Accepted Students Day: to go or not to go? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
chopsueybrandy

New

Accepted Students Day: to go or not to go?

Post by chopsueybrandy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:56 pm

I have a few schools that I visited before I submitted my applications since I live less than an hour away. I got the tour, the meet and greet with dean of admissions, and visited an actual class. Oh, and the folder with all the info.

Is there any point in going to an accepted students day if you've already visited? Also, would you go even if you weren't entirely sure you would end up going to that school? I have a few that are on the short list, but I don't know if I should try to visit them now or just wait until I decide and only visit that school.

Truth be told, I'm really tired of the sales pitch. However, I don't want to miss out on something important. Since I have never been to an accepted students day, not even for undergrad, I have no idea what these things are typically like.

Ramius

Gold

Re: Accepted Students Day: to go or not to go?

Post by Ramius » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:59 pm

chopsueybrandy wrote:I have a few schools that I visited before I submitted my applications since I live less than an hour away. I got the tour, the meet and greet with dean of admissions, and visited an actual class. Oh, and the folder with all the info.

Is there any point in going to an accepted students day if you've already visited? Also, would you go even if you weren't entirely sure you would end up going to that school? I have a few that are on the short list, but I don't know if I should try to visit them now or just wait until I decide and only visit that school.

Truth be told, I'm really tired of the sales pitch. However, I don't want to miss out on something important. Since I have never been to an accepted students day, not even for undergrad, I have no idea what these things are typically like.
You might have gotten some idea of what your classmates could be like by visiting the school previously, but now you could actually meet your potential future classmates. Seems like a good idea in determining your fit with the class. No need to surround yourself with a veritable clown car of a-holes (or conversely infect a good group of people if you're the a-hole).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:00 pm

I guess the main thing is to get a good feel for the school and the people you may be students with. Not vitally important.

Some people will claim that you gotta choose school based on how it feels, but that's mostly shitboomber nonsense. THere is usually an objectively better school for what you want to do.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:05 pm

There is usually some free booze, food, and a subsidized or free hotel. If you are in school or have vacation days, why not? If you haven't decided it is probably worth going to them to get a feel for your potential classmates.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I guess the main thing is to get a good feel for the school and the people you may be students with. Not vitally important.

Some people will claim that you gotta choose school based on how it feels, but that's mostly shitboomber nonsense. THere is usually an objectively better school for what you want to do.
Very true. I guess I was considering nearby options like USC/UCLA or BU/BC. If both nearby, why not to sort through something beyond the numbers (which are objectively similar)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:11 pm

If its not terribly inconvenient, go for the free booze and swag.

chopsueybrandy

New

Post by chopsueybrandy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:32 pm

Well, my concern for the one is that it occurs on a day when I have two tests. I'm might able to move them, but that's a pain in the ass b/c it's right before spring break. I guess I'll go talk to the profs and see what we can do.

As for the other, I've already registered. Hopefully there's some free booze. ;)

Thanks, guys!

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Make sure to check with the school to see if you're eligible for a travel stipend. I'd personally have a hard time justifying flying coast to coast, for example, without one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”