Bad Impressions Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
The Dark Kite

Bronze

Re: Bad Impressions

Post by The Dark Kite » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:41 pm

North wrote: An AdComm speaking honestly and realistically about what a giant risk law school is?

That is NOT the kind of behavior we want to reinforce.
patogordo wrote: Now he'll go to GW at sticker. That'll show 'em.
Although I'm always happy to be the butt end of TLS snark, perhaps I didn't explain correctly... but to revisit RC for a moment, I conceded that it was quite refreshing that an adcomm would be so forward.. but imagine having a discussion with an administrator at a school you're interested in attending who is essentially focusing on the negatives of attending law school and not saying anything UNC-specific. It's not just counter intuitive but for me it left a... bad impression? Hence my.. writing about it in a thread entitled... bad impressions? Hmm..

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Optimist Prime

Bronze

Post by Optimist Prime » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:40 am

-
Last edited by Optimist Prime on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:58 am

I had a professor call me from a school I had been accepted to who began using street slang and twice called me, "dog."

As a URM I found this pretty offensive, since I suspect they had him call me and speak to me that way to try and "relate" to us ghetto, street slang slangin' URMs.

I withdrew my application the following day.

Though I will say, despite the insulting nature of the call, that it was so damn ridiculous it was funny.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:01 pm

Also, I was denied from one of my top choices. That left me with a bad impression as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Enjoyable thread. But just wait until you start applying/interviewing for jobs. More hilarity, but tinged with desperation because at the time you are unemployed

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Nucky wrote:I had a professor call me from a school I had been accepted to who began using street slang and twice called me, "dog."

As a URM I found this pretty offensive, since I suspect they had him call me and speak to me that way to try and "relate" to us ghetto, street slang slangin' URMs.

Though I will say, despite the insulting nature of the call, that it was so damn ridiculous it was funny.
That's hilarious. I pictured pond cummings as I read this.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:29 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
Nucky wrote:I had a professor call me from a school I had been accepted to who began using street slang and twice called me, "dog."

Yeah, my first though after hanging up was, "what the hell was that? Is this real life?" :lol:

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:39 pm

It wasn't a deciding factor but.....

TTU held a prospective students thing in downtown Dallas. I tried to validate my parking on the way out only to learn that TTU elected to not pay for their guests's parking when reserving the venue. $12 down the drain. Also at the event: a tipsy admissions officer complaining about having to "grind through" a large stack applications when she gets back to Lubbock (after I told her I hadn't received a decision).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:48 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:It wasn't a deciding factor but.....

TTU held a prospective students thing in downtown Dallas. I tried to validate my parking on the way out only to learn that TTU elected to not pay for their guests's parking when reserving the venue. $12 down the drain. Also at the event: a tipsy admissions officer complaining about having to "grind through" a large stack applications when she gets back to Lubbock (after I told her I hadn't received a decision).
Stay classy, TTTTU.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:43 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:

Lol was gonna ask if you applied to Indiana Tech

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:59 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:How nice or mean an admissions person is shouldn't have any effect on your decision-making process. These are people you will probably never talk to again, even if you attend that school. While it's arguable that having an incompetent admissions office should reflect poorly on a school, you have better data to base your decision on about how competent the law school is overall: their employment placement numbers.
I agree with this. It would certainly be a shame to write off an otherwise good school simply because the person who answers the phone might have been having a shitty day and let his/her frustration slip a bit. Not saying that will always be the case, but it would be a shame if it was.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:11 am

I agree that this is hilarious. I can see how it would be offensive, but it's almost in the "too stupid to actually offend" territory ...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kevinlomax

Bronze

Post by Kevinlomax » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:42 pm

hahaha i wish this happened to me

Kevinlomax

Bronze

Post by Kevinlomax » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:44 pm

but was she hot?

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:02 am

Kevinlomax wrote:

but was she hot?

Yea was she hot?

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:22 am

Crowing wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:

Lol was gonna ask if you applied to Indiana Tech

Didn't know there was such a thing as Indiana Tech Law until now. Lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lnh819

Bronze

Post by lnh819 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:15 pm

I promise that your impression of TTU was completely inaccurate! I've gotten a lot of my experience there so far and have many positive things to say about the school. Please don't discount it because of one mildly unfortunate encounter!

Also, please tell Dean Perez (he's on these boards) about your experience. If someone in his department isn't acting their best, he needs to know.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Nucky wrote:Also, I was denied from one of my top choices. That left me with a bad impression as well.
+1.

Furthermore, I HATE website typos.

jkwo07

New

Post by jkwo07 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:37 pm

toothbrush wrote:
mewalke1 wrote:
As soon as I saw the email I was like Whoa! Bad Impression!
this made me lol
Me too

firedust

New

Post by firedust » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:41 am

U of Washington Admissions seems to have a poor grasp of grammar. My acceptance letter from the dean used the word "yourself" incorrectly; additionally, the welcome email from a 1L student contained a comma splice. :shock:

NOT impressed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

girlrunning

New

Post by girlrunning » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:45 pm

At the UCLA Diversity pre-ASW weekend event, I had a hard time talking with many students about my interest in law school because I did not want to do public interest (felt like everyone was a PILPer and doing CRS) and particularly for not wanting to CRS it up. TONS of Teach for America kids as well. (Disclaimer: I appreciate the CRS program, but none of the concentrations seemed to fit my pursuits.) Everyone was still very nice to me, it was more of a "fitting in" with the crowd issue.

Bad impression: A certain "CRS famous" prof. asked me where I was from and proceeded to tell me how much her family hated [city where I am from] because of [slightly insulting reasons]. It was a hot mess.

The rest of the faculty, students, and alumni were wonderful. It was just not a good fit and it kind of stinks I found out after I was a bit enamored with the school.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:11 pm

firedust wrote:additionally, the welcome email from a 1L student contained a comma splice. :shock:

NOT impressed.
I sincerely hope we won't attend the same school.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:31 am

Nothing strikingly outrageous from these schools, but two of the things that have pissed me off from this cycle are my "back-up" schools:

1. not issuing fee waivers to apply

and

a) application still pending/held after much earlier acceptances by much higher ranked schools
or
b) being accepted, but receiving troll scholarship offers, if any at all from those lower ranked schools.

I can't think of any legitimate reason I should have the same COA (after scholarships) from LSU and Vanderbilt. You can call it entitled or whatever.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:40 am

Also, I'm disappointed in UofH's "package." A simple letter and email. Cool. I didn't expect the NYU or Vandy treatment, but c'mon. No pamphlets, no info, no calls, no more emails, no scholarship info?

In a vacuum, maybe having applicants objectively decide to attend UH w/o influence isn't such a bad thing, but honestly, how could I feel comfortable even entertaining the idea when I don't feel wanted?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”