Bring a parent to law school visit? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Icculus

Silver

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit? (Esp. IUB/northeastern)

Post by Icculus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 pm

tuc00318 wrote:I definitely agree with many of you about going alone to ASDs (except Maryland-more parents than anything and i felt weird being alone), but what about bringing a quiet parent to a just a law school tour (no class sit-ins). thoughts? I asked an admissions office person who was helping me set up my tour and they said that that's fine and they get all sorts of people with students on tours. he said it was really normal?
Maybe it depends on the school. I know at least at NU it is exceptionally rare to see a parent on an official tour. However, we also tend to attract more applicants with 1-2+ years of full time work experience, and I think that people with that kind of gap between UG and LS are less reliant/intetested in bringing their parents along.

Another option is to tour the school yourself and then show your parents around later in the day. Or as Romo said, bring them to a family weekend. I think it's imporatnt to remember that this should be your decision. Unlike undergrad, where you are still basically a kid when you are starting out and your parents also presumably have a higher financial stake in your decision, LS is about the start of your career and your entrance into adulthood (if you're a K-JD, the rest of us, presumably entered into the misery of real life at graduation and entrance into the working world).

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37 pm

tuc00318 wrote:I definitely agree with many of you about going alone to ASDs (except Maryland-more parents than anything and i felt weird being alone), but what about bringing a quiet parent to a just a law school tour (no class sit-ins). thoughts? I asked an admissions office person who was helping me set up my tour and they said that that's fine and they get all sorts of people with students on tours. he said it was really normal?
I see parents on tours all the time. I try not to, but I do quietly judge them for it. Like I asked the other poster, are you going to bring them to CBs at firms to help you decide?

acs507

Bronze

Post by acs507 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote:My parents are paying for everything and they want to check out the school I've chosen to attend. I don't think I'll be bringing them to the actual ASD events but I'll probably tour them around myself after attending the actual tour. I don't see the problem with it, especially since I'd like the company and we'll be exploring the area around the school together afterwards. I'd also like to feel like I brought a little bit of home with me to where I'll be for the next three years before I move all the way across the country.
I think this is perfectly normal and reasonable. Its just the having your parents tag along to an ASW or a visit that I find a little bizarre.

Another option is most schools have family weekends. Mine came 1L year and I think they enjoyed it.
This. My parents are helping me finance law school so I want to involve them in the process a bit. But a bit means inviting them to take a tour with me. I wouldn't have them sit in on a class, and I would never take them to an ASD because after all, that's about meeting prospective students and I think having them along would interfere.

basketball law guy

New

Post by basketball law guy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:30 pm

That's your answer. Have them accompany you to the weekend but have them keep their distance at certain events. Some kids have terrible relationships with their parents and some have really close relationships. I lost one of my parents and I would love to have her at my visits- to hell with what other egotistical kids think.

Enjoy your time with them.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:56 pm

If you are talking about an actual admitted students day, guests are not encouraged and in many cases are not allowed. It is actually more similar to a wedding reception. Unless the invitation says "and guest," you don't bring guests. Some schools spend a decent amount of money on the reception, and extra people means extra costs.
What I would do is set up an appointment for a tour and invite a parent to that. I think it is perfectly acceptable to have parents visit and see where you will be living/going to school.
The "rules" for an open house are different. Actually when you sign for an open house or a tour online, most schools have a space on the form to list how many people will be attending. When I received my invitation to ASD, there was no such space.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CAteacherguy

New

Post by CAteacherguy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:50 am

I think it also depends what your situation is and what your dynamic with your parents is... as a non-trad student (in my mid-30s), I would feel totally comfortable bringing my parents with me on a campus tour or to sit in on a class if they had any interest in doing so (as retired 70 year olds, they really don't). That said, I [thankfully] don't have the same kind of relationship or dynamic with my parents that I had when I was in my early-20s. To be honest, at this point I would think it's really sweet that they're so excited about me going back to school that they'd want to see the school... I did *not* feel like that when I went to grad school the first time (right out of undergrad).

This thread makes me feel old.

-CAtg

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:18 am

Just in case you're positing the "don't bring a parent" thing as a function of youth: I was late 30s when I was visiting law schools and find the idea that I would bring my parents to either an ASD or a tour utterly baffling. I had a great relationship with my parents when I was straight out of college, and I have a great relationship with them now, but bringing them on that kind of a visit would be pointless distraction - I wouldn't want to do it and neither would they. It would be one thing to take them to see the school once I'd enrolled somewhere. But on a visit made to decide where I wanted to attend? No.

(Obviously if you feel differently that's cool. But I really don't think it's about age.)

nanochick

New

Post by nanochick » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:24 am

I think it's fine. Frankly, people who judge people for things that are none of their business are asses. You can't live your life worrying about people like that or that's all you'll do.

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:30 am

Davidbentley wrote:Bringing a parent to a school visit is like bringing a glove to a baseball game. You can do it if you're over 12, but you should expect to be judged for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:35 am

I'll admit it - I totally judged people who showed up to ASDs with parents in tow. That said - no, there's absolutely no reason you should care what I think. :D

eleemosynary2

New

Post by eleemosynary2 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm 5 years out and am not bringing my parents to any ASWs (I confer with them separately to share thoughts). That said, I thought it was kind of cute and didn't judge when people had their parents at an ASW I went to. Also, law school is a huge economic decision that can have implications on parental resources, depending on that family's resources/choices, so I can understand parents wanting to participate in at least the financial information part.

