ASWs or Independent Visits? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Lurkington

New

ASWs or Independent Visits?

Post by Lurkington » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Last edited by Lurkington on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Re: ASWs or Independent Visits?

Post by wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:37 am

From what I gather there's usually more stuff planned during asw. While during a visit you'll take a tour, sit in on a class and meet some peeps. Asw might have a few other things, fellow classmates, and usually gifts. I think either is fine as it gives you a feel of what the law school is.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 am

I think you might get a more genuine impression of what the atmosphere at a particular school is like when they're not trying to impress you.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:35 am

cinephile wrote:I think you might get a more genuine impression of what the atmosphere at a particular school is like when they're not trying to impress you.

this.
if you really want to see how the school is, go here when they arent deliberatly putting on show- that way you can get a "truer" picture for yourself

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:56 am

northwood wrote:
cinephile wrote:I think you might get a more genuine impression of what the atmosphere at a particular school is like when they're not trying to impress you.

this.
if you really want to see how the school is, go here when they arent deliberatly putting on show- that way you can get a "truer" picture for yourself
That's actually a really good point

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:01 am

100%

Lurkington

New

Post by Lurkington » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:50 am

Last edited by Lurkington on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:54 am

Lurkington wrote:Interesting. So are ASWs useful at all then? Or mostly just an excuse to go on vacation for a couple of days?
They usually offer free booze, food, and travel stipends. It's also an opportunity to party with some people who may or may not be in your class next year.

But I actually have a friend who based her law school decision on what a good time she had at BU's ASW. Even though she had no scholarship here, she thought the people were the friendliest and had so much fun she decided to go here over a peer school with $$. She now regrets that decision (although she would probably still say that it's fun).

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:26 am

cinephile wrote:
Lurkington wrote:Interesting. So are ASWs useful at all then? Or mostly just an excuse to go on vacation for a couple of days?
They usually offer free booze, food, and travel stipends. It's also an opportunity to party with some people who may or may not be in your class next year.

But I actually have a friend who based her law school decision on what a good time she had at BU's ASW. Even though she had no scholarship here, she thought the people were the friendliest and had so much fun she decided to go here over a peer school with $$. She now regrets that decision (although she would probably still say that it's fun).
Yeah, these visits are really for your own perspective to see if it fits. I have a friend at Duke who got into a few Ivy league places but was completely put off by the visits.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SydneyC

New

Post by SydneyC » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:45 pm

Both have merit. I think ASWs are good because you get to see and meet some of the actual people that will be in your class (should you decide to attend). As some posters have said, do keep in mind they're putting on a show at ASW to get you to come. With that in mind, enjoy the free food & events. And if the school does a bang up job showing AS that they want them, well that's not a bad thing.

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:56 pm

When entering battle, I for one, would like to know if I am entering alongside an army of mouth-breathers.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:51 pm

:lol: :lol:

LaurenKO

New

Post by LaurenKO » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:24 pm

I did a few "surprise" visits to choose where to apply, it definitely gave me a better impression of the school culture. Now I'm looking forward to seeing who else has made it into my schools at the ASWs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”