LSAC Forum in New York THIS month! Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
UnamSanctam

Platinum

Re: LSAC Forum in New York next month?

Post by UnamSanctam » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:14 am

Ginj wrote:
Kess wrote:Saturday. Even though I've heard Friday is less crowded of the two days, but I don't want to take off yet another day from work.

You're not flying in especially for this, are you?
I'm using this as an excuse. I have a friend at NYU Law that I can stay with, and I love NYC. Also, got my flight for $5 (thanks, frequent flier program!).
We're not talking about [redacted2] are we?

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:19 am

UnamSanctam wrote:
Ginj wrote:
Kess wrote:Saturday. Even though I've heard Friday is less crowded of the two days, but I don't want to take off yet another day from work.

I'm using this as an excuse. I have a friend at NYU Law that I can stay with, and I love NYC. Also, got my flight for $5 (thanks, frequent flier program!).
We're not talking about [redacted2] are we?
We are not. This is a girl I've been best friends with since high school. Though, we're having falafels with [redacted2] the night I get in. :D

eugenedmngz

New

Post by eugenedmngz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:44 pm

I plan on going on Friday. I don't live to far from this, but luckily I work on 6th Avenue, about 2 blocks away from the Hilton and get out of work at 12:00. So this is actually on my way to the train station, so I plan on stopping by to see how many fee waivers I can get.

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:51 pm

Ginj wrote:

Haha, very nice. I live in Brooklyn, so I am just a train ride away. Guess it makes sense to go just to see if I can get any cool fee waivers. lol

LawSchoolFanatic

New

Re: LSAC Forum in New York THIS month!

Post by LawSchoolFanatic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Ill be there on Friday!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:19 pm

My inbox is being raped with "We'd love to meet you at the NYC forum" emails. This better be worth it! lol

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:58 am

I'm going Saturday

OnceUponAMemo

Bronze

Post by OnceUponAMemo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:06 pm

I will be repping a school there. Hope lots of people show up and it's informative.

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:25 am

E'erbody that's coming on Saturday, try to locate me (I'm a chick. I have bright red hair. I am, how you say, a beacon). We'll go grab a beer during lunch and geek out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Well, this was pretty pointless.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:16 am

What a terrible waste of 45 minutes. I did have a super delishous dinner so def worth the trip though. Also I got to step around the protesters.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:04 am

I enjoyed my time while I was there. Although it was super crowded.

What did you guys not enjoy?

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Well, it was really crowded and really hot and all the schools I wanted had huge lines. Instead, I just went to the schools that gave out nice pens. And got a little change purse from Widener. lol. That's okay though because I love pens!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:57 pm

Kess wrote:Well, it was really crowded and really hot and all the schools I wanted had huge lines. Instead, I just went to the schools that gave out nice pens. And got a little change purse from Widener. lol. That's okay though because I love pens!
I got no such pens. :(

But yes some of the lines were ridiculous. I mean, I got to go to the Boston one in September which was far more organized in much better conditions and was able to speak to many of those schools.

This time I went to speak with some of my backup choices that I did not have a chance to speak to while at the Boston forum.

tanzie

New

Post by tanzie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 pm

Quick take - Forum sucked, I wouldn't recommend attending one of these in the future (unless you happen to enjoy getting side-eyed by cranky reps, sweating a little from claustrophobia, and having to pretend like the BS, blase answers to your legitimate, non-BS questions were satisfying and helpful.)

Not quick take - I went and was out of there in under an hour. Same sentiments as others here - crowded, hot, long-ish lines, and, at least in my experience, several reps were either rude or loaded with tons of incorrect/incomplete information. I asked specific questions about the specific programs that I was considering, and I was given generic responses that did not even remotely address my questions. I smiled and nodded politely, thanked the reps and walked away.

One of the schools I was checking out had a surprisingly long line (it's far from a T14...or even a T100), and I reached out my hand for a handshake and to briefly say hello to one of the reps before grabbing viewbooks and being on my way (figured it was the polite thing to do). The rep raised her voice, looked at me with an ominous glare and said, "UM EXCUSE ME, THIS PROSPECTIVE STUDENT WAS IN LINE BEFORE YOU." See ya.

The main reason I attended was to try to get a couple of fee waivers (didn't happen) and to get non-found-online info on some specific programs (I can't do campus visits because I can't take time off work). Neither goal was reached but at least I got a bitchin' furry vest at Zara on my way back home, so there's my silver lining.

Last time I went to the forum was in 2006 with a friend and it was an incredibly positive, informative, and productive experience. Maybe I was just a naive young student back then who didn't know what to expect/ask, but this year's forum was a total waste of time. It put me in such a bad mood that I haven't been able to get back into the groove of editing my PS.

I hope at least some of you guys had a better time than I did -- I know it really depends on the schools you talk to and perhaps who you're with (I went alone this time after a friend had to cancel last-minute). At least some of you guys scored free swag! :)

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Bumping for new year.

Anyone attending this beginning tomorrow?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Visits”