Bad Impressions Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
CJRpnw

Bronze

Re: Bad Impressions

Post by CJRpnw » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:30 pm

Purplepen wrote:Still waiting to hear from NYU (to get a ding or wl obviously), so I visited Fordham because they offered a good sum of money and it's more home city. I attended a tour because I lhave been accepted to better schools, so asd there is s lower priority for work days off than other schools. If the tour guide never opened her mouth, I would have probably been very impressed by the just how pretty the building was, but oh freakin lord I withdrew immediately after that tour. Never have I met such an unprofessional, pessimistic, uninformed individual throughout this entire process. Every answer to every question was 'idk why don't you ask someone else.' Like you're a 3L, what the heck have you been doing for three years that you can't answer a single question about the school? Furthermore, when asked about 'anecdotal job prospects in the market' here, she basically said if she got into any better school in any region she would have gone there instead. What a nightmare, gladly declining my scholarship.

As a side note, I also didn't really like WashU when I visited, but I can't quite put a finger on why, something rubbed me the wrong way. they didn't give me enough money to hold my interest.
Student tour guides can be ROUGH. Touring a Midwest school this weekend, I actually had to ask if we could, you know, see the library -- they were content to stand outside the double doors and gesture, "And that's the library."

ddoomm

New

Post by ddoomm » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:47 am

At 4:50am this morning I received this e-mail, that read in part:
"I hope that this note finds you well and gearing up for what's ahead. I realize that you have your reasons for withdrawing your application from our program; however, we are hoping to leave the lines of communication open, in case you have a change of plans."

At 9:43am, the follow up e-mail:
"This morning you may have received an automated email from our system that is directed to students who have decided to withdraw their application from our program. This message was sent to you in error. We apologize for any inconvenience and confusion that this may have caused."

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:09 pm

Iam3hunna wrote:
kwabedi wrote:
Iam3hunna wrote:UVA's YUGE seat deposit left a bad impression on me. Does that count?
That depends, how YUUUUUUUUGEE was it?
About $1,000 Yuge
It's actually only $500 for the first one, and $500 for the second one in June. I actually thought that was pretty standard for most schools, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:17 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
Iam3hunna wrote:
kwabedi wrote:
Iam3hunna wrote:UVA's YUGE seat deposit left a bad impression on me. Does that count?
About $1,000 Yuge
It's actually only $500 for the first one, and $500 for the second one in June. I actually thought that was pretty standard for most schools, but correct me if I'm wrong.
The deposit I am getting ready to put down is two installments of $750

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:30 pm

Iam3hunna wrote:
kwabedi wrote:
About $1,000 Yuge
It is definitely yuge when you realize that Yale's deposit is $250 unless they've changed it, and Harvard's is $0. Berkeley's is $0 too.

$1,000 in cash is a lot of money...UVA clearly wants it to hurt if you get off that HYS waitlist spot you're holding into the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Iam3hunna

Bronze

Post by Iam3hunna » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:37 pm

fliptrip wrote:
Iam3hunna wrote:
kwabedi wrote:
About $1,000 Yuge
It is definitely yuge when you realize that Yale's deposit is $250 unless they've changed it, and Harvard's is $0. Berkeley's is $0 too.

$1,000 in cash is a lot of money...UVA clearly wants it to hurt if you get off that HYS waitlist spot you're holding into the summer.
Columbia's is like 600 and I think NYU's is 500 as well. Significantly cheaper IMO.

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:24 pm

This made me laugh more than it made me dislike the schools:
I'm ME but lived in the US my entire life, was born here, etc. In my apps, mentioned nothing about religion at all (because why would I?). Three T14s so far have sent me emails with Arabic greetings (I'm not even Arabic) from their Muslim student associations. Hrmmmmm.

Serett

Post by Serett » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:42 pm

This was a couple of cycles ago, but during a visit, UMich assigned me to sit in on a class that didn't actually meet that day. The professor across the hall kindly invited me to sit in on his class instead (an environmental law course of some sort rather than a 1L course), which at least spoke well of him if not of the admissions department.

And I don't really think people should need to add this disclaimer, but since they apparently do: it of course did not consciously impact my decision of where to attend.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:20 pm

Just FYI to everyone, schools will sometimes refund your deposit, in contradiction of official policy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:27 pm

Serett wrote:This was a couple of cycles ago, but during a visit, UMich assigned me to sit in on a class that didn't actually meet that day. The professor across the hall kindly invited me to sit in on his class instead (an environmental law course of some sort rather than a 1L course), which at least spoke well of him if not of the admissions department.

