Bad Impressions Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Troianii

Silver

Re: Bad Impressions

Post by Troianii » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:32 pm

fliptrip wrote:anyone know how to get Liberty University to stop calling me? Currently, my plan is to tell them I'm an Atheist with the hopes that will scare them off.
I got a call from them. I acted like I was interested and asked about their job figures, why more than a quarter of their grads don't even find jobs (while only half get legal jobs), and they didn't really have an answer, but that's the last I heard from them.

sidenote: I know I'm really breaking with the pack here, but I don't like liberty. :lol: I mean really, I actually think it is good that a law school exists for people with certain interests and backgrounds. I went to a Christian undergrad, but it's nominally Christian, and they don't place any rules on anyone. Liberty actually has some ethics code that is purely religious that they force on anyone attending. And I could kind of forgive it if they weren't about making money. BYU charges LDS members about 10k, if Liberty was serious about their faith and not just using it as a draw, then they wouldn't be charging students 32k for TTT.

toomanymornings

New

Post by toomanymornings » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:35 am

KiltedKicker wrote:Brandeis CC'ing me and hundreds of other potential applicants in a mass recruiting email rather than using BCC. Brutally dumb mistake, really pissed me off
Huh? Brandeis has a law school?

Tycho

Bronze

Post by Tycho » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:04 pm

toomanymornings wrote:
KiltedKicker wrote:Brandeis CC'ing me and hundreds of other potential applicants in a mass recruiting email rather than using BCC. Brutally dumb mistake, really pissed me off
Huh? Brandeis has a law school?
Nah, Brandeis is the University of Louisville's law school.

toomanymornings

New

Post by toomanymornings » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:19 pm

ah, gotcha.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:26 pm

Well the U. of Montana just wrote to wish me good luck on the February LSAT, which I thought was odd considering it's March and I didn't register for the February LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

somethingElse

Gold

Post by somethingElse » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:03 pm

fliptrip wrote:Well the U. of Montana just wrote to wish me good luck on the February LSAT, which I thought was odd considering it's March and I didn't register for the February LSAT.
Was thinking about posting this, lol - got the same email.

Animosity

New

Post by Animosity » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:10 pm

I got the same email. They probably meant next year's February LSAT.

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Animosity wrote:I got the same email. They probably meant next year's February LSAT.
Or they just fucked up. lol.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:44 pm

penn19 wrote:
Animosity wrote:I got the same email. They probably meant next year's February LSAT.
+1.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Animosity

New

Post by Animosity » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:54 pm

fliptrip wrote:
penn19 wrote:
+1.

I forgot the /s.

lemonparty

Silver

Post by lemonparty » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:00 pm

I won't say the school, but I was sitting in on a class and the prof spent about the first 20 min shitting on other schools he's taught at. The class itself was awesome, but it put a bad taste in my mouth. Wish he spent more time talking about why his current school is great instead

Yewigmo

New

Post by Yewigmo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:26 am

There was a certain T20 school that I interviewed with and at first everything went fine. It wasn't until the last question where I found the interviewer to be very critical and almost ill-informed about a certain subject matter. I've trained to sing opera with some well known and respected singing teachers for years, and I put that I have trained to sing opera on my resume. I was asked about what operas I have been in, I told him I hadn't been in any, he retorted with "so, you lied?" I was stunned and I couldn't believe he said that. I told him no, that I've trained to sing professional opera (which I have since sophomore year in high school). Opera is an art form and you don't have to perform in actual operas to train professionally. He went on to ask me what my favorite opera was, which I answered, and then I also stated that "Ach Ich Fuhl's" was my favorite opera aria to sing. I don't think he really cared to listen. I still can't believe how unprofessional this was, instead of accusing me of lying (if he really thought I was), why not ask me to just sing an opera aria right there in front of him? Why not ask me the names of my past and present teachers? Why just outwardly accuse me of lying like that?

I've never been accused of lying like that, and no, under no circumstance did I lie, and I didn't appreciate being accused of lying. I found this admissions counselor to be very pretentious, and frankly, unprofessional. It really turned me off from the school. At the end of the day, it was a blessing in disguise because I found a different law school that was a better fit for me.
Last edited by Yewigmo on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

whitleygilbertwayne

New

Post by whitleygilbertwayne » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 am

a few months ago, Wake Forest Univeristy sent me an email encouraging me to apply.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

James.K.Polk

Silver

Post by James.K.Polk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:38 am

Had the worst impression from WUSTL law, now that I think on it. Can provide further details via PM. Basically a prof who would theoretically be my program advisor absolutely shit on WUSTL Law, told me the law school was not the caliber of the undergrad (where I went!), told me even George Mason was better and, after hearing my scholarship, told me, "they ought to give you more. Don't go here without more."

