Bad Impressions Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
sd5289

Gold

Re: Bad Impressions

Post by sd5289 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:42 am

For everyone complaining about how negative/cynical those of us who are actually in law school are being on this thread, TLS is probably the most law school friendly site you can find on the internets. Most websites like this one are the norm (and pretty much a must read for any 0L).

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon May 05, 2014 1:14 pm

mewalke1 wrote:
Sure whats that like 1% of people who go to law school?

Ok anyone who doesn't go to a top 5 school on a full ride and land that sweet job before they graduate can be considered crazy? Is that qualified enough for you Geeeeeez.

"making six figures in your 20s is crazy. I'm sure making $18000 at Starbucks is much more fulfilling"

Isn't it this kind of advertising that law schools are using to suck in people and rape their finacial future?
big difference between t14 w/scholly (a good chunk of people on this site) and going to Liberty or 90% of other law schools which offer bad to terrible employment outcomes for 75%+ of their graduates

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:13 pm

sd5289 wrote:For everyone complaining about how negative/cynical those of us who are actually in law school are being on this thread, TLS is probably the most law school friendly site you can find on the internets. Most websites like this one are the norm (and pretty much a must read for any 0L).

I just found this one recently. Although I think the writer is trying to help...I don't know that any prospective students will take him seriously because of the attitude of the site. Very negative. Most would/do just get defensive.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:26 am

The 5 TTTs who've emailed me in the last week relaying that it's "not too late" for fall admissions.

Seriously? GTFO.

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:05 pm

cron1834 wrote:The 5 TTTs who've emailed me in the last week relaying that it's "not too late" for fall admissions.

Seriously? GTFO.
I feel I am going to get emails from Valpo Law and Barry Law for the rest of my life..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:01 am

The Dark Shepard wrote:
cron1834 wrote:The 5 TTTs who've emailed me in the last week relaying that it's "not too late" for fall admissions.

Seriously? GTFO.
I feel I am going to get emails from Valpo Law and Barry Law for the rest of my life..
No doubt. I actually had a couple messages that week from two places I literally hadn't heard of ... and I've been on TLS (if you include lurking) for a long damn time!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:42 am

someone on tls got a full ride offer from indiana tech and they didn't even apply :|

alanjd

New

Post by alanjd » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:55 pm

I tried to negotiate for more $ from one school and the dean of admissions sent me an email asking me what law school meant other than just money. So, I wrote a long reply about what going to law school meant to me; it was basically a second personal statement. I was expecting some kind of response saying that they did not have money or anything like that, but I actually never heard back from them on the issue.

Another school sent me three emails asking me to join clubs before I received the official acceptance email. They also asked me to fill out a survey about 4 months after I withdrew my application.

Applying to law school was definitely an experience.

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:03 am

My personal bad impressions:

UVA - I had a very weird visit. The public interest students there basically told me not to go there. Apparently the PI community receives little institutional support and the PI career services office tries to push students towards OCI. I also thought UVA's interview process was weird. Other schools have a very formal interview scheduling website and process. UVA was just a very casual email asking for my availability to have a skype chat. I almost overlooked the email. I guess it's a way of being friendly and accessible but I preferred the professional approach.

Georgetown - They emailed me multiple (5+) times asking if I still wanted to be on the wait list for a merit scholarship. Every time I promptly replied with a yes. The same question just kept coming. I finally withdrew still waiting for a scholarship offer because it was just too annoying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:03 pm

This is sort of in retrospect, but Dean Rahman at Richmond is super nice (overly nice) when they want you as a 1L. Super annoying when you want to transfer. She hasn't been that bad to me, but my friend keeps getting inundated with emails from Rahman pushing him to make a decision about next year.

Also, all the professors talk among themselves so good luck trying to keep it on the DL you are considering transferring. You're blacklisted as soon as you request that first Dean's Letter and there is no 'negotiating a better scholarship.'

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:19 pm

SFSpartan wrote:I got a very negative impression of Santa Clara. SCU touts their IP placement, as they are in the heart of Silicon Valley, but when I went to one of their receptions, it seemed as though nearly all of the people who said they were going there were software engineers that were already employed, and being sent by their companies to acquire legal training so they could work in-house.

It bugged me, so a couple days later, I called career services to ask about their IP placement. They told me that the background of IP students shouldn't be a factor when considering SCU, and that I should focus instead on my own background, and the school that could best place me with that background. So I'm taking that as a yes.

