Is it weird to have your parents at ASD with you? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
suits00

Bronze

Re: Is it weird to have your parents at ASD with you?

Post by suits00 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:36 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
suits00 wrote:I kind of feel bad for the people who think it's so f__ked up to have your parents show their support and attend ASD with you. It would be interesting to know more about their upbringings and learn what led to their distorted view of a healthy family relationships.

There's nothing wrong with them attending.

I didn't know that embracing adulthood was a sign of a dysfunctional family-life.
Now you do. Let this be a learning experience.

commoner

New

Post by commoner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:38 am

suits00 wrote:I kind of feel bad for the people who think it's so f__ked up to have your parents show their support and attend ASD with you. It would be interesting to know more about their upbringings and learn what led to their distorted view of a healthy family relationships.

I didn't know that embracing adulthood was a sign of a dysfunctional family-life.
Shockingly even adults respect their parents opinions and may want their take on a school. I would love it if my dad or mom came along with me to an admitted students event.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:38 am

the son must kill the father

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:41 am

commoner wrote:

Shockingly even adults respect their parents opinions and may want their take on a school. I would love it if my dad or mom came along with me to an admitted students event.
In tlsp's defense (and mine since I'm completely agreeing with her here), those of us who are grown ass people with jobs and houses/apartments of our own might find this weirder than k-jds. I love my parents, but I make my own decisions and have done so for awhile.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:46 am

Look, if you want to be that person with the parents, have a good time.

It's completely ignorant, though, for you to assume that the reason the majority of law students don't bring their parents with them is because there's something wrong with their upbringing. That's insolent nonsense.

That'd be like me saying those who bring their parents are insecure and unable to do things on their own, which would be a gross over-generalization.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

commoner

New

Post by commoner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:47 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
commoner wrote:

In tlsp's defense (and mine since I'm completely agreeing with her here), those of us who are grown ass people with jobs and houses/apartments of our own might find this weirder than k-jds. I love my parents, but I make my own decisions and have done so for awhile.
This is an old topic on TLS. I have a job and my own place but I love my parents and if they would take time out of their busy schedules to check out a school with me it would be awesome. I could schmooze with the other big boys and girls as well!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:47 am

hellothisisme wrote:Or is this not so unusual?
it's unusual for ASD.

beezy08

Bronze

Post by beezy08 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:50 am

It IS possible to bring your parents and still make your own decisions. I guess since I have super laid back parents who respect my decisions and don't hover, I find this much easier. No one should be bringing their mommy along to hold their hand and solve problems for them, but bringing a parent to enjoy their company while maintaining a level of independence is certainly feasible. I don't know why people seem to think this is so contradictory.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:52 am

Many (most?) law schools do have a parents weekend. If your parents want to see the school and get a feel for what you are up to as a law student, this would be a great opportunity. I think it is odd to have parents come to the ASW. That's what the OP asked. It's not like its going to have a negative effect on your decisionmaking process or anything, but I do think the average person finds it a bit strange.

Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I had a blast at some of the ASWs going out with other prospectives and current law students. Wouldn't have wanted my parents there for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

commoner

New

Post by commoner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:53 am

beezy08 wrote:It IS possible to bring your parents and still make your own decisions. I guess since I have super laid back parents who respect my decisions and don't hover, I find this much easier. No one should be bringing their mommy along to hold their hand and solve problems for them, but bringing a parent to enjoy their company while maintaining a level of independence is certainly feasible. I don't know why people seem to think this is so contradictory.
What beezy said. I love the "Elf" avatar!

mathrev

New

Post by mathrev » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:57 am

I honestly think it's OK, depending on how it's done and what it's done for. In my case, I just wanted to share with my parent (who never graduated from college) a bit of my success. If it weren't for them, I don't think I'd ever have been able to get any of those acceptances, and by that I don't mean that they helped me write my essays or sat down with me to do my homework, but rather they gave me the much-needed financial support to give me the freedom to study, to prepare well for my lsat, and to apply to law schools. A lot of my friends worked full-time during college and got no financial support and now don't have the opportunities that I will have, so in my case, taking my parent to an ASW is a sign of thank you. Lastly, my parent was diagnosed with cancer and hasn't seen many parts of the US, so I'd like to take the ASW as an opportunity to say I visited X state with my parent, and we shared some good memories.

