Bad Impressions Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
mewalke1

Bronze

Bad Impressions

Post by mewalke1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:54 am

I didn't find this topic anywhere else so I thought I would post it......

I want to hear about bad impressions! Bad impressions from schools you may have been considering but because of a bad impression immediately reconsidered the school. It could include phone calls, Admit days, emails, open houses etc

Ill start with a good one.

I emailed a school in California (that Im admitted to) about a tour and got a automatic reply about the waitlist and rolling admissions and "please be assured" that we have added this information to your file. Well Im an admitted student and its not like I barely got in either. The best part was that in the heading it read "automatic reply ***SPAM***"

As soon as I saw the email I was like Whoa! Bad Impression!

That and I left a message about 2 weeks ago and they never called me back.

Good job guys.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Re: Bad Impressions

Post by bsktbll28082 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Emory- I called admissions and whoever answered just wasn't helpful. Didn't want to work with me. I was planning on driving 10+ hrs to visit their school and they said no one could meet with me.

Shame because I liked the school on paper. Granted, when I called again, the guy who answered was nice.

1Mwaiting2016

New

Post by 1Mwaiting2016 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:27 am

University of Baltimore

I almost went there last cycle. Worst place in the world. Dirty old building and lockers. Rude people in admissions. They still e-mail me from time to time, almost a year later asking me to join 1L clubs.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:35 pm

I got stung by a bee at NYU I guess....

Edit: It was a wasp and I will find it and crush it. This is far from over.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:40 pm

How nice or mean an admissions person is shouldn't have any effect on your decision-making process. These are people you will probably never talk to again, even if you attend that school. While it's arguable that having an incompetent admissions office should reflect poorly on a school, you have better data to base your decision on about how competent the law school is overall: their employment placement numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:56 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:How nice or mean an admissions person is shouldn't have any effect on your decision-making process. These are people you will probably never talk to again, even if you attend that school. While it's arguable that having an incompetent admissions office should reflect poorly on a school, you have better data to base your decision on about how competent the law school is overall: their employment placement numbers.

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:41 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:How nice or mean an admissions person is shouldn't have any effect on your decision-making process. These are people you will probably never talk to again, even if you attend that school. While it's arguable that having an incompetent admissions office should reflect poorly on a school, you have better data to base your decision on about how competent the law school is overall: their employment placement numbers.

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:48 pm

GULC. One of their financial aid workers gave me a very rude phone call in response to a financial aid inquiry... their tone was just snotty and disrespectful. I'll likely be withdrawing my app this week (not just because of the phone call).
Ah c'mon, this is a fun topic.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/imag ... yaAjtcgGP7

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:07 pm

I got a very negative impression of Santa Clara. SCU touts their IP placement, as they are in the heart of Silicon Valley, but when I went to one of their receptions, it seemed as though nearly all of the people who said they were going there were software engineers that were already employed, and being sent by their companies to acquire legal training so they could work in-house.

It bugged me, so a couple days later, I called career services to ask about their IP placement. They told me that the background of IP students shouldn't be a factor when considering SCU, and that I should focus instead on my own background, and the school that could best place me with that background. So I'm taking that as a yes.

I also felt, in my interactions with SCU, that they were fairly rude, and didn't give me the same quality of attention as USF or Hastings

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 pm

When I visited the UNC campus and asked about student life and clinics, the tour guides were really weird about both. They were like "well, I think people might hang out outside of class?" and then I think they were both pissed about their clinics. One actually said "no, you have no chance of getting the clinic you actually want."

I was kind of like ummm okay. Then I later got a phone call from a professor at the school that really talked the school up to me and put it back on my list. but that was just a weird experience.

Throttle

New

Post by Throttle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 am

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:When I visited the UNC campus and asked about student life and clinics, the tour guides were really weird about both. They were like "well, I think people might hang out outside of class?" and then I think they were both pissed about their clinics. One actually said "no, you have no chance of getting the clinic you actually want."

I was kind of like ummm okay. Then I later got a phone call from a professor at the school that really talked the school up to me and put it back on my list. but that was just a weird experience.

