Is it weird to have your parents at ASD with you? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
hellothisisme

Bronze

Is it weird to have your parents at ASD with you?

Post by hellothisisme » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:53 pm

Or is this not so unusual?

fatduck

Gold

Re: Is it weird to have your parents at ASD with you?

Post by fatduck » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:54 pm

can't answer this question without knowing whether or not you are 12

hellothisisme

Bronze

Post by hellothisisme » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:57 pm

Not 12. Reverse the one and the two.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellothisisme

Bronze

Post by hellothisisme » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Okay. That's what I figured. I wasn't planning on having my parents join me but all the asw invites I have gotten mention guests including parents, siblings, etc. so I was just curious. But thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:59 pm

hellothisisme wrote:Or is this not so unusual?

There were parents at the GULC ASW.

Also, I wouldn't be caught dead bringing my parents to a law school event. I'm a grown ass wymyn.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Yes.

I went to two ASWs in a previous cycle, and at both there were only a handful of students that brought their parents. These students ended up not being able to really socialize with everyone else. It's not that people intentionally avoided them or anything, it's just that having their parents their kind of kept them in their own little world.

Besides, it's professional school, so having your parents tag along to an event meant for students is kind of odd (though bringing a spouse is quite normal, as they will be moving and sharing in the LS experience with you to an extent).

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:03 pm

I wouldn't let a parent attend an actual event, but if they wanted to come and foot the bill for food/travel/hotel I wouldn't say no.

My mom volunteered to drive me to Cornell (I hate driving). She'll spend the day shopping, and I'll be poking around the law school.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Killingly wrote:I wouldn't let a parent attend an actual event, but if they wanted to come and foot the bill for food/travel/hotel I wouldn't say no.

My mom volunteered to drive me to Cornell (I hate driving). She'll spend the day shopping, and I'll be poking around the law school.
This is the acceptable answer if parents want to be involved.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Killingly wrote:I wouldn't let a parent attend an actual event, but if they wanted to come and foot the bill for food/travel/hotel I wouldn't say no.

Yup, my mom came with me to CU-Boulder because we were going skiing for a couple days together after. She did whatever in Boulder during the law school stuff though.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:11 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:

Also, I wouldn't be caught dead bringing my parents to a law school event. I'm a grown ass wymyn.
A parent at gulc ASW asked a question which forced the white house counsel to use the phrase "let your kids fly from the nest." it was awkward.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 pm

/

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:17 pm

There were a few parents at NU's ASW last year. I didn't see those students get, like, obviously shunned or anything, but your future classmates are a lot less likely to come up and start a conversation if mom and dad are with you. And if they do come, do NOT let them speak/ask questions for you.

My dad's coming to Chicago with me for ASW this year, but he's entertaining himself for the two days that I'll be doing on-campus stuff, before helping me apartment hunt. I'll appreciate the company while trying to navigate around the city, and he'll pay for stuff. :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:24 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:

A parent at gulc ASW asked a question which forced the white house counsel to use the phrase "let your kids fly from the nest." it was awkward.
definitely not the impression you want to make. but unfortunately this seems to be the growing trend http://www.npr.org/2012/02/06/146464665 ... -workplace

Edited out my own anecdotal story

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:31 pm

I'll be honest, I would feel very embarrassed for you. I was embarrassed for people that did this for UG, but in Law School?! The parent is just taking it to a ridiculous level.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:34 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

OMG. I forgot about that. Totally true.

Keep the mommies and daddies at home.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:41 pm

I don't think it's that big of a deal, depending on your personality. One guy brought his mom because she was paying and didn't get to go to his UG visit day. His personality could handle it - treated her like his date; making sure to introduce her to faculty, students, etc.; basically being the initiator of conversation.

If you're using your parent to hide behind out of fear, then reconsider why you're bringing them....and if you're ready for a professional school.

Don't, under any circumstances, allow them to answer questions if you sit in on a lecture. One douchey mother (a lawyer) rebutted many of the professor's points, derailing the already painful class period into a pissing contest.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

orderofthings

New

Post by orderofthings » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:42 pm

I swear there are five threads on this every year.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... t+weekends
Last edited by orderofthings on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:44 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:I don't think it's that big of a deal, depending on your personality. One guy brought his mom because she was paying and didn't get to go to his UG visit day. His personality could handle it - treated her like his date; making sure to introduce her to faculty, students, etc.; basically being the initiator of conversation.

If you're using your parent to hide behind out of fear, then reconsider why you're bringing them....and if you're ready for a professional school.

Don't, under any circumstances, allow them to answer questions if you sit in on a lecture. One douchey mother (a lawyer) rebutted many of the professor's points, derailing the already painful class period into a pissing contest.
lol. This is the best story I've heard here for a while. A mom gunner FTW.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:43 pm

I wouldn't (and didn't) bring mine.

beezy08

Bronze

Post by beezy08 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:10 am

I've been to two this year...one had basically no parents, one had tons. I think as long as your parents aren't weird helicopter parents who are doing the research you should be doing and asking the questions that you should be asking, there's nothing wrong with it. My mom came with and attended the one meeting that was meant for guests then peaced out to do her own thing after that. I only found it weird when people didn't leave their parents side.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

suits00

Bronze

Post by suits00 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:30 am

I kind of feel bad for the people who think it's so f__ked up to have your parents show their support and attend ASD with you. It would be interesting to know more about their upbringings and learn what led to their distorted view of a healthy family relationships.

There's nothing wrong with them attending. And if they ask questions, who the f_ck cares. You're lucky to have them.
Last edited by suits00 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

commoner

New

Post by commoner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:31 am

I think you should do whatever makes YOU feel comfortable. Don't worry about anybody else. If you want your parents opinion on the school etc. by all means let them tag along.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:32 am

suits00 wrote:I kind of feel bad for the people who think it's so f__ked up to have your parents show their support and attend ASD with you. It would be interesting to know more about their upbringings and learn what led to their distorted view of a healthy family relationships.

There's nothing wrong with them attending.

I didn't know that embracing adulthood was a sign of a dysfunctional family-life.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:36 am

/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”