Bring a parent to law school visit? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
jellyfish921

New

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Post by jellyfish921 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:08 pm

I am one of those embarrassing people bringing a parent to ASD! My strategy is to save money and only stay in St. Louis for one night. So on Friday while I go attend ASD, my mother can go explore St. Louis/swing by WUSTL herself later and we can compare notes at the end of the day. Does that seem like a viable plan?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:22 pm

jellyfish921 wrote:I am one of those embarrassing people bringing a parent to ASD! My strategy is to save money and only stay in St. Louis for one night. So on Friday while I go attend ASD, my mother can go explore St. Louis/swing by WUSTL herself later and we can compare notes at the end of the day. Does that seem like a viable plan?
spleenworship wrote:Please.

Stop.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:29 pm

jellyfish921 wrote:I am one of those embarrassing people bringing a parent to ASD! My strategy is to save money and only stay in St. Louis for one night. So on Friday while I go attend ASD, my mother can go explore St. Louis/swing by WUSTL herself later and we can compare notes at the end of the day. Does that seem like a viable plan?
You have bigger problems than attending an ASW with your parent.

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Last edited by manu6926 on Sun May 25, 2014 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

femmefatale

Bronze

Post by femmefatale » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:14 pm

cinephile wrote:
tbesancon wrote:But it is important that she see's my potential new university and the city I'll be living in.
I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to show your family your school or the city you're living in. I was happy to show my mom around when she came and visited me for Thanksgiving during 1L. But allowing parents to influence your educational choices when so much of your future is at stake seems to be where the problem lies.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:46 pm

Leave this be already. Most of your peers will think of it as weird. If you DGAF about that, good for you - no need to brag on the Internet about it.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:53 pm

Lol at your millennial children.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:47 pm

I don't know what's weirder: that people actually bring their parents to this stuff, or that they desperately want the approval of the TLS boards before they do.

If you're bringing your mom to a law school visit, you're already sending a pretty clear DGAF as far as the opinion of your peers goes. Own that shit, I guess. Bonus points if you wear one of those monkey backpacks with the tail/leash attached so your mom can make sure you don't wander off.

osubucknut

New

Post by osubucknut » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Just attended an asw and a large majority of people there brought a guest. Don't feel pressured to go alone if you want to bring someone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:59 pm

osubucknut wrote:Just attended an asw and a large majority of people there brought a guest. Don't feel pressured to go alone if you want to bring someone.
If you're dating/engaged/married and your partner is moving to a new city with you, then it makes sense for him or her to come along and see the city and meet your new classmates since he or she is going to be involved in all of this for the next 3 years. It makes far less sense for your parents to do that unless you're telling me that your parents are moving to law school with you, going to bar review with you, and befriending all of your classmates.

osubucknut

New

Post by osubucknut » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:07 pm

cinephile wrote:
osubucknut wrote:Just attended an asw and a large majority of people there brought a guest. Don't feel pressured to go alone if you want to bring someone.
If you're dating/engaged/married and your partner is moving to a new city with you, then it makes sense for him or her to come along and see the city and meet your new classmates since he or she is going to be involved in all of this for the next 3 years. It makes far less sense for your parents to do that unless you're telling me that your parents are moving to law school with you, going to bar review with you, and befriending all of your classmates.
True, but if your parents want to see the city/school there's no problem with that. Some people choose to bring parents and I don't think people will be judged as much as this forum suggests they will.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:29 pm

cinephile wrote:
ASW isn't even necessarily with people who will be your classmates. I don't think there's any point in bringing your spouse to ASW events, let alone your parents.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Danger Zone wrote:

Stop.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mauve.Dino

Bronze

Post by Mauve.Dino » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:39 am

Parents: out. Grandparents: IN.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:11 am

Whyyy is this still/even being discussed. Everyone has different fam issues so why does it matter. My parents are paying everything my scholarship doesn't, they should see where their money is going, plus they live abroad so want to check out where I'll be the next 3 years. They won't come to ASD with me but will wander campus/the city with me and move me in. Whatever your reason for bring your parents/fiance/gf/bf/bff, I think the people who care are definitely the weirder ones...

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Yazzzay wrote:Whyyy is this still/even being discussed. Everyone has different fam issues so why does it matter. My parents are paying everything my scholarship doesn't, they should see where their money is going, plus they live abroad so want to check out where I'll be the next 3 years. They won't come to ASD with me but will wander campus/the city with me and move me in. Whatever your reason for bring your parents/fiance/gf/bf/bff, I think the people who care are definitely the weirder ones...
Because people keep posting :wink:

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:18 pm

It's just an insurmountable divide, like liking/disliking coconut or cilantro. No one is ever going to convince me that their parents should accompany them to an ASW. Come see the city? Sure. Get a tour not connected to the ASW? Sure. Go to your ASW? I'm just never going to think that's appropriate. (Not in the helicopter parenting crowd.)

But obviously there are lots of people who think it is appropriate. Which is fine. I'll judge you for bringing your parents, and you'll judge me for judging you, and the world will continue spinning as usual.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:25 pm

There's actually a story to the cilantro thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dinin ... .html?_r=0

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:27 pm

hdunlop wrote:There's actually a story to the cilantro thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dinin ... .html?_r=0
I used to love cilantro until someone told me they thought it tasted like soap. Now I can't stop tasting the soap.

I hope I didn't just ruin it for anyone else.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:21 am

Yazzzay wrote: They won't come to ASD with me but will wander campus/the city with me and move me in.
No one is saying that's weird. Showing them around on your own is fine. It's not like if they come visit they must be quarantined in your apartment or something. People are talking about bringing them to official school functions/things designed for the students.

dsamuels

Bronze

Post by dsamuels » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:38 am

I think if you just graduated undergrad and your parents have had experience or success in higher education then yes bring them. That said, if your over the age of 23 do not bring your parents. Case Closed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

phireblast

New

Post by phireblast » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:32 am

I don't think bringing a parent to a private visit is a terrible thing. I wouldn't bring them to organized 'admitted students' activities and events, though.
I think ultimately your parents are the most important people in your lives, they won't be around forever and if they want to see what their child is doing, where he/she is going, and experience a little bit of hope and happiness for you before they die, then so be it.

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:31 pm

I think it's fine on non-ASD unless the parent spends the entire time asking inane questions like "Do they(Career Services) help them write their resumes?". The entire time. And making bad jokes. This one mother who was there on my GW tour...ugh

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

Stop.

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Mauve.Dino wrote:Parents: out. Grandparents: IN.
TCR.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”