beezy08

Bronze

Post by beezy08 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:00 am

romothesavior wrote: Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I had a blast at some of the ASWs going out with other prospectives and current law students. Wouldn't have wanted my parents there for that.
That's when you leave mom and/or Dad at the hotel and assure them you'll be back and functioning in the morning.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 pm

I honestly wouldn't mind bringing my parents (or at least my mom). She's not overbearing and would be fine with sitting on the side while I was socializing. She'd also probably get bored halfway through and leave to find a place with free wifi.

So if your parents aren't clingly, I would say its ok just to observe. But I think most people wouldn't bring their parents because they don't want to be "that guy that brought their mom"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:45 pm

There's nothing wrong with them attending. And if they ask questions, who the f_ck cares. You're lucky to have them.
Not that it's so fucked up. But I, and other students who are not K-JD, would likely draw the conclusion that you are young and relatively immature. I have a good relationship with my parents, and one that I think is appropriate between parents and adult children. Just like my mom wouldn't bring her mom (who is 86) to visit, say, a potential new employer, I wouldn't bring my mom to ASW. My parents haven't been involved in my deciding to go to any school I've attended since high school (and my mom didn't come to visiting day at my high school either), and have not paid for any of my schooling. I guess it would just emphasize the differences between us. If you feel comfortable with that, go right ahead.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:00 pm

I think bringing them along to check out the campus, see where you'll be living and studying the next three years, isn't a bad thing. I wouldn't do it but I wouldn't call anyone immature if they did. It's like showing your family your new apartment.

But bringing them along to the alumni panels and other presentations is cringeworthy....

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:54 pm

If they're paying for it, I can see why they might want to come. If that's the case, suck it up and let them come.

If not, make them stay at home. Either way, this is your decision and you really shouldn't need them there...

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Take them on a tour after you're admitted. Don't take them to ASD.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:51 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Take them on a tour after you're admitted. Don't take them to ASD.

+1

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Didn't read thread; answer to title is yes...it is weird.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Related question: is it weird to have your parents help you move in?

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 pm

AmandaPB wrote:Related question: is it weird to have your parents help you move in?
I would say that it isn't weird, but that's just because I fucking hate moving, and the more people to help move = less work that I have to do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:40 pm

AmandaPB wrote:Related question: is it weird to have your parents help you move in?
This seems less weird than bringing them to ASW. Assuming you're relocating for law school and you don't have ties to your new location, how many people besides parents/siblings (edit: or people you pay) are going to help you move cross country?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:09 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote: I'm a grown ass wymyn.
Intervention! Intervention!

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:18 pm

Nelson wrote:
This seems less weird than bringing them to ASW. Assuming you're relocating for law school and you don't have ties to your new location, how many people besides parents/siblings (edit: or people you pay) are going to help you move cross country?
I’ll (probably) be moving >2000 miles away, no ties. I might bring my mom to help me move in, but she’s also slightly crazy so I might just have my family visit at a later date so as to not fuck up everyone’s first impression of me.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:21 pm

AmandaPB wrote:
Nelson wrote:
I’ll (probably) be moving >2000 miles away, no ties. I might bring my mom to help me move in, but she’s also slightly crazy so I might just have my family visit at a later date so as to not fuck up everyone’s first impression of me.
Yeah, I am thinking of having my parents help me move in too because... well, I don't own a car (and neither does my SO) and not really sure how to get all my stuff to school unless I take their help with driving, etc. I would prefer to avoid it and just move in on my own but I can't see an easier way around it. I just hope it's not considered weird, haha...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”