Bring a parent to law school visit? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
nickb285

Silver

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Post by nickb285 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:58 pm

cinephile wrote:Do you want to hear a funny story? It wasn't admitted students weekend, but rather orientation, when I met this guy and a girl he claimed was his fiancee (and that she was a non-law student). As it turns out, she had just met him that night, was a fellow law student, and was too drunk to contradict his story. They're not dating now or anything, it was just a rather strange event and I wanted to share it.
That's awesome. What was her reaction upon finding out later?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 pm

nickb285 wrote:
cinephile wrote:Do you want to hear a funny story? It wasn't admitted students weekend, but rather orientation, when I met this guy and a girl he claimed was his fiancee (and that she was a non-law student). As it turns out, she had just met him that night, was a fellow law student, and was too drunk to contradict his story. They're not dating now or anything, it was just a rather strange event and I wanted to share it.
That's awesome. What was her reaction upon finding out later?
Oh, I have no idea if she knows this happened. I've never told her and she's not friends with that guy (despite the fact that we were all in the same section). She's pretty chill, though, so she might not care. And as far as lies and rumors go, being someone's non-law school fiancee is not a bad thing.

So, if you don't have a SO to bring with you on ASW, just pick someone wasted out of the crowd and claim she's your gf/fiancee/wife. Guaranteed to be a success.

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Wed May 29, 2013 4:50 pm

My dad had to drive me to an ASD after my knee surgery. He mostly just sat off to the side while I talked to people, came up to me once to ask how long it would last and then went back to his chair. He helped me with lunch and finding the elevator, so it was nice to have him there because I was a cripple. I felt bad though because he was bored out of his mind, but he left to hit up the mosque after lunch and then picked me up. We ended up sitting with a mom and daughter at lunch and that was a prime example of why you shouldn't bring your parents -- she was bragging about her daughter and answering for her to the professors sitting with us. I was so glad my dad just ate and smiled along while the profs talked to me, but luckily I only had to take him to one -- I still wouldn't. He was really excited and it was cute and all, but it's still graduate school.

Sounder89

New

Post by Sounder89 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:32 pm

If I was a parent about to drop 200k on my kid's law school education I would damn sure want to visit first. I think some prospective/admitted students are accompanied by parents more because the parents insist on going than anything else.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Sounder89 wrote:If I was a parent about to drop 200k on my kid's law school education I would damn sure want to visit first. I think some prospective/admitted students are accompanied by parents more because the parents insist on going than anything else.
But honestly, do parents actually know more about the law schools than their children, or know better how to evaluate the school? What are they going to say - "I didn't like that mock class, you're not going to Princeton Law!"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Thu May 30, 2013 7:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:But honestly, do parents actually know more about the law schools than their children, or know better how to evaluate the school? What are they going to say - "I didn't like that mock class, you're not going to Princeton Law!"
If their parents are lawyers, maybe? Either way, I doubt it matters. Helicopter parents will hover, no matter the logic.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:But honestly, do parents actually know more about the law schools than their children, or know better how to evaluate the school? What are they going to say - "I didn't like that mock class, you're not going to Princeton Law!"
If their parents are lawyers, maybe? Either way, I doubt it matters. Helicopter parents will hover, no matter the logic.
Oh, definitely. Their helicopterness, though, doesn't justify anything. :D

Themanp

New

Post by Themanp » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:22 pm

Why is everyone assuming that the hypothetical parent is 'going with' to help judge the law school? Maybe the parent is just proud of their kid, and would like to see the school where their child may be living for the next three years? Once we're in law school we are not going to have much of a life outside of the school for the foreseeable future. I think all this self conscious nonsense is pretty immature and downright pathetic. We are adults. Who cares if some nobody has a bone to pick about it? As long as your parent isn't sitting in on some 1 on 1 with admissions, or something along those lines, than it is really NOT a big deal. This is your family. Instead of being so embarrassed, you should be thankful that you have a parent who actually gives a damn. Shame on you. And while that analogy sure is cute and sounds oh-so-great.. it is totally ridiculous.
Last edited by Themanp on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:23 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Themanp

New

Post by Themanp » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:26 pm

stillwater wrote:
Themanp wrote:Why is everyone assuming that the hypothetical parent is 'going with' to help judge the law school? Maybe the parent is just proud of their kid, and would like to see the school where their child may be living for the next three years? Once we're in law school we are not going to have much of a life outside of the school for the foreseeable future. I think all this self conscious nonsense is pretty immature and downright pathetic. We are adults. Who cares if some nobody has a bone to pick about it? As long as your parent isn't sitting in on some 1 on 1 with admissions, or something along those lines, than it is really NOT a big deal. This is your f***g family. Instead of being so embarrassed, you should be thankful that you have a parent who would like to do something like this with you. Shame on you. And while that analogy sure is cute and sounds oh-so-great.. it is totally ridiculous and plain LAUGHABLE.

