Bad Impressions Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
benwyatt

Platinum

Re: Bad Impressions

Post by benwyatt » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:25 pm

curry1 wrote: Egregious [REDACTED] trolling.
Poor form to out a school that someone was specifically trying not to out.

ETA: especially since you could be wrong.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:45 pm

benwyatt wrote:
curious bobcat wrote:
Hildegard15 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Hildegard15 wrote:I won't name the law school
Could you name the school after the cycle? I mean you didn't even apply, right? Itd be interesting to know who it is.
Maybe. :) This school also ended up causing the massive compendium exodus and flurry of people deleting all their posts, so my bad impression actually ended up being indicative of the admissions staff.
Seconding lymenheimer. Would be interested in learning what caused the mass post deletion in the compendium.
You seem...curious.
http://mylsn.info/tls-post-deleter/

Specter1389

Bronze

Post by Specter1389 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:22 am

I won't say what school, but back in the Fall I was supposed to interview with an alumnus of a T-14 at their law firm. We were supposed to meet on a Saturday morning and I showed up about fifteen minutes early. Appointed time comes, the interviewer doesn't show. I tried calling his cell, no response. I tried calling his office, no response. After waiting about forty five minutes past when our interview was supposed to be, I finally sent him an e-mail and left. Received a response later that night with him apologizing and stating he lost track of time and we rescheduled. I certainly would not use this in deciding what law school to attend, but still left a bad impression. Worst part was I missed the playoffs for my kickball league to attend the interview (which I gladly did, just would have been nice to actually interview when I was supposed to.)

FuturePanhandler

Silver

Post by FuturePanhandler » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:36 am

AF_Falcon wrote:I won't say what school, but back in the Fall I was supposed to interview with an alumnus of a T-14 at their law firm. We were supposed to meet on a Saturday morning and I showed up about fifteen minutes early. Appointed time comes, the interviewer doesn't show. I tried calling his cell, no response. I tried calling his office, no response. After waiting about forty five minutes past when our interview was supposed to be, I finally sent him an e-mail and left. Received a response later that night with him apologizing and stating he lost track of time and we rescheduled. I certainly would not use this in deciding what law school to attend, but still left a bad impression. Worst part was I missed the playoffs for my kickball league to attend the interview (which I gladly did, just would have been nice to actually interview when I was supposed to.)
This should have zero bearing on your decision. It may give you a bad impression of that attorney, but should not give you any impression of the school at all.

Specter1389

Bronze

Post by Specter1389 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:43 am

FuturePanhandler wrote:
AF_Falcon wrote:I won't say what school, but back in the Fall I was supposed to interview with an alumnus of a T-14 at their law firm. We were supposed to meet on a Saturday morning and I showed up about fifteen minutes early. Appointed time comes, the interviewer doesn't show. I tried calling his cell, no response. I tried calling his office, no response. After waiting about forty five minutes past when our interview was supposed to be, I finally sent him an e-mail and left. Received a response later that night with him apologizing and stating he lost track of time and we rescheduled. I certainly would not use this in deciding what law school to attend, but still left a bad impression. Worst part was I missed the playoffs for my kickball league to attend the interview (which I gladly did, just would have been nice to actually interview when I was supposed to.)
This should have zero bearing on your decision. It may give you a bad impression of that attorney, but should not give you any impression of the school at all.
Agreed, which is why I even stated I would not use this experience in deciding what law school to attend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ewcooke

New

Post by ewcooke » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:14 am

lawandorder2019 wrote:George Mason started strong. They called me the week of Thanksgiving because they wanted me to be able to have some good news over my holiday break, which I thought was very nice of them. Then over the weekend, the dean texted me asking if we could chat. Already, I was apprehensive because I was like "what law school dean texts possible students??" But I texted back saying I couldn't talk that day but gave him some other options. He chose the day and said he would talk to me soon. The decided upon day comes and I receive no phone call. Another day passes and later that evening, like 9 or 10, I get a text from the dean apologizing and rescheduling. When he does call he doesn't know basic info about me, like when (if) I have graduated. Then he says he's going to shoot me an email about the admitted student days but tells me his "cheat sheet" doesn't have my email. Then he proceeds to say that GMU is great for being such a young law school and isn't as old as other law schools I may have applied to.

