29%
Not jeans/Nice Top
21%

Total votes: 99

DonnaDraper

Bronze

ASW Appropriate Dress (Female)

Post by DonnaDraper » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:51 pm

I was curious as to what appropriate dress is during ASW. There seems to be mixed messages on a number of other threads. Are jeans appropriate? Skirts? Dresses? Is there a distinction between day attire and evening attire? If students who attended ASWs last year could chime in that would be helpful. Also, for the men out there please limit the inappropriate comments.

vpintz

Silver

Re: ASW Appropriate Dress (Female)

Post by vpintz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:59 pm

I know for the ASD/ASW I've been invited to, they give you some guidelines...well not guidelines, but it says if they prefer casual/business casual/etc. Not very helpful, I know, but.

stewie27

Bronze

Post by stewie27 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Female who attended ASWs last year- I went with a middle road approach, I guess you could call it business casual or a little less. Like khakis and a nicer shirt (not tshirt). That seemed to be what most people did. I remember few people dressed in either extreme (no suits, and no jeans/tshirt). Overall I think it's a safe bet to go semi-casual for most of the weekend as long as you don't look sloppy. But if there's a dinner or a lunch involved you may want to up to business casual for that.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 pm

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:18 pm

What? What do these options mean? Does the third option mean... something other than jeans, plus a nice top? That seems like it would overlap with the skirts/dresses category though, unless not-jeans implies like, slacks.

Also, there should be an option for meh, whatever, because that is a fine choice. You can wear jeans and a t-shirt and no one will give a shit. Frankly, it's the school's turn to impress you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

houng89

New

Post by houng89 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:08 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:What? What do these options mean? Does the third option mean... something other than jeans, plus a nice top? That seems like it would overlap with the skirts/dresses category though, unless not-jeans implies like, slacks.

Also, there should be an option for meh, whatever, because that is a fine choice. You can wear jeans and a t-shirt and no one will give a shit. Frankly, it's the school's turn to impress you.

yea honestly you've done your part to impress the schools it really doesn't matter what you wear, no one is even going to notice, especially if your admitted students event is big

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Jeans and a nice top.

If schools want you to wear something nicer (like to a dinner or something) they will tell you.

Edit - I mean, if you want to wear a casual dress, that's totally fine too. It really doesn't matter.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:13 pm

Definitely don't dress up. Its meant to be an informal event, and the purpose is for the school to impress you, and not the other way around. You did your part and got yourself admitted, now the school is the one trying to win you over. So it is totally informal for you to sit back, listen, and let the school try to sell itself to you. My school had an ASW this past weekend, and the vast majority of kids were dressed casually, with a few random people in slacks & polo shirts (i.e more business casual attire). Then you had one or 2 losers in suits, and they just seem entirely out of place.

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:07 am

The first ASD I went to had a large number of people dressed nicely, with a few underdressed in jeans. There were a lot of faculty and current students who were dressed up, so I think that contributed to the dress standard for the day. An upcoming ASD for me specifies "business casual" also, so I'll probably dress similarly in a suit or a dress.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 pm

I just came back from an ASW. For women, I saw variations on basically 3 "looks," all of which seemed perfectly appropriate to me:

--Traditional business casual (skirt / slacks with a nice blouse or sweater)
--Jeans and sweater or blouse
--Cute dress or skirt that might not fit in a traditional or strict office environment, but still "put together" and relatively modest.

I disagree that you shouldn't worry at all about what you wear at ASW because "it's their turn to impress you." You might be meeting a professor who ends up writing you a recommendation, a financial aid officer who will be helping you with loans, or a future fellow student who you'll be working on a project with. I think you should wear whatever says to you, "I'm taking this situation seriously without sacrificing my personality."

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:53 pm

I've only been to Northwestern's ASW, but people there were dressed in everything from suits (men) to jeans and a t-shirt (both). Most people of both genders tended towards khakis/slacks with a tidy shirt/sweater. A few skirts, but casual, not business--just what you'd wear to the mall or out to lunch. The suits looked overdressed and took off their ties and unbuttoned their collars. The jeans didn't look terribly underdressed; they looked like students.

TLS has a good line that applies here: Dress like you're having dinner with your bf/gf's parents at Olive Garden.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Wear whatever you are planning to wear attending classes. Be yourself, be comfortable.

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:11 am

Whats cool for men at ASW? Is jeans/polo+jacket ok? Ditch a jacket? Slacks a requirement? Sorry to hijack, ladies.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:04 pm

Perdevise wrote:Whats cool for men at ASW? Is jeans/polo+jacket ok? Ditch a jacket? Slacks a requirement? Sorry to hijack, ladies.
Again, it doesn't matter. Don't look like a slob and don't wear a suit* and you're fine. Khakis + button down, jeans + polo, whatever. I wouldn't wear a jacket.

*Unless there's a reception or something that requires it, obviously.

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Dany wrote:Again, it doesn't matter. Don't look like a slob and don't wear a suit* and you're fine. Khakis + button down, jeans + polo, whatever. I wouldn't wear a jacket.

*Unless there's a reception or something that requires it, obviously.
Got it, thanks.

eringobragh

New

Post by eringobragh » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 pm

This should be stickied or something for all those 0L's in three-piece suits. ASD isn't your first day at Sidley.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Visits”