Is it weird to have your parents at ASD with you? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Guchster

Silver

Re: Is it weird to have your parents at ASD with you?

Post by Guchster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:37 pm

AmandaPB wrote:Related question: is it weird to have your parents help you move in?
no.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Guchster wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:Related question: is it weird to have your parents help you move in?
no.
+1

Helping you move is companionship and manual labor, not helicopter parenting.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:57 pm

I'd say w/r/t moving it depends on how old you are and how far away you're coming from.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Guchster wrote:
no.
+1

Helping you move is companionship and manual labor, not helicopter parenting.
lol'd at this phrase.

vkgarrett

Bronze

Post by vkgarrett » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:16 pm

beezy08 wrote:I've been to two this year...one had basically no parents, one had tons. I think as long as your parents aren't weird helicopter parents who are doing the research you should be doing and asking the questions that you should be asking, there's nothing wrong with it. My mom came with and attended the one meeting that was meant for guests then peaced out to do her own thing after that. I only found it weird when people didn't leave their parents side.

+1. I've been out of college for 3+ years and my mom is coming with me to my Admitted student weekend this weekend... I've been on all the other visits without them and there's been some parents. I value my parents opinion and think it will be nice to have another perspective, they know me pretty well. But if my mom started asking more questions than me, then I'd be worried. Just depends on the situation I think and how you think your parents will act. Don't show up like a scared little puppy afraid to leave your parents side... this is law school kids, grow up :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hookem12

Bronze

Post by hookem12 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:25 am

franklyscarlet wrote: A parent at gulc ASW asked a question which forced the white house counsel to use the phrase "let your kids fly from the nest." it was awkward.
Haha, I remember that! Super awkward.

It's one thing to show your parents around the campus on your own time, because I'm sure most would be interested in seeing the law school. But if they come to ASW with you, that's bad. I don't even remember anyone's parents coming in for undergrad orientation unless it was to help them move into a dorm.

edit -- After reading through, I'd like the record to show that I love my parents dearly and talk to them all the time (no dysfunctional dynamic). But I like doing things on my own, and even if they're footing the bill, where I attend law school is ultimately my decision, not theirs. I am an adult, so they respect that entirely.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:35 pm

A soccer mom at our ASD was just walking around the different student org tables at lunch and writing down the name of different ones.

I asked her if she was interested in the group I was tabling for, and she said she was taking down the names of organizations she wanted her daughter to be involved in.

It was creepy as fuck. I guess it would've been interesting to hear my mom's take about what I should be doing in law school. Maybe she can help me pick out some underwear and socks this weekend.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:48 pm

vkgarrett wrote:
beezy08 wrote:I've been to two this year...one had basically no parents, one had tons. I think as long as your parents aren't weird helicopter parents who are doing the research you should be doing and asking the questions that you should be asking, there's nothing wrong with it. My mom came with and attended the one meeting that was meant for guests then peaced out to do her own thing after that. I only found it weird when people didn't leave their parents side.

+1. I've been out of college for 3+ years and my mom is coming with me to my Admitted student weekend this weekend... I've been on all the other visits without them and there's been some parents. I value my parents opinion and think it will be nice to have another perspective, they know me pretty well. But if my mom started asking more questions than me, then I'd be worried. Just depends on the situation I think and how you think your parents will act. Don't show up like a scared little puppy afraid to leave your parents side... this is law school kids, grow up :)
+1

I think you have to know your parents. If your parents are going to hover and not let you meet people or find out about things about the school, don't bring them. If they just want to be there to look around and figure out more about where their child is going to spend the next 3 years, it is ok to bring them

wildhaggis

Bronze

Post by wildhaggis » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:59 pm

This is only weird if your relationship to your parents is still that of a 13-year-old. If you relate to your folks as a fellow adult there is nothing to worry about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:06 pm

One ASD I went to the parents were there... and the admitted student wasn't.

Seriously?

To answer the thread title question though: Yes, yes it is. If you are a grown ass man or woman your parents shouldn't be there to hold your hand as you enter professional school. Seriously.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 pm

You will be branded as the weirdest dude ever.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Guchster wrote:A soccer mom at our ASD was just walking around the different student org tables at lunch and writing down the name of different ones.

I asked her if she was interested in the group I was tabling for, and she said she was taking down the names of organizations she wanted her daughter to be involved in.

It was creepy as fuck. I guess it would've been interesting to hear my mom's take about what I should be doing in law school. Maybe she can help me pick out some underwear and socks this weekend.
:shock: Point, NYU.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:24 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
Guchster wrote:A soccer mom at our ASD was just walking around the different student org tables at lunch and writing down the name of different ones.

