easily ascertained through a simple google search, then no.
This.

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:43 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:I drove to Boston to see Harvard, but by the time I managed to navigate through the fucking tangled spaghetti they like to call their streets, I just hated the city too much to enjoy anything.
Yeah, that's how the schools in Boston screen their applicants. ;)

The good thing is that if you went to school in Boston, you woudn't have a car. You'd have to be insane to drive there.

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:08 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
I lol'd

I doubt any law student knows what classes are required freshman year.

Maybe English 101?

bbsg

Bronze

Post by bbsg » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:43 am

superdingle2000 wrote:I drove to Boston to see Harvard, but by the time I managed to navigate through the fucking tangled spaghetti they like to call their streets, I just hated the city too much to enjoy anything.
When I went to Boston for Harvard I was greeted by a locked down city and all the trappings of a 24/7 news cycle gone berserk. Given my fondness for Grand Theft Auto growing up, however, I found it interesting to see that "six stars" was possible in real life.

Also HLS handled the entire ordeal incredibly well, I think. So I can't really add to the main topic of the thread as far as law schools go. I went on a god-awful tour for undergrad, though, of a small school in an isolated city. My entire high school Psych class was forced by the teacher to take the four hour bus ride for the tour ("Guys, you should REALLY see what a university looks like since there isn't one in this town and the nearest one is four hours away!") The tour guides kept hating on the school during the tour and ended with "I sincerely, sincerely encourage you to not come here." That was interesting. I didn't end up attending there. Or applying for that matter. But a few people from my Psych class still went, presumably to remain close to home?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:13 am

lschhope111 wrote:Has anyone here ever had a bad tour? I visited a law school that is my first choice and the girl that took me on the tour was one of the most unintelligent People I've ever met. I think the issue was that I just visited, the law school was finished for the summer and this girl had been hired by the school to work over her 2L summer presumably because she couldnt get a real job at a firm or with a judge. Anyway she really soured my taste for the school and I was wondering if any of you have had this experience as well?
Thanks
1. Every law school has dumbasses
2. Dumbasses are often tour guides
3. You sound like you might be a good candidate for a tour guide position.

ThetaX

Bronze

Post by ThetaX » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 pm

First impressions can be very powerful, but you have to be both critical and open-minded. One tour will not tell you what the atmosphere and population of a school will entail.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:32 pm

cinephile wrote:I have a friend in her third year of medical school who uses the word "ironic" to mean "fortuitous" and she thinks Phantom of the Opera is a legitimate opera. I mean, she's an idiot, but I guess she probably knows something about medicine. I wouldn't judge her school for it, but I would never allow her to be my doctor.

Also, your complaints about this person make it sound like she's just uninformed, not stupid. And you have no idea why she doesn't have work this summer. So many people had internships with the federal government that fell through at the last moment with the sequester.
Hijack, cause this thread is no good.

Why not have a doctor who kind of sucks at the humanities? After all, most lawyers/law professors make a big shtick about how bad they are at math and science.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:34 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I don't think you sound like a tool, but judging a school based off one tour guide seems shallow.
Yeah I think tours are basically useless.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:34 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
cinephile wrote:I have a friend in her third year of medical school who uses the word "ironic" to mean "fortuitous" and she thinks Phantom of the Opera is a legitimate opera. I mean, she's an idiot, but I guess she probably knows something about medicine. I wouldn't judge her school for it, but I would never allow her to be my doctor.

Why not have a doctor who kind of sucks at the humanities? After all, most lawyers/law professors make a big shtick about how bad they are at math and science.
If you're not good at the humanities, that's fine. But if you think Phantom of the Opera is an actual opera, then you lack basic common sense.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:39 pm

cinephile wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:

If you're not good at the humanities, that's fine. But if you think Phantom of the Opera is an actual opera, then you lack basic common sense.

I don't know, even leaving out the large amount of foreign-born doctors, but I can definitely imagine how you can go a lifetime without giving two thoughts to musical theater/French (?) literature.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:44 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
cinephile wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:

I don't know, even leaving out the large amount of foreign-born doctors, but I can definitely imagine how you can go a lifetime without giving two thoughts to musical theater/French (?) literature.
I have to side with Semper on this one. Common sense would be more along the lines of her believing the Phantom of the Opera as a movie was actually a documentary.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Isn't Phantom technically an operetta? There's no spoken dialogue, only singing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”