Bad Impressions Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
raekaya

New

Re: Bad Impressions

Post by raekaya » Fri May 03, 2013 9:48 pm

I can understand where West is coming from. Isn't an interview is supposed to be a time for students to sell themselves to a school and vice versa? An alumnus should be getting to know the student to see if he is a good fit while answering his questions. They should be honest but also put their alma mater in a good light so that students will want to go there. We all know how difficult EVERY law school is and we don't need it emphasized at a time when we are trying to learn more about specifics.
stillwater wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
North wrote:I had a GULC alumni interview where the dude spent most of it telling me that my UG coursework hadn't prepared me for the RIGOR of Georgetown Law. Lol. Drove four hours both ways for that shit. 100% turned me off to GULC.
you sound soft dude. LOL at having your feelings hurt by an alumni. i love this ridiculous sense of indignation that 0Ls have, awww he hurt my feelings, awww this admissions office took too long making their decision. can't wait to see you all have your souls crushed.
Oh, look at that, another TLS douchebag. Sorry life didn't work out how you expected and you need to take it out on an internet forum against 0Ls you believe you have some superiority over. All I can do is laugh at losers like you.
oh, I am killing it. I am not bitter about law school. I just think it's ridiculous and, gasp, unprofessional to have feelings about things that are just business.

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:02 pm

stillwater wrote:
North wrote:I had a GULC alumni interview where the dude spent most of it telling me that my UG coursework hadn't prepared me for the RIGOR of Georgetown Law. Lol. Drove four hours both ways for that shit. 100% turned me off to GULC.
you sound soft dude. LOL at having your feelings hurt by an alumni. i love this ridiculous sense of indignation that 0Ls have, awww he hurt my feelings, awww this admissions office took too long making their decision. can't wait to see you all have your souls crushed.
Geeeeeez chill out dude.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat May 04, 2013 2:01 am

stillwater wrote:
Fucking lol, just lol at this HARDENED BY LAW SCHOOL schtick. Lol, lol.

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:16 am

My worst experience by far was during an on-campus interview. One of the students they had set me up to talk to spent a good half of our time together telling me about how terrific he is. He made sure I knew that he took the LSAT on a whim and still scored so high as to make him one of only a few black males in the country with his scores and that he knew he would have gotten in pretty much anywhere he wanted, so he was sure his current school was lucky to have him. Then he told me about how outraged he was that his school wasn't promoting his success more. I tried more than once to get him to stop talking and turn to a different topic, but he would not be swayed. As we parted he tried to joke, "I hope I haven't scared you!".

I was definitely scared, scared that the whole school was filled with people like him. Thankfully, I got to meet some other folks that day who were nothing like him, so no harm, no foul.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat May 04, 2013 11:17 am

North wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Fucking lol, just lol at this HARDENED BY LAW SCHOOL schtick. Lol, lol.
LOL at being butthurt bc an alumni hurt your feelings.

- guy with a reasonable outlook on life, not "hardened by law school"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Mon May 06, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat May 04, 2013 12:18 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
LOL at being butthurt bc an alumni hurt your feelings.

- guy with a reasonable outlook on life, not "hardened by law school"
^ Guy who obviously has serious emotional and/or psychological disorder(s) as he feels the need to troll a forum titled "Bad Impressions" and despite knowing full well what this thread is about needs to attack other people to somehow validate himself. If you don't like the topic gtfo and stfu. Take your shit to the lounge.
pretty sure what I am saying is on-topic, bro.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Mon May 06, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:25 pm

So it isn't unprofessional to be rude to someone during an interview, but it is unprofessional to be upset by the person's rudeness?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Sun May 05, 2013 5:35 pm