The whole ordeal left a bad taste in my mouth because instead of telling me about the school and its strengths, he just mentioned rankings and tried to bash other law schools.
I had a very different experience when talking to Dean Butler and thought it may help you in making your decision. I had to reschedule the initial call, however he called me back at the agreed upon time. In all fairness, calling 700 potential students and keeping all the information straight can not be an easy task. I mentioned I was considering another offer from Richmond Law and he spoke highly of them, however he earned his bachelors there. What was the other school you mentioned?

tt3

New

Post by tt3 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:42 pm

mewalke1 wrote:I didn't find this topic anywhere else so I thought I would post it......

I want to hear about bad impressions! Bad impressions from schools you may have been considering but because of a bad impression immediately reconsidered the school. It could include phone calls, Admit days, emails, open houses etc

Ill start with a good one.

I emailed a school in California (that Im admitted to) about a tour and got a automatic reply about the waitlist and rolling admissions and "please be assured" that we have added this information to your file. Well Im an admitted student and its not like I barely got in either. The best part was that in the heading it read "automatic reply ***SPAM***"

As soon as I saw the email I was like Whoa! Bad Impression!

That and I left a message about 2 weeks ago and they never called me back.

Good job guys.
To be fair, schools have to deal with a lot of e-mail requests, so it makes sense to have an auto reply feature.

Jrr13

New

Post by Jrr13 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:41 pm

Loyola called me early in the morning one day to ask me about my cycle and try to pursuade me to apply. I've had a few professors/admissions reps call me from other schools, and they usually seem honest, friendly, and chatty. The Loyola rep reminded me of the times I have to call Comcast and they transfer to a random person in another country that sounds dead and doesn't know what they're doing.

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Two bad impressions:

1. Dozens of e-mails from Golden Gate University claiming that they are a national leader in all sorts of things.

2. Liberty University tried to solicit me over the phone. Pretty pathetic if you as me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pterodactyls

Silver

Post by pterodactyls » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:28 pm

Harry_Pluxen wrote:
1. Dozens of e-mails from Golden Gate University claiming that they are a national leader in all sorts of things.
GGU: A National Leader in [whatever you listed as your area of interest on LSAC].

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:19 pm

pterodactyls wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:
GGU: A National Leader in [whatever you listed as your area of interest on LSAC].
Yeah. Those e-mails are pathetic, yet entertaining to read.

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:12 am

Brandeis CC'ing me and hundreds of other potential applicants in a mass recruiting email rather than using BCC. Brutally dumb mistake, really pissed me off

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:48 am

I'm still getting emails from law school ~3/4 of the way through 1L

In fact, I will name names. In the month of Feb, on this, my second semester in law school:

Penn State
Miami
Indiana Tech
Loyala

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kaybay

New

Post by Kaybay » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:48 pm

KiltedKicker wrote:Brandeis CC'ing me and hundreds of other potential applicants in a mass recruiting email rather than using BCC. Brutally dumb mistake, really pissed me off
Ha, I thought I recognized you! I got that email too. I was also accepted into a school I hadn't applied to, for about 6 hours. Awkward...

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:01 pm

Kaybay wrote:
KiltedKicker wrote:Brandeis CC'ing me and hundreds of other potential applicants in a mass recruiting email rather than using BCC. Brutally dumb mistake, really pissed me off
Ha, I thought I recognized you! I got that email too. I was also accepted into a school I hadn't applied to, for about 6 hours. Awkward...
Which one?

Kaybay

New

Post by Kaybay » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:03 pm

Applesauce11 wrote:
Kaybay wrote:
Which one?

