Visiting my local law school. Need advice. Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
bobbypin

Bronze

Visiting my local law school. Need advice.

Post by bobbypin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:42 am

I have an appt with the admissions office, a tour scheduled, and will be sitting in one class. Any tips and suggestions are welcome.

I'm planning on wearing something business casual: a skirt and blouse. I plan on taking a notebook to take notes. Is there anything else I should think about or worry about?

Thanks!

luckyme

Bronze

Re: Visiting my local law school. Need advice.

Post by luckyme » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:44 am

bobbypin wrote:I have an appt with the admissions office, a tour scheduled, and will be sitting in one class. Any tips and suggestions are welcome.

I'm planning on wearing something business casual: a skirt and blouse. I plan on taking a notebook to take notes. Is there anything else I should think about or worry about?

Thanks!
Maybe bring something to take notes during the appointment (is this an interview?), but don't take notes during the class. pointless.

bobbypin

Bronze

Post by bobbypin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 pm

luckyme wrote:
bobbypin wrote:I have an appt with the admissions office, a tour scheduled, and will be sitting in one class. Any tips and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Maybe bring something to take notes during the appointment (is this an interview?), but don't take notes during the class. pointless.
This is not an interview. Just meeting with an admissions officer, a tour, and sitting in on a contracts class. I have not yet applied to this school.

handsonthewheel

Bronze

Post by handsonthewheel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Don't dress business casual, you will be out of place. Dress normal but not frumpy.

Don't bring a notebook to take notes on, if there is anything really important you can email and ask for confirmation. If you need to record your thoughts, do it afterward. Especially do not bring a notebook into a class you're sitting in on for notes.

If the school fits your needs (career outcomes, cost, location) then the rest is really irrelevant unless there are two schools that meet the same needs, in which case you'll probably make a logical or gut feeling that you won't derive from notes.

Just go see the place, nothing you need to prep for.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:30 pm

A skirt and blouse sound fine, you won't be out of place.

You might want a laptop so you can read/watch something during the class you sit in on. You'll definitely want to talk to the students and see what the school culture is like. I didn't and absolutely regret it.

Moultdog

New

Post by Moultdog » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:27 pm

You can always pick out the prospective students by their business casual dress. Wear it though, because if you're gonna stand out, you might as well look better than everyone else. And don't judge the kids sitting in front of you on Facebook the whole time during class. They know what they're doing!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”