Toshiba31

New

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Post by Toshiba31 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:44 pm

It must vary because this past weekend at the ASD I attended there were tons of parents and it didn't seem odd to me at all. I remember reading this exact post and thinking that it may have something to do with us being in the south. There were so many parents that everyone from the chancellor to other faculty administrators and professors made several "parent" references i.e. "Parents, we know this is a big decision for you all as well..." that sort of thing. I attended with my husband, I'm glad he came but I can see how attending this type of event with any guest could interfere with trying to get to know other potential students as most of us didn't do a whole lot of mingling.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:53 pm

Last edited by guinness1547 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:48 pm

Toshiba31 wrote:It must vary because this past weekend at the ASD I attended there were tons of parents and it didn't seem odd to me at all. I remember reading this exact post and thinking that it may have something to do with us being in the south. There were so many parents that everyone from the chancellor to other faculty administrators and professors made several "parent" references i.e. "Parents, we know this is a big decision for you all as well..." that sort of thing. I attended with my husband, I'm glad he came but I can see how attending this type of event with any guest could interfere with trying to get to know other potential students as most of us didn't do a whole lot of mingling.
It could just be a TTT thing. Nobody at my school brought parents except for 1 person. Really fucking embarrassing for them.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Toshiba31 wrote:It must vary because this past weekend at the ASD I attended there were tons of parents and it didn't seem odd to me at all. I remember reading this exact post and thinking that it may have something to do with us being in the south. There were so many parents that everyone from the chancellor to other faculty administrators and professors made several "parent" references i.e. "Parents, we know this is a big decision for you all as well..." that sort of thing. I attended with my husband, I'm glad he came but I can see how attending this type of event with any guest could interfere with trying to get to know other potential students as most of us didn't do a whole lot of mingling.
It could just be a TTT thing. Nobody at my school brought parents except for 1 person. Really fucking embarrassing for them.
Not every school prides itself on assembling a class of olds, dude.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:11 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Not every school prides itself on assembling a class of olds, dude.
We are only about two years older than average.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:27 pm

One of the more awkward moments of my law school experience occurred at ASD. I was hanging out with another, older man. We were getting along really well. I asked him what his job had been before he decided on law school. He looked confused, and then shook his head. "Oh no, I'm the parent of _____ over there. I'm actually an associate at ______"

To be fair, I have several classmates who are older than him. We played it off and laughed about it but...

:?

This is just my personal opinion, but I think that by the time you're in graduate school, it is high time you flew the coop and get the hell away from parents. If not now, when?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Disagree with Icculus, in that I see parents on school tours at NU (I give tours) all the time. Maybe 50% of the time, someone on my tour will have a parent along. It's fine. I only judge when the parent asks all the questions and the student isn't engaged.

Parents at ASW is different; I definitely wouldn't, unless they are refusing to pay for something (the trip and/or law school) unless you let them come along. And in those cases, you've got bigger mommy/daddy issues than being judged at ASW.

I brought my dad with me to Chicago for ASW, but he didn't come to any events. I showed him campus on a non-ASW day. We did some museums and stuff in the city together, but my fellow admits never saw him.

Toshiba31

New

Post by Toshiba31 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Not quite TTT but thanks for playing!

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:59 pm

If you do bring them, keep them under control. We had some out of control parents at an admitted students day who were going up to random students and asking them if they had jobs, and if not, why not.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Xifeng wrote:If you do bring them, keep them under control. We had some out of control parents at an admitted students day who were going up to random students and asking them if they had jobs, and if not, why not.
"Why don't I have a job? Haha, I mean, I wish there were a concrete reason, but the market is just not that great right now. I'm hoping to–"

"Oh, so you didn't get a job because you didn't work hard enough is basically what you're saying? Hey Bobby! See! This one's just a lazy millennial. Don't be like her and you'll be fine!"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Toshiba31 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
LSU? I'll stand by my words.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Toshiba31 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

LSU? I'll stand by my words.
LOL

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:40 pm

I think the sentiment ITT about bringing parents to ASD is a little overstated, from my experience at least. At Wake's ASD, I'd say about 60-70% of the people in attendance brought their parents. It didn't seem like a big deal to me. I'm sure that'd be different at a school like Northwestern, though. That was the only ASD I've been to, so maybe other schools are different, but it wasn't a big deal at Wake. All of the important stuff like sitting in on a class, etc. were done without the parents.

Toshiba31

New

Post by Toshiba31 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:29 am

It could just be a TTT thing. Nobody at my school brought parents except for 1 person. Really fucking embarrassing for them.[/quote]

Not quite TTT but thanks for playing![/quote]

LSU? I'll stand by my words.[/quote]

LOL[/quote]

I won't even indulge in this "debate" with you. It may not be HYS but I'm very proud of my school with its 80% employment rate and VERY affordable tuition. Every post does not have to be an invitation to the "my school is better than yours" argument. Had absolutely nothing to do with the topic posted. You must be suffering from little man syndrome. Have a seat!
Last edited by Toshiba31 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”