Wake Forest Ranking Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
TopSider11

New

Wake Forest Ranking

Post by TopSider11 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:08 am

After attending Wake, seeing the facilities first hand and looking over employment information (theirs and other collected data from other sites like Vault or NLJ hiring charts) it seems to me that Wake is a lot lower than seems to make sense. Their undergraduate education is ranked 25th in the country so you wouldn't think national reputation would be an issue, they seem to have a strong alumni network and they place relatively well (top 10% seems to be about average outside the t14) to be ranked in the high 30s. It seems like they should almost be in the high 20s instead. I was just hoping someone could give me some rationale that they think might contribute to Wake's current ranking as I'm getting ready to make my decision and as much as I wish I could get passed the rankings, it's easier said than done. Thanks!

moneybagsphd

Silver

Re: Wake Forest Ranking

Post by moneybagsphd » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:32 am

high 20s, high 30s, same difference.

TopSider11

New

Post by TopSider11 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:43 am

moneybagsphd wrote:high 20s, high 30s, same difference.
touche. Not disagreeing but I'm just trying to see if maybe there is something I'm missing in looking at the school

fountino

New

Post by fountino » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:51 am

So you're saying a school's ranking should have more to do with the opportunities it provides its graduates for substantive legal employment than academic prestige, per capita expenditures, or the number of volumes in a law library?

What is your problem? :lol:

TopSider11

New

Post by TopSider11 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:55 am

fountino wrote:So you're saying a school's ranking should have more to do with the opportunities it provides its graduates for substantive legal employment than academic prestige, per capita expenditures, or the number of volumes in a law library?

What is your problem? :lol:
HAHA great point, I obviously do not work at US News

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LadyDiabolyn

New

Post by LadyDiabolyn » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Great question. Anyone? Anyone? :D

BeerMaker

Bronze

Post by BeerMaker » Wed May 02, 2012 9:52 pm

If that's the case, where should NDLS rank? Reputation wise, Notre Dame is T14.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri May 11, 2012 10:06 am

BeerMaker wrote:If that's the case, where should NDLS rank? Reputation wise, Notre Dame is T14.
I dunno about that, buddy.

wsx111

New

Post by wsx111 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:53 am

SPAM

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Superfrankie

New

Post by Superfrankie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:51 am

stillwater wrote:
BeerMaker wrote:If that's the case, where should NDLS rank? Reputation wise, Notre Dame is T14.
I dunno about that, buddy.
agree with stillwater.

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:45 am

Lolz. Maybe back when Rudy played

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:59 am

The ranking system is complete nonsense over at USNWR. In my opinion, a school's rank should be based on employment numbers and not much else. In this regard, I think that the NLJ250 Go-To Schools list, though by no means perfect, is a better indicator of a school's relative rank against other schools. There are some pretty large inconsistencies between Go-To Schools rank and USNWR rank (i.e., BC - ranked 29 by USNWR; ranked 18 by NLJ250)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:21 am

OP seeks a rationale for WFU's USNews ranking: The reason is the competition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:26 am

Last edited by fanmingrui on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am

fanmingrui wrote:
JetsFan1990 wrote:The ranking system is complete nonsense over at USNWR. In my opinion, a school's rank should be based on employment numbers and not much else. In this regard, I think that the NLJ250 Go-To Schools list, though by no means perfect, is a better indicator of a school's relative rank against other schools. There are some pretty large inconsistencies between Go-To Schools rank and USNWR rank (i.e., BC - ranked 29 by USNWR; ranked 18 by NLJ250)
Cool story bro.
Thanks, bro.

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:33 am

But seriously, do you think that one ought to consider the NLJ250 rank or USNWR rank more heavily when making a decision?

theintern

New

Post by theintern » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:34 am

What about self-selection bias? If only 15% of the class is actually applying for NLJ250 jobs, and the school places 15% in NLJ250 positions then the school has 100% placement rate at NLJ250 firms. This is a horrible statistic. When you rely on it, you are assuming everyone applied for these jobs. Where I go to school, three-quarters of the class has no desire to practice in the NLJ250. It just doesn't line up geographically. Wake is in the same boat.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:36 am

I don't know of many schools (outside of TTTs) whose students aren't ALL (or at least close to all) gunning for these jobs or clerkships.

BTW: "no desire" isn't the same thing as recognizing no chance.

theintern

New

Post by theintern » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 am

That's a pretty large assumption JetsFan. And while I would agree with you with regard to schools where students hail from big cities, most of my peers come from midsize or small cities where these firms simply don't exist. When students choose to return home, many take jobs at midsize firms that don't rank on the NLJ250 list. By the way, we place well (especially with clerkships). The prevailing mentality on this board (that everyone wants to work in biglaw) just frustrates me.

placencia

New

Post by placencia » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:15 am

I can tell you that it's not always about the top 250. The number 1 person in our class last year chose to work in public service; I worked for a V50 firm and a boutique firm and loved the boutique firm and chose to work there after graduation, so that will not reflect in our placement numbers.

As a Wake student, I can tell you that the rankings are entirely driven by things like the GPA and LSAT numbers for admits, employment figures which are all doctored, and other figures. I know I am biased, but I think Wake is a great school in terms of class size, faculty-student relations, alumni networking (I know multiple people who have jobs simply because Wake people love to help Wake students...and then those firms continue to hire because of the product we put out..I can tell you that I am going out of state and I plan on offering as much help as I can to any Wake student who wants to break in to the same market.)

The thing is, I believe that Wake is better than its current "ranking," but at the end of the day, USNWR cares more about quantifiable figures. It's like judging art by what sells for the highest price.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:19 am

placencia wrote:I can tell you that it's not always about the top 250. The number 1 person in our class last year chose to work in public service; I worked for a V50 firm and a boutique firm and loved the boutique firm and chose to work there after graduation, so that will not reflect in our placement numbers.

As a Wake student, I can tell you that the rankings are entirely driven by things like the GPA and LSAT numbers for admits, employment figures which are all doctored, and other figures. I know I am biased, but I think Wake is a great school in terms of class size, faculty-student relations, alumni networking (I know multiple people who have jobs simply because Wake people love to help Wake students...and then those firms continue to hire because of the product we put out..I can tell you that I am going out of state and I plan on offering as much help as I can to any Wake student who wants to break in to the same market.)

The thing is, I believe that Wake is better than its current "ranking," but at the end of the day, USNWR cares more about quantifiable figures. It's like judging art by what sells for the highest price.
Why did you bump this to add... this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Wake is a good law school but it competes with two better law schools in the same state, Duke and UNC. Not to mention there are also 4 other law schools in the state, making 7 total.

Schools like Alabama, Iowa, Wisconsin, or Colorado though similarly ranked, face little to no competition in their respective states and therefore dominate their legal markets.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:01 pm

There really isnt a whole lot of competition with Duke. Duke students, if they stay in state almost exclusively go for Biglaw. While Wake does place a respectable amount in Biglaw, most students that I know (myself included) will be working Mid-law, boutiques and for smallish firms in places like Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Ashville and to some extent Raleigh area. As for UNC, while there is no line of demarcation in the state, the Wake name carries you quite far in Western Carolina and has really opened a substantial number of doors, where I am not sure the UNC name would have. Not to mention our smaller, but extremely dedicated alumni base that really help us in job hunting.

TL;DR: There is competition, not as much as you think and Wake is much like an Alabama, Iowa of Colorado in Western NC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”