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:37 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:Had the worst impression from WUSTL law, now that I think on it. Can provide further details via PM. Basically a prof who would theoretically be my program advisor absolutely shit on WUSTL Law, told me the law school was not the caliber of the undergrad (where I went!), told me even George Mason was better and, after hearing my scholarship, told me, "they ought to give you more. Don't go here without more."
Aside from the George Mason bit this sounds like honest and probably good advice

TheDapperDruid

New

Post by TheDapperDruid » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:56 am

I received an email from Golden Gate University that I found so ironic that I had to screen shot it so that it wouldn't be lost in the flux of emails.

The subject of the email read "WHY srudy law here," and I asked myself that same question... :lol:

Acordeon

New

Post by Acordeon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:29 am

James.K.Polk wrote:Had the worst impression from WUSTL law, now that I think on it. Can provide further details via PM. Basically a prof who would theoretically be my program advisor absolutely shit on WUSTL Law, told me the law school was not the caliber of the undergrad (where I went!), told me even George Mason was better and, after hearing my scholarship, told me, "they ought to give you more. Don't go here without more."
I also had a WUSTL Law prof tell me not to go there (I went there for undergrad and love STL, and obviously WUSTL Law gives huge scholarships to almost everyone). I don't think that's an uncommon viewpoint even among the professors there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

okfreeb

New

Post by okfreeb » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:18 pm

Last edited by okfreeb on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:28 pm

okfreeb wrote:
Acordeon wrote:
I also had a WUSTL Law prof tell me not to go there (I went there for undergrad and love STL, and obviously WUSTL Law gives huge scholarships to almost everyone). I don't think that's an uncommon viewpoint even among the professors there.
So, I will say that this didn't give me a bad impression of the school at all, but I also had a WUSTL prof tell me not to attend unless they offered me serious money.
tbh, that seems like solid advice that could apply to most students and law schools. Hundreds of thousands of debt is probably an outcome most people would be wise to avoid.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Thought about this thread this weekend when this happened to me.

Was invited to a Baylor Law School luncheon this past weekend. I RSVP'd and was told I would receive a reminder email later in the week, though the email never came. I arrived at the restaurant who seemed confused when I told them what I was there for, but a manager came over and said the restaurant was expecting us and that we were to be seated at a table for four. After thirty minutes of nobody showing up past the scheduled start time (not even the admission representative), no email, and no phone call, I decided to leave. The restaurant didn't know where they were either. Did they forget that people RSVP'd for this location? Was I stood up?

Needless to say I will not be attending Baylor - I was already really not planning to, but figured maybe they could sell it to me and of course the free food.

CJRpnw

Bronze

Post by CJRpnw » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:44 pm

poptart123 wrote:Thought about this thread this weekend when this happened to me.

Was invited to a Baylor Law School luncheon this past weekend. I RSVP'd and was told I would receive a reminder email later in the week, though the email never came. I arrived at the restaurant who seemed confused when I told them what I was there for, but a manager came over and said the restaurant was expecting us and that we were to be seated at a table for four. After thirty minutes of nobody showing up past the scheduled start time (not even the admission representative), no email, and no phone call, I decided to leave. The restaurant didn't know where they were either. Did they forget that people RSVP'd for this location? Was I stood up?

Needless to say I will not be attending Baylor - I was already really not planning to, but figured maybe they could sell it to me and of course the free food.
Whoa, that's super weird.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:52 pm

UVA's YUGE seat deposit left a bad impression on me. Does that count?

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Iam3hunna wrote:UVA's YUGE seat deposit left a bad impression on me. Does that count?
That depends, how YUUUUUUUUGEE was it?

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:00 pm

kwabedi wrote:
Iam3hunna wrote:UVA's YUGE seat deposit left a bad impression on me. Does that count?
That depends, how YUUUUUUUUGEE was it?
About $1,000 Yuge

Purplepen

New

Post by Purplepen » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:28 pm

Still waiting to hear from NYU (to get a ding or wl obviously), so I visited Fordham because they offered a good sum of money and it's more home city. I attended a tour because I lhave been accepted to better schools, so asd there is s lower priority for work days off than other schools. If the tour guide never opened her mouth, I would have probably been very impressed by the just how pretty the building was, but oh freakin lord I withdrew immediately after that tour. Never have I met such an unprofessional, pessimistic, uninformed individual throughout this entire process. Every answer to every question was 'idk why don't you ask someone else.' Like you're a 3L, what the heck have you been doing for three years that you can't answer a single question about the school? Furthermore, when asked about 'anecdotal job prospects in the market' here, she basically said if she got into any better school in any region she would have gone there instead. What a nightmare, gladly declining my scholarship.

As a side note, I also didn't really like WashU when I visited, but I can't quite put a finger on why, something rubbed me the wrong way. they didn't give me enough money to hold my interest.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”