Why would a call from a professor who has nothing at stake, and who could possibly be out of tune when it comes to students, change you mind about the school? You got great info from insiders. They basically told you that people are aspie and you wont get the best clinics. Unless UNC is your best option i would just take them off your list.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:40 am

mewalke1 wrote:
As soon as I saw the email I was like Whoa! Bad Impression!
this made me lol

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Throttle wrote:
lawschoolwoohoo wrote:When I visited the UNC campus and asked about student life and clinics, the tour guides were really weird about both. They were like "well, I think people might hang out outside of class?" and then I think they were both pissed about their clinics. One actually said "no, you have no chance of getting the clinic you actually want."

Why would a call from a professor who has nothing at stake, and who could possibly be out of tune when it comes to students, change you mind about the school? You got great info from insiders. They basically told you that people are aspie and you wont get the best clinics. Unless UNC is your best option i would just take them off your list.
I have some shocking news for you, but a good chunk of law school students fit into the aspie category. As for clinics: for PI stuff clinics can be important, but for a lot of students clinics don't matter that much. Deciding not to attend a school based on either of these reasons seems just as dumb as favoring a school because a nice professor talked to you on the phone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Throttle wrote:

Those were just a few experiences I had with the school--niether dictated my choice in the end but I just thought they were interesting experiences and the visit fit into the "bad impressions" category. I ended up depositing at a better-ranked school with more $$ because it had better jobs placement and would leave me in much less debt.

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:46 am

aspie?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 am

mewalke1 wrote:aspie?
Socially retarded

(Aspergers)

raekaya

New

Post by raekaya » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 am

One school's e-mails had multiple typos. Another sent me an invitation to their student portal before they sent an official acceptance e-mail/phone call/letter leaving me very confused. Beyond that, all the staff I interacted with were very nice and "bad impressions" were more that I wasn't as wowed as I was by other schools. I think some just set the bar very high with e-mails from current students, good tours, letters with lots of information, etc...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:48 pm

I had a GULC alumni interview where the dude spent most of it telling me that my UG coursework hadn't prepared me for the RIGOR of Georgetown Law. Lol. Drove four hours both ways for that shit. 100% turned me off to GULC.

paul554

New

Post by paul554 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:16 am

I had an admissions staff at Baylor promise me that their yellow ribbon program would definetly be in place so I didn't need to worry that my scholly fell 15K short of covering tuiton. Their whole attitude and demeanor seemed rude, like how dare I question their wisdom and guidance. It was on of the many bad vibes the school gave off so I decided against them. Sure enough 2 months later (after the seat deposit deadline of course) they very subtly announce that their not doing the yellow ribbon for any new students.
If I feel I can't trust a school and their staff I won't attend because who knows how much it might end up costing me one way or another in the end.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Fri May 03, 2013 7:12 pm

North wrote:I had a GULC alumni interview where the dude spent most of it telling me that my UG coursework hadn't prepared me for the RIGOR of Georgetown Law. Lol. Drove four hours both ways for that shit. 100% turned me off to GULC.
tbf though, nothing can really prepare someone for the amount of work during 1L at any law school.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri May 03, 2013 8:18 pm

North wrote:I had a GULC alumni interview where the dude spent most of it telling me that my UG coursework hadn't prepared me for the RIGOR of Georgetown Law. Lol. Drove four hours both ways for that shit. 100% turned me off to GULC.
you sound soft dude. LOL at having your feelings hurt by an alumni. i love this ridiculous sense of indignation that 0Ls have, awww he hurt my feelings, awww this admissions office took too long making their decision. can't wait to see you all have your souls crushed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Fri May 03, 2013 8:26 pm

stillwater wrote:
you sound soft dude. LOL at having your feelings hurt by an alumni. i love this ridiculous sense of indignation that 0Ls have, awww he hurt my feelings, awww this admissions office took too long making their decision. can't wait to see you all have your souls crushed.

:twisted:

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:37 pm

stillwater wrote:
Oh, look at that, another TLS douchebag. Sorry life didn't work out how you expected and you need to take it out on an internet forum against 0Ls you believe you have some superiority over. All I can do is laugh at losers like you.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Oh, look at that, another TLS douchebag. Sorry life didn't work out how you expected and you need to take it out on an internet forum against 0Ls you believe you have some superiority over. All I can do is laugh at losers like you.
oh, I am killing it. I am not bitter about law school. I just think it's ridiculous and, gasp, unprofessional to have feelings about things that are just business.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Fri May 03, 2013 9:04 pm

jimmy, you should listen to stillwater.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”