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/01/law-scho ... n-applied/

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:26 pm

anyone know how to get Liberty University to stop calling me? Currently, my plan is to tell them I'm an Atheist with the hopes that will scare them off.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dexter97

Bronze

Post by Dexter97 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:28 pm

fliptrip wrote:anyone know how to get Liberty University to stop calling me? Currently, my plan is to tell them I'm an Atheist with the hopes that will scare them off.
Same problem!! I had to put them in my contacts to know not to pickup because theyre calling all the time. :roll:

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:37 pm

I just don't know what a phone solicitation for law school would look like:

LU: Hi, fliptrip, I think you should really consider liberty!

FT: Really? Well, I have been admitted to UVA and Stanford. Why would I attend Liberty over those well-known schools?

LU: We're right-wing and super religious!!!

FT: Oh really? I'm a liberal Atheist.

LU: [does the conversation end here? how does it end? how awkward can this get?]

herecomesthesun

Bronze

Post by herecomesthesun » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:55 pm

fliptrip wrote:I just don't know what a phone solicitation for law school would look like:

FT: Really? Well, I have been admitted to UVA and Stanford. Why would I attend Liberty over those well-known schools?

LU: [does the conversation end here? how does it end? how awkward can this get?]
I know someone who did that and went off on them about the religious/moral beliefs of Jerry Falwell

spauldingno

New

Post by spauldingno » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:00 pm

fliptrip wrote:I just don't know what a phone solicitation for law school would look like:

In seriousness: I told them that I had already finalized my list of schools I would apply to. They asked if they can leave the website address with me and I humored them and that was the last time they called.

I think you should discuss how you eat tofu while worshipping Satan and researching stem cells and report back to us on how it went :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:04 pm

spauldingno wrote:

In seriousness: I told them that I had already finalized my list of schools I would apply to. They asked if they can leave the website address with me and I humored them and that was the last time they called.

I think you should discuss how you eat tofu while worshipping Satan and researching stem cells and report back to us on how it went :D
I'll add that I have to take another call from Planned Parenthood to finalize my aborted fetus purchase. I actually feel bad for the admissions folks at these sorts of schools. That's not an admissions job in any real sense--that's sales through and through.

spauldingno

New

Post by spauldingno » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:11 pm

fliptrip wrote:
spauldingno wrote:

I'll add that I have to take another call from Planned Parenthood to finalize my aborted fetus purchase. I actually feel bad for the admissions folks at these sorts of schools. That's not an admissions job in any real sense--that's sales through and through.
Yeah- I agree, that's why I took the more polite approach rather than saying "your legal education and your morals are a joke."
Would have fun to troll the trolls though...

lujk

New

Post by lujk » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:37 pm

El Principe wrote:Nothing strikingly outrageous from these schools, but two of the things that have pissed me off from this cycle are my "back-up" schools:

1. not issuing fee waivers to apply

and

a) application still pending/held after much earlier acceptances by much higher ranked schools
or
b) being accepted, but receiving troll scholarship offers, if any at all from those lower ranked schools.

I can't think of any legitimate reason I should have the same COA (after scholarships) from LSU and Vanderbilt. You can call it entitled or whatever.
I think it's just that LSU is basically out of money after Jindal. Some of its schools may even have to stop classes before the end of the semester (not the medical or law schools though).

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:11 pm

That is almost exactly how our conversation went. Except I actually said "First, how did you get this number? This is a work number that should not have been shared as I did not give permission for it to be distributed. Second, I have absolutely no interest in attending a religious Christian program. Please remove me from your list."

I am just stunned that they thought a Jew who lives in San Francisco was worth calling repeatedly. If they had my work number they certainly should have had my demographic information. What is that thought process like? "Wow this person has no ties to VA, has unsubscribed to our mailings and doesn't really identify with our slogan 'Training Champions for Christ since 1971. Let's pay someone minimum wage to call them repeatedly."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”