Bring a parent to law school visit? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Scotusnerd

Silver

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Post by Scotusnerd » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think anyone who's tried to draw a correlation between bringing a parent and ability in school is engaging in wishful thinking. I still think it's ridiculous to show up with your parents in tow, though.
Agreed. It's not a statement of ability. I suppose it's a statement of identity.

Are you an adult, or are you a child?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think anyone who's tried to draw a correlation between bringing a parent and ability in school is engaging in wishful thinking. I still think it's ridiculous to show up with your parents in tow, though.
Meh, mostly just being self deprecating remembering my position on this topic 2 years ago.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:09 pm

I have no idea why anyone would bring a parent to a LS visit. The decision to go or not to a particular school is entirely the feel of whether you like it (what difference does it make what you parent thinks of the school?) along with analysis of COA, job prospects, and basically all the numbers. I would say that anyone who wants to bring a parent to a law school visit is not ready to go to law school, because to succeed you need to be an adult.

BruinRegents

Bronze

Post by BruinRegents » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:47 am

Bringing my mom to my LS visit because she's a single-mom that raised me on minimum wage at one point. I want to share the exhilarating moment with her.

She's neither a Tiger Mom nor a Helicopter Parent so I won't be embarrassed to have her come.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:04 am

BruinRegents wrote:Bringing my mom to my LS visit because she's a single-mom that raised me on minimum wage at one point. I want to share the exhilarating moment with her.

She's neither a Tiger Mom nor a Helicopter Parent so I won't be embarrassed to have her come.
That makes more sense that most people's reasons. Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:00 pm

BruinRegents wrote:Bringing my mom to my LS visit because she's a single-mom that raised me on minimum wage at one point. I want to share the exhilarating moment with her.

That's legit. I'll probably have my rents with me to visit Penn. They both clawed themselves out of the Ghetto to get me to a respectable middle class life.

tbesancon

New

Post by tbesancon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:02 pm

I am not at all embarrassed to say that my mom will be tagging along to my week long law school visit trip. My parents are fronting the Law school bill, so why wouldn't they come? They are also paying for my trips to 7 law schools out of state. I am drawing the line at attending classes and admitted students weekends....those I want to experience on my own. And quite frankly, she would be bored to death and wouldn't even want to be there for that lol. But it is important that she see's my potential new university and the city I'll be living in.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:24 pm

tbesancon wrote:I am not at all embarrassed to say that my mom will be tagging along to my week long law school visit trip. My parents are fronting the Law school bill, so why wouldn't they come? They are also paying for my trips to 7 law schools out of state. I am drawing the line at attending classes and admitted students weekends....those I want to experience on my own. And quite frankly, she would be bored to death and wouldn't even want to be there for that lol. But it is important that she see's my potential new university and the city I'll be living in.
GOOD FOR YOU BUDDY

SOLID BUMP

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:26 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
tbesancon wrote:I am not at all embarrassed to say that my mom will be tagging along to my week long law school visit trip. My parents are fronting the Law school bill, so why wouldn't they come? They are also paying for my trips to 7 law schools out of state. I am drawing the line at attending classes and admitted students weekends....those I want to experience on my own. And quite frankly, she would be bored to death and wouldn't even want to be there for that lol. But it is important that she see's my potential new university and the city I'll be living in.
GOOD FOR YOU BUDDY

SOLID BUMP
+1
Also, why are you visiting 7 schools out of state?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tbesancon

New

Post by tbesancon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:22 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
GOOD FOR YOU BUDDY

SOLID BUMP
+1
Also, why are you visiting 7 schools out of state?

Because I am not going to law school in my home state. I grew up in CA, but went to ugrad in AZ. I like the southwest soooo much more than CA. So I'm mostly applying to AZ and TX schools, and a few other rando's in the bunch.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:52 pm

tbesancon wrote:But it is important that she see's my potential new university and the city I'll be living in.
No it's not.

DrStudMuffin

Bronze

Post by DrStudMuffin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
GOOD FOR YOU BUDDY

SOLID BUMP

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:05 pm

tbesancon wrote:But it is important that she see's my potential new university and the city I'll be living in.
I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to show your family your school or the city you're living in. I was happy to show my mom around when she came and visited me for Thanksgiving during 1L. But allowing parents to influence your educational choices when so much of your future is at stake seems to be where the problem lies.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tbesancon

New

Post by tbesancon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:10 pm

cinephile wrote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to show your family your school or the city you're living in. I was happy to show my mom around when she came and visited me for Thanksgiving during 1L. But allowing parents to influence your educational choices when so much of your future is at stake seems to be where the problem lies.
I completely agree with you there. Luckily, I have great folks who want me to apply anywhere that I want and that will be the best choice for my future. But I feel like I owe so much to them and I really appreciate their input on big decisions.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:20 pm

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:28 pm

why is this still a thread?

ratfukr

Gold

Post by ratfukr » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:52 pm

some of clay7676's finest work ITT
never forget

eta oh wait lol i confused it with the gunning at visits thread

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whm0829

New

Post by whm0829 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:33 am

My mom will be flying out with me to check out the school/town but will not be attending the events. I see no problem with bringing parents. Who cares.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:38 am

whm0829 wrote:My mom will be flying out with me to check out the school/town but will not be attending the events. I see no problem with bringing parents. Who cares.
Way to necro a three month dead thread with your personal opinion on a topic that has already been beaten to death, and has already been necroed multiple times.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:00 pm

whm0829 wrote:My mom will be flying out with me to check out the school/town but will not be attending the events.
I don't think this is what people are judging others for ITT. Be sure to pick up some critical reading skills before you start law school.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:43 pm

:lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:03 am

spleenworship wrote:
whm0829 wrote:My mom will be flying out with me to check out the school/town but will not be attending the events. I see no problem with bringing parents. Who cares.
Way to necro a three month dead thread with your personal opinion on a topic that has already been beaten to death, and has already been necroed multiple times.
it's just that important

kek5250

Bronze

Post by kek5250 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:03 pm

I'll be bringing someone with me every time I visit a campus, whether it be a parent, my best friend (who's applying to law school next year and wants to see some) or my boyfriend... I think that being able to talk through pros and cons is really useful if you are weighing options! I think that on official tours it's best to not bring parents. Bring a notebook, write down all the relevant facts, then tell them later. But I can definitely understand wanting someone else around to look at the area, where you might consider living, etc. Sometimes that's just useful, especially if you're torn between two schools, etc.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:59 pm

kek5250 wrote:I'll be bringing someone with me every time I visit a campus, whether it be a parent, my best friend (who's applying to law school next year and wants to see some) or my boyfriend... I think that being able to talk through pros and cons is really useful if you are weighing options! I think that on official tours it's best to not bring parents. Bring a notebook, write down all the relevant facts, then tell them later. But I can definitely understand wanting someone else around to look at the area, where you might consider living, etc. Sometimes that's just useful, especially if you're torn between two schools, etc.

your sincerity is suffocating

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:28 am

Posting in this thread was one of the worst mistakes of my life.

Every time someone necroes this thread I die a little more inside.

Please.

Stop.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”