Not that I care, but she's probably headed down there tomorrow, lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:04 pm

spleenworship wrote:One ASD I went to the parents were there... and the admitted student wasn't.

Seriously?
TBF if my parents insisted on going and being helicopter parents, I wouldn't go.

aeiouy

New

Post by aeiouy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:24 pm

A lot of people commented on the type of parents you have, but it also has to do with the type of person YOU are. I went to my undergrad orientations/accepted student days alone, so there's no way they're coming with me to my law school ASD.

ETA: Just realized my parents have never even toured my undergrad campus lol

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Guchster wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:

Not that I care, but she's probably headed down there tomorrow, lol.
Yeah, there were a number of parents at both Columbia and NYU ASDs. Some sat in on all the panels etc. Strange. In other news, the PILF auction was very cool.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:21 pm

It's when parents start answering the questions in mock class, that's when it becomes weird

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Green Glass Windows

Silver

Post by Green Glass Windows » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:30 pm

cutecarmel wrote:
vkgarrett wrote:

+1

I think you have to know your parents. If your parents are going to hover and not let you meet people or find out about things about the school, don't bring them. If they just want to be there to look around and figure out more about where their child is going to spend the next 3 years, it is ok to bring them
I'm gonna have to agree with you guys. That being said, I think it's a lot less weird to have a parent with you if you're visiting a school on a day that is not ASW. I think the weirdness comes from the fact that one of the main benefits of an ASW is that you are able to meet some of your future classmates as opposed to an independent visit where you are by yourself. It's a lot more socially oriented than an independent visit. Then again, some parents, like mine, are super relaxed and unhelicopter-like and probably would do fine at an ASW. I value my parent's opinion (And anyone's opinion for that matter. This is one of the reasons I like TLS so much.) when it comes to law school because it is such a huge decision, and while I trust my own judgment, I see the value in getting other opinions as well. I definitely don't know everything and when I see how caught up in this whole thing I've become, I kind of want an outside opinion sometimes.

DonDrapersAttorney

New

Post by DonDrapersAttorney » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:55 pm

While I don't think it's weird to have your parents with you at ASW there are some general things. It's fine if your parents aska question, but it should be you, and not them asking a vast majority of questions. After all, you should be taking an initiative. I just got back from Quinnipiac's ASD and there were two or three sets of parents who were just shooting things off left and right. I honestly felt bad for their kids. At the end of the day I'd say you know how your parents are likely to act, use that as your basis.

Jumborific

New

Post by Jumborific » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:25 am

Who gives a crap. Bring your parents whatever.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:50 am

At UMN it wasn't rare but it wasn't common either (Idk maybe 10-15%).

As far as how it went, I say it all depends on your parents personality. I talked to one girl who was there with her mom, who appeared to be a laid back / chilled lady, and the admitted student was interacting with a bunch of other peers / mom acted almost just like a friend her age, occasionally contributing but not really.. idk they really pulled it off

I also was in the elevator with another kid who had his 2 parents with him and they were bickering at each other / taking control / treating him like a 2 year old (and later asked about 9999 questions). The poor guy had a "MOMMM YOU'RE EMBARRASSING MEE" look on his face all weekend

If your parents can act like the first example then sure bring them... if your parents would act like the second example (how mine would be / appeared to be the more average parent there) then definitely go by yourself. I'd also say I think having 1 parent is better than having both.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:35 pm

Ya know, there is a point in your life where you want to show everyone that you are a grown A__ woman or man and you don't want your parents input because YOU can do it all.... And you can.

But then you get to a point where you enjoy your parents company and it no longer embarrasses you having them around regardless of how they are.

Then you can get to the point I am and you parents passed away long ago.

I would love to be able to bring my parents to an ASD.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:37 pm

JCFindley wrote:Ya know, there is a point in your life where you want to show everyone that you are a grown A woman or man and you don't want your parents input because YOU can do it all.... And you can.

But then you get to a point where you enjoy your parents company and it no longer embarrasses you having them around regardless of how they are.

That's a little specious. My mother had a massive stroke and died in front of me on the living room floor when I was 22. If she were alive today, I would be thrilled, but I still wouldn't feel the need to bring her to ASW.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
JCFindley wrote:Ya know, there is a point in your life where you want to show everyone that you are a grown A woman or man and you don't want your parents input because YOU can do it all.... And you can.

That's a little specious. My mother had a massive stroke and died in front of me on the living room floor when I was 22. If she were alive today, I would be thrilled, but I still wouldn't feel the need to bring her to ASW.
Not a "need" to bring them but I would see nothing wrong with it either.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:40 pm

JCFindley wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Not a "need" to bring them but I would see nothing wrong with it either.
Well, I would still think it would be lame to have her there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”