I also felt, in my interactions with SCU, that they were fairly rude, and didn't give me the same quality of attention as USF or Hastings
you made some big mistakes here buddy. Check your inbox

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Please don't necro threads from almost a year ago to respond to a post from 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure SFSpartan has made their decision long ago.

DJKRD92

New

Post by DJKRD92 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:39 am

UChicago at a Law School Fair.

Every other school was SUPER interested in talking about their schools. But when people asked UChicago, this was what happened:

Student A: I'm really interested in International Criminal Law and I saw that a lot of other schools have classes for this very specific field. Does UChicago have any classes in this field?

UChicago: Yeah.

Student B: How are the public service opportunities available at UChicago?

UChicago: There's plenty.

Student C: How would you describe your OCR experience when you were a student there?

UCHicago: It was good.
Last edited by DJKRD92 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The Mixed Tape

Platinum

Post by The Mixed Tape » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:58 am

Woah! Bad impression!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:08 am

DJKRD92 wrote:UChicago at a Law School Fair.

Every other school was SUPER interested in talking about their schools. But when people asked UChicago, this was what happened:

Student A: I'm really interested in International Criminal Law and I saw that a lot of other schools have classes for this very specific field. Does UChicago have any classes in this field?

Student C: How would you describe your OCR experience when you were a student there?

I immediately crossed off UChicago from my list.
idk you sound pretty socially unaware so maybe Chicago's a good fit for you

DJKRD92

New

Post by DJKRD92 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:29 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:

idk you sound pretty socially unaware so maybe Chicago's a good fit for you
pass.

thetravelinglawyer

New

Post by thetravelinglawyer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:28 pm

GGU's "WHY srudy law here" email this morning was pretty impressive. Also the fact that it's the fourth email from them in the past two weeks. Eesh.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Harry_Pluxen

Bronze

Post by Harry_Pluxen » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:52 am

thetravelinglawyer wrote:GGU's "WHY srudy law here" email this morning was pretty impressive. Also the fact that it's the fourth email from them in the past two weeks. Eesh.
Haha. Got that one too.

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:24 pm

thetravelinglawyer wrote:GGU's "WHY srudy law here" email this morning was pretty impressive. Also the fact that it's the fourth email from them in the past two weeks. Eesh.
You mean Golden Gate? I got a pretty personalized email from one of their profs. It was actually nice - the email was professional, the prof seemed interesting and genuinely interested in talking to me one on one. But I'd never heard of GGU, so I looked them up on LST aaaaand not interested.

I mean really, the bad impression that GGU leaves (in my experience) is just their employment stats, though they do send out so much email that its basically spam.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:43 pm

You crossed a school off your list because a staff member gave inadequate answers? l o fucking l. sad to see you go.

DJKRD92

New

Post by DJKRD92 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:34 pm

WheninLaw wrote:

You crossed a school off your list because a staff member gave inadequate answers? l o fucking l. sad to see you go.
No, it's more like I didn't really want to go to go there in the first place, but that bad impression really made me not want to fork over $75. l o fucking l, sad to see you so emotionally invested in UChicago.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Sure, boss. Not applying because of the answers to three questions is bizarre. God, having to watch out for the fragile ego's of 0L's would drive me insane

DJKRD92

New

Post by DJKRD92 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:25 pm

WheninLaw wrote:Sure, boss. Not applying because of the answers to three questions is bizarre. God, having to watch out for the fragile ego's of 0L's would drive me insane
Lol More like the garbage attitude of the representative of a place with an already terrible reputation (ex. "where fun goes to die") proved why I shouldn't go there in the first place. You seem like you have lots of fun friends. Don't be too sensitive about it.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:31 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:46 pm

DJKRD92 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:Sure, boss. Not applying because of the answers to three questions is bizarre. God, having to watch out for the fragile ego's of 0L's would drive me insane
Lol More like the garbage attitude of the representative of a place with an already terrible reputation (ex. "where fun goes to die") proved why I shouldn't go there in the first place. You seem like you have lots of fun friends. Don't be too sensitive about it.
Oh, I'm not sensitive and strongly support your right to make stupid choices. If it helps, I'm sure that law students at every top school think it is pretty dumb.

I'd be careful about conflating "shouldn't go there" with "couldn't go there."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”