I actually had a super weird interview with GULC too. The woman alumnus I spoke with seemed to have hated her time there. I tried to play it off but she was like "no. It's really intense. Everyone is an asshole. It will get to you." So that was a little uncomfortable. Didn't completely turn me off of the school, but just an odd experience.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Tue May 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Barry Law will not stop e-mailing no matter how many times I report it as spam or how late in the cycle it gets.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 22, 2013 6:09 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:Barry Law will not stop e-mailing no matter how many times I report it as spam or how late in the cycle it gets.
I'm pretty sure they do admissions year round. You could apply August 15th and get in for the fall semester.

poichi

Bronze

Post by poichi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:57 pm

I was turned off Minnesota when 95% of their current students (who had presumably volunteered to be present at the ASW) were dicks who acted like they were only there because they lost a bet with the dean.

There were one or two cool people but the rest seemed like they absorbed the asshole component of Minnesota Nice and discarded the rest (this coming from someone who has been a Minnesotan for a few years now, so I know the contradictions in MN "Nice"). I couldn't believe that UMN was endorsing these people as ambassadors of their school (and of the state).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 pm

poichi wrote:I was turned off Minnesota when 95% of their current students (who had presumably volunteered to be present at the ASW) were dicks who acted like they were only there because they lost a bet with the dean.

There were one or two cool people but the rest seemed like they absorbed the asshole component of Minnesota Nice and discarded the rest (this coming from someone who has been a Minnesotan for a few years now, so I know the contradictions in MN "Nice"). I couldn't believe that UMN was endorsing these people as ambassadors of their school (and of the state).
Damn. Sorry you feel that way. I just finished 1L at UMN and most of my classmates are genuinely good people.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:11 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:My worst experience by far was during an on-campus interview. One of the students they had set me up to talk to spent a good half of our time together telling me about how terrific he is. He made sure I knew that he took the LSAT on a whim and still scored so high as to make him one of only a few black males in the country with his scores and that he knew he would have gotten in pretty much anywhere he wanted, so he was sure his current school was lucky to have him. Then he told me about how outraged he was that his school wasn't promoting his success more. I tried more than once to get him to stop talking and turn to a different topic, but he would not be swayed. As we parted he tried to joke, "I hope I haven't scared you!".

I was definitely scared, scared that the whole school was filled with people like him. Thankfully, I got to meet some other folks that day who were nothing like him, so no harm, no foul.

This is the worst kind of person. I'm glad he wasn't your only point of reference.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Not really anything the school did but Florida State looked like a plantation owner's house and made me generally uncomfortable.

ZipWhenSheMoves

Bronze

Post by ZipWhenSheMoves » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:13 pm

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:I actually had a super weird interview with GULC too. The woman alumnus I spoke with seemed to have hated her time there. I tried to play it off but she was like "no. It's really intense. Everyone is an asshole. It will get to you." So that was a little uncomfortable. Didn't completely turn me off of the school, but just an odd experience.
Yea, I heard from an acquaintance who went to a school nearby that everyone he knew at GULC was miserable...this is reinforcing my distaste.

I applied to both there and GW (among a bunch of others)- I honestly feel that if I got into both I'd pick GW of the two.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rendlelaw

New

Post by rendlelaw » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:10 pm

Here's hoping Stillwater doesn't eat me up for my impressions.

I actually got kind of a bad vibe from Cornell. They granted me a waiver (after denying me one when I asked for it) and said they were sending a viewbook. I waited until I received it to actually send in my application (which has been complete and sitting on the LSAC website for months now), but it never came.
I sent a gentle reminder about how maybe it got lost in the mail and gave them my address to confirm with their records. Instead of a simple, "Our mistake, we'll send it right away," I got, "I’m sorry you haven’t received the viewbook previously sent. We will re-send it to the address below."
Then when it did come, they misspelled my name.

Now, none of these things were egregious at all, but they all just added up to a feeling of unprofessionalism.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:19 pm

rendlelaw wrote:Here's hoping Stillwater doesn't eat me up for my impressions.