And I don't really think people should need to add this disclaimer, but since they apparently do: it of course did not consciously impact my decision of where to attend.
No, we should not need that disclaimer, but I am glad you mentioned it. Many of the gripes we have here are just evidence that the school's admissions offices are staffed by human beings who mess up. With the many hundreds of folks they deal with annually, it's more than understandable to see a typo here or a schedule snafu there. Now if you have something mission-critical going on and they tarry excessively or are disorganized, that's fair to be concerned about.

luckboxr

New

Post by luckboxr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:57 am

USD Law: I got admitted, but they wouldn't even reply to my email, nor could I get ahold of any of the admissions people via phone. Bottom line: avoid this school like the plague.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:34 pm

Pizon wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:How nice or mean an admissions person is shouldn't have any effect on your decision-making process. These are people you will probably never talk to again, even if you attend that school. While it's arguable that having an incompetent admissions office should reflect poorly on a school, you have better data to base your decision on about how competent the law school is overall: their employment placement numbers.

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Pft, figuring out how nice the fin aid office is is incredibly important, imo. I know some fin aid offices that have been NIGHTMARES for my friends (luckily I haven't had any of those issues myself) and those nightmares also came with stories of problems with the school trying to change their fin aid packages randomly or something.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:58 am

brinicolec wrote:
Pizon wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:How nice or mean an admissions person is shouldn't have any effect on your decision-making process. These are people you will probably never talk to again, even if you attend that school. While it's arguable that having an incompetent admissions office should reflect poorly on a school, you have better data to base your decision on about how competent the law school is overall: their employment placement numbers.

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Pft, figuring out how nice the fin aid office is is incredibly important, imo. I know some fin aid offices that have been NIGHTMARES for my friends (luckily I haven't had any of those issues myself) and those nightmares also came with stories of problems with the school trying to change their fin aid packages randomly or something.
I have literally never heard of that happening with a law school scholarship. If there's a stipulation attached (because it's a terrible scam of a school), then that's very clearly included in your scholarship offer.

Now, your federal loan disbursements may change if you get married, income changes, etc., but that's not the financial aid office "randomly" changing anything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:37 am

LJL at withdrawing because you had a bad tour. Law school's purpose is to train you for a job, not a three year day spa

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:07 am

I do think you can judge a school based on its admissions office when the office tries to coerce you into making an uniformed decision. I remember when I got into USC the admissions people wanted me to make my decision in 3 days! I wasn't on the waitlist, but just got admitted the regular way. I sent an email to them asking "if you train your attorneys to make impulsive decisions without taking the time to research alternatives." That email changed their tune, but I still figured that there must be something wrong with the school if they have to be that aggressive with the people they admit. Hopefully they no longer do that to applicants.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:28 pm

Got a call from a Dean yesterday telling me how much he loved my application and it was the best he's seen in his career, he loved reading about my science background and my ambition to escape the pressure of my parents putting me on a pre-med track

Dude I was a philosophy major in college

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:34 pm

Stylnator wrote:Got a call from a Dean yesterday telling me how much he loved my application and it was the best he's seen in his career, he loved reading about my science background and my ambition to escape the pressure of my parents putting me on a pre-med track

Oh shit. Worst wrong number ever!! What did you say?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:40 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
Stylnator wrote:Got a call from a Dean yesterday telling me how much he loved my application and it was the best he's seen in his career, he loved reading about my science background and my ambition to escape the pressure of my parents putting me on a pre-med track

"Thank you for the full tuition scholarship"

He got my name and all my personal details right. I think he was making multiple calls and got one file mixed up with another. It was incredibly uncomfortable and so I went along with it..we'll see if the letter that's supposed to come in the mail actually arrives

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:38 am

Stylnator wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

"Thank you for the full tuition scholarship"

He got my name and all my personal details right. I think he was making multiple calls and got one file mixed up with another. It was incredibly uncomfortable and so I went along with it..we'll see if the letter that's supposed to come in the mail actually arrives
What school lol.

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:57 am

This is petty, but I had been checking my status checker for this one school basically every single hour. Never updated. All of a sudden I get an email from the school inviting me to the admitted students day??? I call the admissions office and they don't answer so I leave a voicemail. Never got a call back. They've sent me at least 3 more emails inviting me to events, but have still not officially admitted me. It was always a back up school but still...

nimbus2020

New

Post by nimbus2020 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:13 am

On one of my admissions packets, the word "Road" was misspelled on my address. Can't say it didn't turn me off. :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:32 am

I got an email from a current student offering to answer any questions and the like (standard current student email) and I replied back with two questions. It's been 2 weeks and I never got a response back. It kind of makes me wonder why they bothered to email me in the first place...

Another school sent me an email admitting me under the Early Decision agreement (which I definitely did not do) and subsequently corrected it...okay fine, no worries. A week later I got a letter with that same email. :lol:

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:48 pm

Holy lawls that's great.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:39 pm

I have one about NYU. I filled out the financial aid application, submitted it, then got an email telling me I hadn't submitted financial information for my other parent, and that I'd need to provide all these written documents and witnesses to prove he was estranged from me.

He's dead. That's why I put my mother's status as "widowed" in the application.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:52 pm

katthegreat11 wrote:I have one about NYU. I filled out the financial aid application, submitted it, then got an email telling me I hadn't submitted financial information for my other parent, and that I'd need to provide all these written documents and witnesses to prove he was estranged from me.

He's dead. That's why I put my mother's status as "widowed" in the application.
I'm so sorry, that's awful :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”