Importance of Visiting Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
firstimer

New

Importance of Visiting

Post by firstimer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi all,
Had a quick question about visiting schools - is it a big deal if you don't visit the schools ahead of applying? Is that viewed as a lack of interest on the part of the applicant? I plan to talk to students at each of the schools and incorporate those thoughts into why essays, but it's tough to visit many schools.

Also, based on what I've read, a nice shirt and jeans with good shoes / sandals is ok for a campus visit and session with the admissions office, right?

Thanks for your help.

fatduck

Gold

Re: Importance of Visiting

Post by fatduck » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:39 pm

doesn't matter at all for admissions

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:54 pm

fatduck wrote:doesn't matter at all for admissions
Visiting only really matters for degree programs in which the numbers are not everything (like B-Schools).

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:18 pm

Yes, that's fine.

Starscream15

New

Post by Starscream15 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Visiting is important when you are deciding where to accept. Being on campus can give you an idea about 1.) Facilities, 2.) Student body, 3.) Atmosphere and 4.) Quality of life. Sitting in on actual classes and talking to students who are not the student ambassadors is the best way to figure out if it is a school you want to spend 3 yrs at.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

firstimer

New

Post by firstimer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:19 pm

awesome - thanks for the info. And jeans / shirt is ok?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:26 am

firstimer wrote:awesome - thanks for the info. And jeans / shirt is ok?
soj wrote:Yes, that's fine.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:58 am

I would visit if 1) it was a reach school, and 2) you're driving distance from said school (wouldn't spend more than $100 to visit). I think schools like UPenn and UVA that are into yield protection will be slightly more likely to accept you off the waitlist if you can actually show up at the school, walk around, and say that you would absolutely attend this school if accepted in an LOCI.

Edit> I'm talking out of my rear on UVA, but I've heard success stories for reach candidates that visited UPenn. Anecdote, sure. Shaky casual connection, absolutely. But who knows.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:00 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I would visit if 1) it was a reach school, and 2) you're driving distance from said school (wouldn't spend more than $100 to visit). I think schools like UPenn and UVA that are into yield protection will be slightly more likely to accept you off the waitlist if you can actually show up at the school, walk around, and say that you would absolutely attend this school if accepted in an LOCI.
But probably not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DaleCooper

New

Post by DaleCooper » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:01 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:But probably not.
It worked for me... I visited UVA, and even though I had you-must-ED-to-get-in numbers, Dugas told me actually showing up had the same effect because I was showing that I was serious and not just a shotgun applicant. I wrote a "Why UVA" talking about my visit the next day and emailed it in. I got accepted a few weeks later. I had a similar experience with Duke.

I think everybody should visit every school they're seriously considering, even if it means flying (I hit up Chicago, Northwestern, and Michigan in one four-day trip) or roadtripping (I did Cornell, Harvard just for fun, Penn, Virginia, and Duke in ten days). With reaches you can hold off until you get in, but it's amazing how actually spending a day at a school can take it from #1 to #8 on your list (Chicago) or #8 to #3 (Duke). I feel like TLS people are too crazy about drawing nonexistent employment distinctions between schools within subtiers... PVBMDNGC are pretty much all the same unless you want a secondary market that's dominated by a particular school, you're at Penn and want NYC (Good!), or you're at Georgetown and want DC (Bad!). I think people would be better off figuring out where they actually want to live for three years. And I can definitely see how each and every T14 would be the best T14 for a certain type of person.

Whenever I see a thread like "NYU or Chicago?" or "Cornell ($$) v. Duke ($$) for NYC BigLaw", I'm like, "You clearly haven't visited either, have you?"

dorothymiles123

New

Post by dorothymiles123 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:06 am

It is important that you visit the School before you enroll so as to check the facilities of the school. For you to know if the school could provide you the knowledge that you need.

Dorothy Miles
Law School - http://www.law.stanford.edu

Law School Bubble

New

Post by Law School Bubble » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:46 pm

I just came from Atlanta LSAC forum earlier... Emory law school said they track who visits the school to gauge their interest.

No iffy hearsay here, straight from the school's mouth to my ear, and they had a director or some official person like that at their desk (can't bother to dig the business card out of the bag right now), not some current or former student.

On the other side of the spectrum, Columbia doesn't even do tours, you just show up whenever you want and tour yourself, talk to whoever you want. Don't come in summer though cause they don't have summer classes, everyone is working.

faizdasl1231

New

Post by faizdasl1231 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:19 am

SPAM

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SydneyC

New

Post by SydneyC » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:35 pm

fatduck wrote:doesn't matter at all for admissions
Agreed.

It's all about the numbers.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:58 pm

bro.

don't necro.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:23 am

dorothymiles123 wrote:It is important that you visit the School before you enroll so as to check the facilities of the school. For you to know if the school could provide you the knowledge that you need.

Dorothy Miles
Law School - http://www.law.stanford.edu
TITCR. Going out of your way to visit before you're even accepted is pointless, IMO (unless you're genuinely interested in a law school's campus).

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:49 am

I would absolutely visit after having narrowed down my list of acceptances. I didn't and found the school's culture and the general area to be a poor fit. Something I would've known if I had visited.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

grapefruits

Bronze

Post by grapefruits » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:23 pm

I recently visited Chicago, after being admitted, and there were a number of hopefuls on the tour as well. Frankly, it was awkward because you could tell they thought they were getting some boost from being there, even though their only interaction was with a 1L. They lingered in the admissions office, uncomfortably, for awhile before being all but shooed off. One kid even wore a full suit. The amount of second-hand embarrassment I felt was unbearable.

DaleCooper

New

Post by DaleCooper » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:44 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Going out of your way to visit before you're even accepted is pointless, IMO (unless you're genuinely interested in a law school's campus).
Depends on the school. YHSCCN don't care who you are when you visit, but the rest of the T14 are pretty amenable to sitting down with you and getting to know you. Just doing the guided tour and group information session is a waste of time, but actually putting a day into exploring the campus and meeting with admissions officers for informational interviews can be very helpful. Being able to write a "Why Duke?" or "Why Virginia?" or "Why Penn?" that really communicates enthusiasm and a knowledge of the school beyond what's on the website is a really good way to stand out from the crowd as long as you're in the ballpark, numbers-wise.

And if it turns out that you hate the school, it makes the sting of the waitlist/rejection a lot more bearable.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”