I actually got kind of a bad vibe from Cornell. They granted me a waiver (after denying me one when I asked for it) and said they were sending a viewbook. I waited until I received it to actually send in my application (which has been complete and sitting on the LSAC website for months now), but it never came.
I sent a gentle reminder about how maybe it got lost in the mail and gave them my address to confirm with their records. Instead of a simple, "Our mistake, we'll send it right away," I got, "I’m sorry you haven’t received the viewbook previously sent. We will re-send it to the address below."
Then when it did come, they misspelled my name.

Now, none of these things were egregious at all, but they all just added up to a feeling of unprofessionalism.
i heard your call and now im here to eat you up like that giant whale or some other creature of the deep. at the end of the day, who really cares? if cornell is your best option at the end of the day, are you gonna say, no, im going to American, because cornell spelled my name wrong and sent me a form email? probably not.

Bronze

Post by 06162014123 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:54 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:27 pm

RedShift wrote:It's not a bad impression, but an odd impression. I got in at GULC last year, but they did something funny with scholarships. They wanted me to write a 1-page essay detailing why I deserved a scholarship, how much money I needed to make GULC worthwhile, and where GULC ranked in my list of options. I know why they did it. My numbers were really high, and they knew they were a safety. I just have to wonder why they didn't simply do what UPenn and UVA did, which was waitlist me for YP. This just seemed like a silly game.

gulc's got a finer line to walk though, considering the class size and who they need to pull to keep that ranking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Dark Kite

Bronze

Post by The Dark Kite » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:37 am

I went to UNC a little while ago (pre-LSAT) and I had a convo with an assistant dean of admissions and at first I was like "nice, she's not over-selling the school" but then it seemed like she was trying to almost talk me out of it... the nice part was when she said "law school is an expensive investment and it's good to think long and hard about making a decision about whether or not you want to attend" which was great, even though I hadn't mentioned anything financial-related... but then she kept going on about and even explicitly said at one point "law school isn't for everyone."

Anyways. Fast forward to the present and I scored above the 75th on the LSAT and have been admitted and between that weird convo and the crusty facilities (at least compared to other similar-ranked schools), I'm gonna probably have to decline the offer.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:39 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:How nice or mean an admissions person is shouldn't have any effect on your decision-making process. These are people you will probably never talk to again, even if you attend that school. While it's arguable that having an incompetent admissions office should reflect poorly on a school, you have better data to base your decision on about how competent the law school is overall: their employment placement numbers.
This.

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:49 am

The Dark Kite wrote:I went to UNC a little while ago (pre-LSAT) and I had a convo with an assistant dean of admissions and at first I was like "nice, she's not over-selling the school" but then it seemed like she was trying to almost talk me out of it... the nice part was when she said "law school is an expensive investment and it's good to think long and hard about making a decision about whether or not you want to attend" which was great, even though I hadn't mentioned anything financial-related... but then she kept going on about and even explicitly said at one point "law school isn't for everyone."

Anyways. Fast forward to the present and I scored above the 75th on the LSAT and have been admitted and between that weird convo and the crusty facilities (at least compared to other similar-ranked schools), I'm gonna probably have to decline the offer.
An AdComm speaking honestly and realistically about what a giant risk law school is?

That is NOT the kind of behavior we want to reinforce.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:52 am

North wrote:
The Dark Kite wrote:I went to UNC a little while ago (pre-LSAT) and I had a convo with an assistant dean of admissions and at first I was like "nice, she's not over-selling the school" but then it seemed like she was trying to almost talk me out of it... the nice part was when she said "law school is an expensive investment and it's good to think long and hard about making a decision about whether or not you want to attend" which was great, even though I hadn't mentioned anything financial-related... but then she kept going on about and even explicitly said at one point "law school isn't for everyone."

An AdComm speaking honestly and realistically about what a giant risk law school is?

That is NOT the kind of behavior we want to reinforce.
Now he'll go to GW at sticker. That'll show 'em.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”