BTW, I didn't get the opportunity to attend any on campus events. So this is not some personal justification. I just think we should stop caring so much about what complete strangers might or might not think, and maybe start thinking about some of those who are close to us instead. They won't be there forever.
yo, weirdduderage, this thread is way dead.

but thank you for opining on the subject.
You responded to this in like 20 seconds. I didn't even have time to clean up my edits! Whatevs, I'm out. Just my two cents.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post by MistakenGenius » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Toshiba31 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Toshiba31 wrote:It must vary because this past weekend at the ASD I attended there were tons of parents and it didn't seem odd to me at all. I remember reading this exact post and thinking that it may have something to do with us being in the south. There were so many parents that everyone from the chancellor to other faculty administrators and professors made several "parent" references i.e. "Parents, we know this is a big decision for you all as well..." that sort of thing. I attended with my husband, I'm glad he came but I can see how attending this type of event with any guest could interfere with trying to get to know other potential students as most of us didn't do a whole lot of mingling.
It could just be a TTT thing. Nobody at my school brought parents except for 1 person. Really fucking embarrassing for them.
Not quite TTT but thanks for playing!
LSU? I'll stand by my words.
In my time here, no one has annoyed me as much as you. Who the hell is Desert Fox to talk down to everyone all the time?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:48 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:In my time here, no one has annoyed me as much as you. Who the hell is Desert Fox to talk down to everyone all the time?
You've been here a month. Give it time, I'm sure you'll find many others to annoy you just as much as DF.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:35 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
MistakenGenius wrote:In my time here, no one has annoyed me as much as you. Who the hell is Desert Fox to talk down to everyone all the time?
You've been here a month. Give it time, I'm sure you'll find many others to annoy you just as much as DF.
In fact, you may come to appreciate DF's posting as you remove the stick from your b hole.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:39 pm

DF is 180, although if you're an idiot I can see how he would get on your nerves.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:02 pm

Saw one girl with a parent at orientation this week.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:02 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:You've been here a month. Give it time, I'm sure you'll find many others to annoy you just as much as DF.
In fact, you may come to appreciate DF's posting as you remove the stick from your b hole.
Nah he's still annoying a year later, but he's still way better than some of the other crazy people on this forum. He's got brains and isn't afraid to call someone on their bullshit. :D

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:17 pm

DF is also one of the most helpful posters on TLS. He's earned the right to be a dick sometimes. (Unlike some others I could name.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:07 am

Yeah, he knows what he's talking about. (To the extent I know enough to be able to tell, anyway.)

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:42 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Saw one girl with a parent at orientation this week.
Just crashed an orientation event for free food. There was a kid with his mom there. Mom was complaining to director of student affairs about the lack of non-soda beverage options. Kid didn't even seem embarrassed.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:54 am

cinephile wrote:
Just crashed an orientation event for free food. There was a kid with his mom there. Mom was complaining to director of student affairs about the lack of non-soda beverage options. Kid didn't even seem embarrassed.

The boomers have ruined us.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:57 am

cinephile wrote:
How does this even happen? I don't understand how grown adults let their parents do this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:17 am

ImNoScar wrote:
cinephile wrote:
How does this even happen? I don't understand how grown adults let their parents do this.
Because a K-JD is not a grown adult.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:19 am

I visited my law school during application season. I'm slightly older, and my parents live in a different state, so I was flying solo. I met a young chap whose appointment was immediately before mine, a K-JD who was visiting the school with his parents. I mentioned the V10 I worked for before moving back to the Midwest, and he had never heard of it. His parents were your typical adorable Midwestern, non lawyer parents. I felt smug, what with my relative age and wisdom.

Turns out the dude killed it 1L year, is a moot court beast, and has a CoA clerkship lined up.

Moral of te story: bring your parents; don't bring your parents. Whatever. It's your performance after the visit that will really matter both professionally and socially. And if you can get your parents to pay? Totally worth any marginal social awkwardness.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:24 am

Lwoods wrote:I visited my law school during application season. I'm slightly older, and my parents live in a different state, so I was flying solo. I met a young chap whose appointment was immediately before mine, a K-JD who was visiting the school with his parents. I mentioned the V10 I worked for before moving back to the Midwest, and he had never heard of it. His parents were your typical adorable Midwestern, non lawyer parents. I felt smug, what with my relative age and wisdom.

Turns out the dude killed it 1L year, is a moot court beast, and has a CoA clerkship lined up.

Moral of te story: bring your parents; don't bring your parents. Whatever. It's your performance after the visit that will really matter both professionally and socially. And if you can get your parents to pay? Totally worth any marginal social awkwardness.
And OJ Simpson was a great football player. See how those things aren't correlated at all?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:18 pm

I think anyone who's tried to draw a correlation between bringing a parent and ability in school is engaging in wishful thinking. I still think it's ridiculous to show up with your parents in tow, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”